HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Live viewing: Ryan Strome

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2011, 06:39 PM
  #1
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
Live viewing: Ryan Strome

Friday Niagara is coming to town to play against the 67s. I'm going to be there with my dad and my little brother. I'll be focusing mostly on Strome and I'll probably do a write-up similar to the one that I have posted of Landeskog in the "homework assignment" topic here on page 2.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=886239&page=2

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
  #2
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Nice. I'll be at this game as well. Looking forward to seeing Dougie Hamilton as well as Strome.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:45 PM
  #3
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Nice. I'll be at this game as well. Looking forward to seeing Dougie Hamilton as well as Strome.
Yeah. Hamilton will be nice to watch; didn't mention him because I think there's about a 0.01% chance we draft him.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:47 PM
  #4
senswon
Registered User
 
senswon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: vandrizzle
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,197
vCash: 500
Thanks for doing these threads.....some us are a little far away to see these games (Vancouver).....

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:58 PM
  #5
hockeyalltheway
Moderator
Get well soon, GMBM.
 
hockeyalltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,630
vCash: 500
I'll be there, for sure. Had a great time at the Kitchener game today, expecting another fun game watching Strome.

hockeyalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
  #6
hockeyalltheway
Moderator
Get well soon, GMBM.
 
hockeyalltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,630
vCash: 500
Anyone else coming to this game? With the Sens doing well and Florida/Colorado tanking, drafting Strome is a real possibility.

hockeyalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:02 PM
  #7
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
I would want to draft him anyway, so I'm ecstatic. Can't wait for Friday.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:42 AM
  #8
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher
 
JonnyMacSen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Wanted to go but don't think I'm going to be able to make it, will have to settle with the TV. Probably going to the Oshawa game next week to watch Jensen, Jenner and Lessio though!

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:40 AM
  #9
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
Alright...quick notes because I'm tired. I had a great time and it was a very exciting game to watch with a lot of emotion and a rowdy crowd.

Good
- Strome's puck movement is crazy good. He handles that puck so well -- great puck carrier with amazing hands.
- Responsible defensively. He made some really good defensive plays including a lifted stick in the 2nd period that prevented what, I assume, could have been a sure goal. He's got a quick stick and had some decent takeaways and was causing trouble in the neutral zone all game.
- Great skating. He's fast and he's got a good first step. He's mobile.
- Surprisingly good in the corners. He's not very thick, and not overly tall, so I expected him to get pushed around a lot more. He only really got pinned against the boards once that I saw.
- Faceoffs were great. I didn't exactly count down to the exact number, but he lost 5 faceoffs all night and he took at least 15. I was really surprised. Quick stick.
- Insane shot. Laser shot. I can't say enough about his shot. His wrister is decent (my seat was right near where they were warming up) but he's a straight snipeshow with his slapper.
- Created good opportunities with passing. Great vision and hockey IQ moving around into great spaces and always following the play (defensively and offensively)

Negatives
- Nothing. HAHA JUST KIDDING
- He did make a defensive gaff on the second goal. I don't think it was really his fault, but he didn't get to the open man fast enough to prevent the goal. He could have been better.
- A couple picked off passes. They looked smooth but just ended up getting caught on sticks.
- Smallish. He's not overly tall (around 6' I'd say) and he looks kind of on the thin side. I guessed 185 before but I'd say it's closer to 170 - 175. He didn't really get bullied around, but I could see that happening.
- At points didn't really get much of a chance to get involved in the game. I wouldn't say it was his fault though as the 67s were clearly playing much better than the Ice Dogs in general.

Anyway those are my points. I know people will just write them off but I had great seats (as I said before, 7 rows from the ice in the middle) and I'm trying to be as objective as possible. It was cool though because I yelled at him during warm up and he smacked his stick against the glass at me I'm assuming in acknowledgment. Neat I guess even though I feel dirty, like a 16 year old girl or something.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:56 AM
  #10
Laszlo Panaflex
Registered User
 
Laszlo Panaflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Alright...quick notes because I'm tired. I had a great time and it was a very exciting game to watch with a lot of emotion and a rowdy crowd.

