HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ontario Center Ice Arena, Anyone Play There?

Old
03-12-2011, 01:06 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Ontario Center Ice Arena, Anyone Play There?

So I haven't played hockey in years, but lately I've had an itching to get back into it. Where I live (the desert), there's absolutely no hockey, NOTHING.

The nearest facility is Ontario Center Ice, just curious to know if anyone has played there. What's it like?

I see they have pick-up hockey and stick time on Fridays. I'm thinking about going, but I'm a little apprehensive because I haven't played in so long and most of my experience is with inline.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Let's play some roller...I live in chino. I'm down for the corona or west covina rink. I can't stop on ice otherwords I would give it try lol.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:27 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Let's play some roller...I live in chino. I'm down for the corona or west covina rink. I can't stop on ice otherwords I would give it try lol.
That's what practice is for! Stopping is completely different in ice and roller but with a little practice you'll catch on. I've played at Ontario in the past, so far in almost 8 years of full time ice hockey I like their ice the best. That and they keep it very cold inside.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:30 AM
eleventy

Only thing I don't like about Ontario is that they only have 1 rink... but I agree, the ice there is pretty awesome.

their ice is second only to Artesia. That's the best ice i've ever played on.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:32 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
So I haven't played hockey in years, but lately I've had an itching to get back into it. Where I live (the desert), there's absolutely no hockey, NOTHING.

The nearest facility is Ontario Center Ice, just curious to know if anyone has played there. What's it like?

I see they have pick-up hockey and stick time on Fridays. I'm thinking about going, but I'm a little apprehensive because I haven't played in so long and most of my experience is with inline.

Honestly, you should go to a stick time one Friday, see the skill level of the pick up and judge yourself (as well as getting your "ice legs" back. But it really shouldn't be a problem for you, I've seen the adult pick-up at Ice Station (Valencia) most of the guys are tri-pods and couldn't skate much without their stick...and its not taken to serious where if you were a step or 2 behind it wouldn't be noticeable.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:44 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Man I'd love to, but I don't want to drive any farther than I have to. The Ontario facility is already 80 miles away from where I live.

I actually work at an Army base called Ft Irwin, and they have a nice inline hockey rink here. The government even spent a bunch of money on tons of brand new hockey equipment that anyone can rent/use if they want to play hockey. No one ever does though, it's a total waste. A damn shame.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:04 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Man I'd love to, but I don't want to drive any farther than I have to. The Ontario facility is already 80 miles away from where I live.

I actually work at an Army base called Ft Irwin, and they have a nice inline hockey rink here. The government even spent a bunch of money on tons of brand new hockey equipment that anyone can rent/use if they want to play hockey. No one ever does though, it's a total waste. A damn shame.
Hey John,

I am guessing you live out past Indio, or way up by the Marine base?

I spent 3 years out in Palm Springs area, is Ontario ice place the same as Riverside Town Centre, or something like that?

Also, is that a new ice rink, or just a revision of the old old rink?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Ontario's rink has gone down hill recently but the Kwan Family just bought it so they're trying to make it back to what it was. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

I know they've made a lot of changes(I filled in on a friends team last weekend and the sub fee was $30, seemed high). We'll see.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:45 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Riverside Ice Town has also pumped a lot of money into their facility. Hopefully, that's a strategy that other rink owners take.

Old
03-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I haven't played at Center Ice for a few years but I remember the skill level of the pickup being pretty good. I don't know if that has changed at all but it shouldn't matter anyway. Pickup is for everyone but sometimes you get a-holes there who "would've made it if weren't for that nagging injury or the coach didn't hate them".

The ice surface there is nice and it is a big rink.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I haven't played at Center Ice for a few years but I remember the skill level of the pickup being pretty good. I don't know if that has changed at all but it shouldn't matter anyway. Pickup is for everyone but sometimes you get a-holes there who "would've made it if weren't for that nagging injury or the coach didn't hate them".
sounds like my co-worker.

He's 43 and still expecting the call

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventy View Post
Only thing I don't like about Ontario is that they only have 1 rink... but I agree, the ice there is pretty awesome.

their ice is second only to Artesia. That's the best ice i've ever played on.
The ice at Valencia is good too. Just far.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 05:01 PM
johnjm22

Well I haven't got a chance to make it out to the Ontario rink yet, but I did find an adult inline hockey league in Fontana, which is a little closer to me. From the sounds of it, the league is pretty healthy, they've got six team already and are looking to add a seventh. Games start on the 1st Thursday of next month. If anyone is interested, you can call the Fontana Sports Office at (909) 428-8864 or send an email to sports@fontana.org.

Old
03-17-2011, 05:07 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Hey John,

I am guessing you live out past Indio, or way up by the Marine base?

I spent 3 years out in Palm Springs area, is Ontario ice place the same as Riverside Town Centre, or something like that?

Also, is that a new ice rink, or just a revision of the old old rink?
I live way to the North of Indio in a small desert town called Barstow. There is a marine base here.

The Ontario Center Ice Arena, and the Riverside rink are two completely separate places. The Ontario rink has been there for awhile and is currently under new ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Ontario's rink has gone down hill recently but the Kwan Family just bought it so they're trying to make it back to what it was. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

I know they've made a lot of changes(I filled in on a friends team last weekend and the sub fee was $30, seemed high). We'll see.
Well they just revamped the website, which mean they're active, and they plan on putting in a pro shop. Sounds like things are headed in the right direction.

