HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathieu Biron bought out by Florida: becomes an option for Gainey?

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Kafka

vCash: 500
Mathieu Biron bought out by Florida: becomes an option for Gainey?

Matthieu Biron got bought out today. I know is story, but admit I aven't seen him play last year, altought I know he was paired to Bouwmeester. He is an right-handed D-man that is huge. Since our UFA, Rivet and Komisarek won't play 82 games each, could Biron be a nice addition on the right side?

Old
07-28-2005, 03:26 PM
eddy

He wouldn't be a bad pick-up he's big, young and probly still has some potential but I really don't think it's needed. Assuming we sign a top 4 D all signing Biron would do is create one more defencemen fighting for the final roster spot. Being Boullion, Hainsey and Streit if he signs. I'd say MAYBE if Streit isn't signed but still not really necessasry to add a guy like him in our situation IMO.

Old
07-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Quiet Robert

I would pass if I were Gainey. He's big, but he plays with no physical edge whatsoever. He also isn't the best skater, and if the crackdown on obstruction is going to be real, then a slow footed, non-physical guy wouldn't be a real bonus.

He would most likely be a bottom pairing guy and in my opinion would really add nothing to the team. He's already been through 3 NHL teams in 5 seasons. I just don't see what he would bring to the team that would be considered an asset.

Old
07-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
I would pass if I were Gainey. He's big, but he plays with no physical edge whatsoever. He also isn't the best skater, and if the crackdown on obstruction is going to be real, then a slow footed, non-physical guy wouldn't be a real bonus.

He would most likely be a bottom pairing guy and in my opinion would really add nothing to the team. He's already been through 3 NHL teams in 5 seasons. I just don't see what he would bring to the team that would be considered an asset.
Well said. Biron was bought out even if he was scheduled to receive a very low paycheque of between 500-600K, that should tell you what his value is, especially when you consider how weak Florida's defense is. Heck, their fans are currently celebrating his departure on their board.

Biron might be big but he's soft as hell, making too much defensive mistakes and doesn't bring offensive numbers to the table. If you can't bring steady defense or offense, you don't deserve to be in the NHL, period.

The Habs don't need more depth on defense, we already have Komisarek/Rivet, Hainsey and possibly Bouillon and Streit for these spots. If the Habs add another defenseman, it will definitely be someone to play a top-4 role with the team and Biron certainly doesn't fit that bill.

However, I wouldn't mind adding a big tough 7th defenseman but they would have to clear some room first on the defense i.e. not re-signing bouillon or get rid of Hainsey for example.

Last edited by Mathieu Lavergne: 07-28-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old
07-28-2005, 03:55 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
If he can't make Florida, what place does he have with the Habs?

Old
07-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I would rather see Brad Ference as a 7th D. He's a RD who can play a semi-regular shift and fill in as an enforcer/pest.

Old
07-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Kafka

Our 7th d-man Bouillon, and the other ones (Streit and Hainsey) are all LD men. I know being a LD doesn't mean you can't play on the right side (since there is only a few RD man in the NHL), but still, Bouillon tried and it didn't work for him. As for the others, I really don't know if they are able to play on the right side. In fact, we don't even know if they can play on the left side in the NHL.

Old
07-29-2005, 09:03 AM
coaticook

unfortunately for biron, he is a defensive version of pierre dagenais...

Old
07-29-2005, 09:23 AM
skidboot

Why would we want a Cigar Store Indian playing Defense for us?

What a stiff.

Closed Thread