HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where do you rank Theodore league-wide?

View Poll Results: Rank Theodore league-wide
Top 3 12 7.84%
Top 5 79 51.63%
Top 10 56 36.60%
Pffft -- Top 30 6 3.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2005, 08:17 AM
eddy

vCash: 500
top 5 and when he's at his best top 3.

Old
07-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D
on most nights : 6th, maybe 7th in the league

when hes hot: second to marty. impossible to beat.
Brodeur is just a product of Stevens and Devil's neutral-zone trap. That's not saying he is no good but definitely I won't put him on top.
When Theodore is hot he is No.1 in the league (he did not get MVP for nothing) but he had problem with his family affairs in last 2-3 years.

Old
07-29-2005, 08:51 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez
Funny how everybody ranks him in at least the top-10 and yet say he isn't our franchise player nor deserve 4.6 M$. This is non sense.
Lol, good point. I wonder when it will start to sink in.

My list:

1. Brodeur
2. Nabokov
3. Luongo
4. Turco
5. Theodore

But I am very curious to see how Luongo plays this year with the reduction of goalie equipment. I still think the best is yet to come from Theo and he will be top 2/3 in the league very soon.

Old
07-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Darz

Top 5 right now, by the end of the upcoming season, he will be routinely talked about as top 3 (and a finalist for the Vezina).

I think the new equipment size rules will help the goalies with great reflexes, and hurt the guys who depend more on positioning.

I expect a big year from Jose!!!!!

07-29-2005, 09:12 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Top 5, WHEN on his game. When hes off his game, hes very avg. Hes got to become more consistent. Only then will he be a top 5 imo. As of of now, id say top 10, somewhere around 6th.

1. Marty
2. Roberto
3. Nicky
4. Mikka
5. Belfour (old, but still very good!!)
6. Theo

Having said that, if he ever becomes consistent, he could easily be a top 3, and be right up there with Roberto and Marty.
I'll go with this, but if Luongo and Theo ever get some defensive support, they'll move up the list.

And Kipper has to prove he's for real. I think he is, because I lived in the Bay Area and I watched him coming up. I think he's the real deal, so he probably will move up the list too.

Belfour probably deserves to be there, I agree, but I bet he's gonna drop out of there soon.

Esche has the potential to take Belfour's place I think. He's incredibly athletic and has a good glove.

I've seen Nabokov and Turco struggle, so I'm not ready to put them top 5. I think they are below Theo at this point.

Old
07-29-2005, 09:15 AM
zurg999

I think my instinct is think just outside the top 5 but then I think how many times he has been good in the clutch. Kind of in the mold of Fuhr, looked awful at times when it didn't matter but always seemed to show up when it counted. Thing is he hasnt had a lot of help in the past and that has to be considered too.

Old
07-29-2005, 09:16 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

he's seriously overrated. imo, he'a the most overrated player in the whole league.

I can't wait to see you coming back on earth guys. Theodore sucks, and everyone is going to acknowledge that sooner than later.

Old
07-29-2005, 09:19 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry
he's seriously overrated. imo, he'a the most overrated player in the whole league.

I can't wait to see you coming back on earth guys. Theodore sucks, and everyone is going to acknowledge that sooner than later.
Someone's having a bad morning.

Old
07-29-2005, 09:20 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:

We'll see how you feel when he puts up .930+ SP with a defense in front of him. But nobody will be satisfied until he wins a Cup....this is Montreal after all.

Old
07-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Darz

Quote:

Well he is 29 and has 332 NHL games (along with 2 all star game appearances and a Hart trophy) under his belt to date. If everybody is going to acknowledge that, they better start doing it soon, cause if might be harder when he makes a couple more all star appearances and wins some more hardware.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
We'll see how you feel when he puts up .930+ SP with a defense in front of him. But nobody will be satisfied until he wins a Cup....this is Montreal after all.
That pretty much says it right there. Montreal fans have been spoiled by greatness (Patrick Roy/Stanley Cup's) that anything short of that is not good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Top 5 right now, by the end of the upcoming season, he will be routinely talked about as top 3 (and a finalist for the Vezina).

I think the new equipment size rules will help the goalies with great reflexes, and hurt the guys who depend more on positioning.

I expect a big year from Jose!!!!!
I agree completely. Theo is going to be huge this year!

Old
07-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Top 10. I think is around 6th or something like that.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez
Funny how everybody ranks him in at least the top-10 and yet say he isn't our franchise player nor deserve 4.6 M$. This is non sense.
That's some twisted logic. There are more or less 30 starting goalies in this league. Being 10th out of 30th is being in the upper tier.

Comparatively, if there are 120 centers, being in the top 40 would mean being in the upper tier.

Quote:
Try to name me a Top 10 player we have at another position on the Habs team right now. Yes I know there just isn't any
It's arguable that Koivu is a top 15 center in this league. Which IMO is definately comparable to being a top 10 goalie.

The bottom line is Theodore IS indeed overated. He's not anything special. A good keeper. He's not a sieve like Lalime or Cechmanek. But he's not in the top 5 IMO. And he's comparable to many goalies that are beyond the top 5 all the way up to the top 15.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
I agree completely. Theo is going to be huge this year!
If you thought he was "huge" in 03-04 then ok, maybe. Don't expect to see much better though.

I just hope he's going to find his game in the playoffs.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:02 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I voted top 5.

I'd put only Brodeur, Luongo, Khabibulin and Nabokov and on some days Turco ahead of him at this point.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I voted Top 3, but I acknowledge that is fairly generous, as Theo is my favourite player.

I think when he wants to play, he's a stud netminder, and any team in the league, except New Jersey would want him. However, the 2002-03 season showed me that he faces confidence issues, and for a goalie to be considered a "great," he needs to be able to overcome that. He has been somewhat sketchy in the playoffs, having some great games (last 3 games of the Boston series in 2002 and 2004), and having some terrible games (game 5 of the Carolina series in 2002, and most games in the Tampa series in 2004). He'll need to improve on that, without a doubt. Patrick Roy had a few shaky games in the playoffs, with us, and the Avs, but for the most part, he was more than reliable. I hope Theodore can reach that level, and sustain it for a longer period of time than Giguere and Kiprusoff (although Kipper can still sustain it I guess, we'll just have to wait and see).

That said, I find that most goalies in the league today are inconsistent and have major question marks, other than Brodeur. Perhaps this notion comes from that fact that only Brodeur, Vernon, Osgood* (by the virtue of playing on the team that could do no wrong) Roy, Hasek and Belfour have won Cups in the past decade, and thus only these goalies are seen as legit and complete. Khabibulin's victory marks a changing of the times I believe, and even some who saw in 03-04 would say that he has consistency problems. The goalies who are mentioned ahead of Theodore, such as Luongo, Khabibulin, Nabokov, Turco, Kiprusoff, etc... all have issues too, and I think we might be underestimating them, and overstating Theodore's weaknesses, because we see him the most.

* In regards to Osgood, he's the only goalie in the past decade to win, and not get much credit. He was pretty bad in the 1998 playoffs, from what I saw. He let in goals from half in nearly every series, and would have deflated his team, if Detroit's offensive stars hadn't bailed him out. He played well in some games, but every goalie in the league is capable of doing that once in a while.

Closed Thread