HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 Olympics to be played on international sized rinks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2011, 03:51 AM
  #1
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 38,632
vCash: 500
2014 Olympics to be played on international sized rinks

http://thenhlhotlist.azvibe.com/2011...l-sized-rinks/

__________________
http://halfboards.com/
Follow along on Twitter: http://twitter.com/azvibesports
Dolemite is offline  
Old
03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
  #2
RusskiyHockey
Registered User
 
RusskiyHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Good. While I think the Finnish rinks are the optimal size for any type of hockey competition, this is the right decision. The conversion of all hockey (including international and even European leagues) to the smaller rink would be a mistake, IMO. Hopefully this decision by the IIHF won't be used as argument for the NHL not to go. That would be very childish.

RusskiyHockey is offline  
Old
03-11-2011, 08:17 PM
  #3
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiyHockey View Post
Good. While I think the Finnish rinks are the optimal size for any type of hockey competition, this is the right decision. The conversion of all hockey (including international and even European leagues) to the smaller rink would be a mistake, IMO. Hopefully this decision by the IIHF won't be used as argument for the NHL not to go. That would be very childish.
While it shouldn't be much of a factor in the NHL debate of going in the Olympics or not, that would (hopefully!) force Canada and the U.S. to consider including European major-league players into their rosters.

If not, they should build their teams with speedy players.

Mathradio is offline  
Old
03-12-2011, 08:23 AM
  #4
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
While it shouldn't be much of a factor in the NHL debate of going in the Olympics or not, that would (hopefully!) force Canada and the U.S. to consider including European major-league players into their rosters.

If not, they should build their teams with speedy players.
There isn't a Canadian player in Europe who's a better choice for the Olympics than a player from the NHL. There's a reason that Euro-based players are just token additions to even the World Championships roster.

Seriously, why would you hope for Euro-based players when the best players would be invited?

Roughneck is offline  
Old
03-12-2011, 11:04 AM
  #5
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
There isn't a Canadian player in Europe who's a better choice for the Olympics than a player from the NHL. There's a reason that Euro-based players are just token additions to even the World Championships roster.

Seriously, why would you hope for Euro-based players when the best players would be invited?
There are NHL rejects that tore it up in the European leagues; these players could play well on international rinks. The best of these Canadian/American NHL rejects play like the Euro-based players European teams play with at the Olympics. (For the record, even when the Olympics were played on NHL-sized rinks, every European team had at least one Euro-based player on their roster, even Sweden or Finland)

The vast majority of the players on the Canadian and U.S. teams will still be NHL players, that much I'll grant you.

Mathradio is offline  
Old
03-12-2011, 12:14 PM
  #6
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
There are NHL rejects that tore it up in the European leagues; these players could play well on international rinks. The best of these Canadian/American NHL rejects play like the Euro-based players European teams play with at the Olympics. (For the record, even when the Olympics were played on NHL-sized rinks, every European team had at least one Euro-based player on their roster, even Sweden or Finland)
There are different reasons why an NHL calibre player from Europe will stay in Europe. If a Canadian goes over its because they couldn't earn a regular NHL paycheck and aren't as good as at least the 50 guys on the "shortlist". There's a reason Hnat Dommenicelli plays for Switzerland instead of Canada and it has nothing to do with ice size.

But I'm sure the stalwarts of Canada's European talent pool like Brendan Bell and Yannick Lehoux will be able to edge out Canada's bubble players because they're used to the big ice

Quote:
The vast majority of the players on the Canadian and U.S. teams will still be NHL players, that much I'll grant you.
No, every player would be an NHL player on Canada and the U.S.

Roughneck is offline  
Old
03-12-2011, 02:51 PM
  #7
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
I would be pretty disappointed if Olympic hockey was played in Russia on North American sized ice. The European teams have come to North America for best on best tournaments and played on North American sized ice a disproportionate amount of times.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
03-12-2011, 02:55 PM
  #8
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
While it shouldn't be much of a factor in the NHL debate of going in the Olympics or not, that would (hopefully!) force Canada and the U.S. to consider including European major-league players into their rosters.

If not, they should build their teams with speedy players.
Team Canada if not team USA has proven several times that the can handle a larger ice quite well, so I dont think that will be a factor when desiding who's going to play.

Tomas W is offline  
Old
03-12-2011, 07:12 PM
  #9
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Team Canada if not team USA has proven several times that the can handle a larger ice quite well, so I dont think that will be a factor when desiding who's going to play.
I think they will consider it, but mainly just that they will give preference to players that are strong skaters provided their overall games are basically equal. I would be shocked if either team was crazy enough to pick a player who plays in Europe.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
03-13-2011, 09:59 AM
  #10
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I think they will consider it, but mainly just that they will give preference to players that are strong skaters provided their overall games are basically equal. I would be shocked if either team was crazy enough to pick a player who plays in Europe.
yeah well, maybe. The defenders need to be prepared to cover more ice.


Last edited by Tomas W: 03-13-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Tomas W is offline  
Old
03-13-2011, 11:25 AM
  #11
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The lunatic fridge
Country: Finland
Posts: 50,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiyHockey View Post
Good. While I think the Finnish rinks are the optimal size for any type of hockey competition, this is the right decision.
Not every rink in Finland is narrower than 30 m. Majority are international size. Though I think for best-on-best tournaments 28 X 60 rink should be considered as a rule.

Jussi is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.