Old
03-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

^ I know two of my friends who post on here occasionally played there recently.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 06:35 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:

I played at Ontario for about 3years then left because of prices. When i was there it was around 350 for a 10game season and when i left they wanted upwards of 500 for a 15 game season, so i split. I know a lot for ppl on here say they have pretty good ice but i never experienced that. Because its only one rink and they always have public skate typically before game time the ice usually sucked when i would play. Divots from figure skaters all over the place on top of ppl screwing around and making long deep cuts in the ice. If you were in the later portion of the schedule and we maybe the 3 or 4th game of the evening the ice was even worse at that point for obvious reasons. With one rink, the ice is way over used and makes it difficult when the puck is bouncing all over the place half way through the second.

Ice Town in riverside is a really solid place to play. Competition level there is much higher than at Ontario and the second rink serves as good relief. I definitely recommend ice town but if you're just starting out playing again then Ontario isnt bad plus its a little closer for you.

Quote:
Played at th corona rink for years, love that place. started off as a roller hockey player when i was a kid then moved to ice. Most of my friends only play roller so we had an adult team at corona till about a year ago. Its actually a really good rink and they were making tons of improvements when i was there. I'd love to get back to playing some roller on weeknights at that place. my only problem is i have a 50/50 custody agreement so my availability changes from week to week.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 06:49 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Havent played anywhere in the IE for decades, excepting the old Ice Capades chalet In palm Desert which is no longer in existence.

I have friends that play there in a fairly competitve league, (Fairly being relative and all)

I skate often at El Segundo. The ice on the Olympic sucks, while the NHL rink, the Kings practice ice is good but not great. Its funny because having skated at Staples numerous times, that ice is great and fast, and you would think the practice ice which is never coverd by wood flooring as is Staples would be better. Good ice is best, but ice is ice (not really, but you'll play if you love the game) Oh well, as the saying goes, "When hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too!"

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 06:57 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:

Well they just revamped the website, which mean they're active, and they plan on putting in a pro shop. Sounds like things are headed in the right direction.
When i played there they already had a pro shop. Dont know if the owner of the shop closed it since then or if your referring to the old Ontario Jets old rink? there's anctually two ice rinks about 3 or 4 miles from one another on the same street in ontario (Holt ave). Center ice is one and the other one is Ontario Ice (i think, it used to have the big ontario jets logo on the wall). Two different rinks but on the same street not too far from one another

But yea, Center Ice should already have a pro shop in it, its been there since the rink was built.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:20 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
I played at Ontario for about 3years then left because of prices. When i was there it was around 350 for a 10game season and when i left they wanted upwards of 500 for a 15 game season, so i split. I know a lot for ppl on here say they have pretty good ice but i never experienced that. Because its only one rink and they always have public skate typically before game time the ice usually sucked when i would play. Divots from figure skaters all over the place on top of ppl screwing around and making long deep cuts in the ice. If you were in the later portion of the schedule and we maybe the 3 or 4th game of the evening the ice was even worse at that point for obvious reasons. With one rink, the ice is way over used and makes it difficult when the puck is bouncing all over the place half way through the second.

Ice Town in riverside is a really solid place to play. Competition level there is much higher than at Ontario and the second rink serves as good relief. I definitely recommend ice town but if you're just starting out playing again then Ontario isnt bad plus its a little closer for you.
Couldn't that be said of most beer league hockey rinks? ...I'm sure there's exceptions of course.

This is one reason why I prefer inline over ice; a consistent playing surface.

Old
03-17-2011, 11:57 PM
sjmay*

Hey John,

Yea, I know where Barstow is, didn't know they had a base out there as well, I am wondering if Palmdale/Lancaster/Antelope Valley might be closer for you, it's been a good 15 year since I've been out that way, but you cut across Pearblossom highway and you are right there pretty much..

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Ice Town has just put in a rock climbing wall, a gym, put in bigger stands for the fans and upgraded the showers. They also put in automatic sliding doors in the entrance and the meat locker hanging things to keep the cold air in. It looks much nicer but as a business owner myself I'm struggling to find a reason why you would put weights and a rock climbing wall inside of a hockey rink. Last year they completely took out the ice and out in new sand and coils. The B rink is smaller than regulation.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
johnjm22

What's the best sporting goods store around for hockey equipment? (inline & ice)

I know of Hockey Monkey in Corona, but I'd prefer something on the North side a little closer to me.

Old
03-18-2011, 12:55 PM
kingdoughty

Quote:

that was one of the rinks i grew up playing at...

it has different ownership so i'm not really sure how things go there any more, but usually the pickups get a good amount of people. one thing i hated about that place was they didnt zam the ice before sticktime, but since there's new ownership that might've changed...

and also that have some pretty fun beer leagues...my dad used to play in one

kingdoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 12:56 PM
kingdoughty

Quote:
What's the best sporting goods store around for hockey equipment? (inline & ice)

I know of Hockey Monkey in Corona, but I'd prefer something on the North side a little closer to me.
hockey giant in anaheim is the only one i can think of that is as good as hockey monkey...why not just buy online?

kingdoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 01:03 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:

Ice Town in Riverside also has a Hockey Monkey pro shop. We're sponsored by them. I don't know of any stores between Barstow and there.