Good
- Strome's puck movement is crazy good. He handles that puck so well -- great puck carrier with amazing hands.
- Responsible defensively. He made some really good defensive plays including a lifted stick in the 2nd period that prevented what, I assume, could have been a sure goal. He's got a quick stick and had some decent takeaways and was causing trouble in the neutral zone all game.
- Great skating. He's fast and he's got a good first step. He's mobile.
- Surprisingly good in the corners. He's not very thick, and not overly tall, so I expected him to get pushed around a lot more. He only really got pinned against the boards once that I saw.
- Faceoffs were great. I didn't exactly count down to the exact number, but he lost 5 faceoffs all night and he took at least 15. I was really surprised. Quick stick.
- Insane shot. Laser shot. I can't say enough about his shot. His wrister is decent (my seat was right near where they were warming up) but he's a straight snipeshow with his slapper.
- Created good opportunities with passing. Great vision and hockey IQ moving around into great spaces and always following the play (defensively and offensively)

Negatives
- Nothing. HAHA JUST KIDDING
- He did make a defensive gaff on the second goal. I don't think it was really his fault, but he didn't get to the open man fast enough to prevent the goal. He could have been better.
- A couple picked off passes. They looked smooth but just ended up getting caught on sticks.
- Smallish. He's not overly tall (around 6' I'd say) and he looks kind of on the thin side. I guessed 185 before but I'd say it's closer to 170 - 175. He didn't really get bullied around, but I could see that happening.
- At points didn't really get much of a chance to get involved in the game. I wouldn't say it was his fault though as the 67s were clearly playing much better than the Ice Dogs in general.

Anyway those are my points. I know people will just write them off but I had great seats (as I said before, 7 rows from the ice in the middle) and I'm trying to be as objective as possible. It was cool though because I yelled at him during warm up and he smacked his stick against the glass at me I'm assuming in acknowledgment. Neat I guess even though I feel dirty, like a 16 year old girl or something.
Thanks a lot for writing this up. I have never seen him play, so it's nice to hear about his strengths and weaknesses. I hope you had a good time at the game.

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:27 AM
  #11
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,479
vCash: 500
As far as being a potential top 4 pick, he didn't really wow me at all tonight. The one goal was a good slap shot, open to the goaltender that he let slip through, good shot, but not a good goal. Second goal was a high caliber one timer, basically Hamilton and Strome connecting on something most of the kids on the ice, including the goaltender couldn't keep up with.

Other than that I didn't think he had a great night. Made some good efforts displaying some vision and the willingness to use it, moderate success. He is talented, he's a good skater, he's got good hands, but none of it really elite to me. The thing is, he's shown the ability to be a bit of a sniper, and he's got a bit of a cannon. The one timer tonight was NHL caliber.

If his shot is for real, his upside is strong. Looks like a kid who's pretty good at everything and can shoot the puck, his frame looks like its got room for quite a bit more bulk

He's probably quite a bit like Tyler Seguin, just not quite as fast all around.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:01 AM
  #12
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
I forgot to mention he's got really, really shifty skating. He kept the defence guessing and I think I saw him lose the puck a total of once the entire night when he was carrying it. He really handles the puck well and avoids checks well which is good because of his size.

I remember one play in particular when the puck was dumped in and he was chasing it but a defender was in front of him where he was zig-zagging side to side and the defender was trying to cut him off but couldn't, Strome ended up getting the puck bringing it around behind the net and then passing it in front for a scoring opportunity. Really nice, high caliber stuff.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:05 AM
  #13
Alfieghetti
inflamed
 
Alfieghetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
To be honest I don't see a lot of NHL potential there. He seems like another Svitov-type.

Alfieghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:44 AM
  #14
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
I now see why scouts have him as part of that "second tier" of the top 10. Here's what I saw:

Pro:
- Have a nice slapper displayed in OT
- Clutch
- Good ability to find open space
- Shifty when holding the puck

Cons:
- Outside of the powerplay, not a puck possession player
- Didn't show to be a great playmaker, I don't see elite hockey vision in him
- Tentative with puck at times
- Looks small

Overall, he looked as impressive as Jonathan Huberdeau. Both of them looks to have a steep learning curve if they want to transition their game into the NHL.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:56 AM
  #15
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Outside of the powerplay, not a puck possession player
Weird, everything else is your opinion but Strome had the puck on his stick more than anyone else on his team last night and he carried it most of the time often cutting back and handling it before making passes off. He also found a lot of open passes from behind the net and across the ice in particular where his teammates fumbled akin to how Spezza makes elite passes that his teammates can capitalize on right now.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:02 AM
  #16
Suiteness
Registered User
 
Suiteness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Time to Rebuild
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
So would ya'll say this guy compares to Nazem Kadri?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:03 AM
  #17
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
So would ya'll this guy compares to Nazem Kadri?
Not at all in any way.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:04 AM
  #18
Suiteness
Registered User
 
Suiteness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Time to Rebuild
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Not at all in any way.
What would be the differences then?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:11 AM
  #19
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
What would be the differences then?
Amazing shot, better vision and overall hockey IQ (follows the play everywhere on the ice), better skating, I would almost say that he's a shoot first player though he has really nice passes. He's also better along the boards. He doesn't have the same flashy style either -- like he has moves but he doesn't seem to over use them and he's better at carrying the puck + creating space.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:13 AM
  #20
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
He didn't carry the puck as much as like to see. Often when he does carry the puck, he's able to hold off the defender by being shifty. But it's never too long before he either dumps the puck in or make a rushed pass. He definitely had a few great passes too so I don't want to discredit his hockey vision entirely. The 67s was fine with just putting one defender on him all game so I think resulted in a lot of deflected passes. If he can work on being harder to contain with the puck, he will draw more defenders on him and create space.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:14 AM
  #21
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
What would be the differences then?
A big one: One timer ability! Kadri is horrendous in that department.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:16 AM
  #22
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
He didn't carry the puck as much as like to see. Often when he does carry the puck, he's able to hold off the defender by being shifty. But it's never too long before he either dumps the puck in or make a rushed pass. He definitely had a few great passes too so I don't want to discredit his hockey vision entirely. The 67s was fine with just putting one defender on him all game so I think resulted in a lot of deflected passes. If he can work on being harder to contain with the puck, he will draw more defenders on him and create space.
The problem is that the 67s were just the much better team on the night I found. It's hard for me to place the blame on Strome when he did so many good things against a team they were clearly outmatched by. But to each his own, like I said I know I'm going to be viewed as biased and I'm not going to bash people for their opinions. I was impressed, especially by his clutch play and his shot, but not everyone has to be.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:23 AM
  #23
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,710
vCash: 500
If we're picking with the 5th, I'd be happy to have him. That was my opinion before seeing him and that hasn't changed. He's probably a little further from the NHL than I thought, but that's fine with me b/c he's a very talented player.

How about Dougie Hamilton? If he falls to Nashville's pick (highly unlikely I know), we'd definitely have to pick him. His face looks like an 8 year old, but as soon as put on the helmet and play, WOW. Plays like a man amongst boys. He's still very raw but you can tell he's definitely going to be an NHLer with the combination of his size and his silky smooth skating, not to mention some offensive ability as well.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:33 AM
  #24
CR15
Registered User
 
CR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,453
vCash: 500
For anyone saying he does not seem like much of a playmaker he was voted best playmaker in the eastern confrence in the Ohl coaches poll (by a landslide) I would think that crowd knows what their talking about.

CR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:34 AM
  #25
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR15 View Post
For anyone saying he does not seem like much of a playmaker he was voted best playmaker in the eastern confrence in the Ohl coaches poll (by a landslide) I would think that crowd knows what their talking about.
Yep, and Shane Prince got 2nd.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.