HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Any news on Parse?

Old
03-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Any news on Parse?

Has anything new come out since the news of the setback a few weeks back?

I think if we could get this guy back for the playoffs it would be a huge addition to the second line, which has done nothing in quite some time.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

no room for him

you put him on the 2nd line and where does Smyth go??

You cant scratch Smyth since you are then taking a 20 goalscorer out of the lineup which doesnt help the offence.

Smyth wouldnt work on the 3rd line alongside Handzus, and id rather Clifford than him on the 4th line.

There is no room for Parse unless an injury happens

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I think if Parse can play at the level he played at last season and for the little he played this season he is an improvement over Smyth.

Smyth has 3 goals in his past 27 games. We cannot give out Top 6 minutes based on what people have done in the past. We need an improvement in skill and speed on that line and Parse could provide it.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

id like a Parse - Lewis - Richardson 4th line, with Clifford bumped to 3rd and Poni to the 2nd.

But that wont happen

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
There's no guarantee he'll be back to his speedy self when he returns. He could go all Marco Sturm on us.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The top 6 is cemented now. There is literally no room for him. His injury unfortunately put him virtually off the team. After the Penner trade, there is no room on either wing. Penner, Smyth, and Clifford on the left and Williams, Brown, and Simmonds on the right. None of those guys are going anywhere and there is no way Parse can bump any of them. He will end up back in Manchester, somewhere else for a mid to low pick, or a trade for another depth player. His only hope was to be the answer to our top 6 left wing problems, it was a slim chance from the start, though he is skilled, he won't have the opportunity to prove it in LA.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Parse will be on the team next season.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The top 6 is cemented now. There is literally no room for him. His injury unfortunately put him virtually off the team. After the Penner trade, there is no room on either wing. Penner, Smyth, and Clifford on the left and Williams, Brown, and Simmonds on the right. None of those guys are going anywhere and there is no way Parse can bump any of them. He will end up back in Manchester, somewhere else for a mid to low pick, or a trade for another depth player. His only hope was to be the answer to our top 6 left wing problems, it was a slim chance from the start, though he is skilled, he won't have the opportunity to prove it in LA.
I don't see how this line of thinking makes any sense, in pro sports there should be accountability for how you play and no ones spot should ever be "cemented". If he can improve the team he should be given a chance.

Since February 1st

Stoll (18GP, 4G, 2A, -9)
Smyth (18GP, 1G, 6A, -6)
Brown (18GP, 4G, 4A, +4)

Let's face it, these guys aren't cutting it offensively or defensively. I liked what I saw from Parse last season and in the few games he played this year. He adds an element of speed, skill and creativity that is drastically lacking on that second line.

Put Parse on the 2nd line LW and I think that line is better right away, it couldn't hurt to try.

Old
03-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I don't see how this line of thinking makes any sense, in pro sports there should be accountability for how you play and no ones spot should ever be "cemented". If he can improve the team he should be given a chance.

Since February 1st

Stoll (18GP, 4G, 2A, -9)
Smyth (18GP, 1G, 6A, -6)
Brown (18GP, 4G, 4A, +4)

Let's face it, these guys aren't cutting it offensively or defensively. I liked what I saw from Parse last season and in the few games he played this year. He adds an element of speed, skill and creativity that is drastically lacking on that second line.

Put Parse on the 2nd line LW and I think that line is better right away, it couldn't hurt to try.
It couldn't hurt to try, and given Murray's track record who knows, but if we are talking likely statistics, do you see him usurping any of those veterans on this team? I would put it in a category of unlikely. We don't even know if he will recover from his injury, let alone get back into shape and then improve on his game in time to show up the forwards in camp and earn himself a top 6 slot over a group of players who probably will all score more than 20 goals this year.

Last edited by Telos: 03-12-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It couldn't hurt to try, and given Murray's track record who knows, but if we are talking likely statistics, do you see him usurping any of those veterans on this team? I would put it in a category of unlikely. We don't even know if he will recover from his injury, let alone get back into shape and then improve on his game in time to blow out the forwards in camp and earn himself a top 6 slot over a group of player who probably will all score more than 20 goals this year.
The "20 goal veteran" thing doesn't matter. The playoffs start in April 2011 and we have to ice the best players in April 2011. Not who was playing best in October 2010 or who has been in the league longest.

They scratched Williams in the playoffs last season because he wasn't playing at a high level. No one should be above being benched if there is a better player to fill in.

The Kings first line is really clicking, the third lines and fourth lines are doing their jobs, the goaltending and defense have been solid, Lombardi addressed the need for a LW and Murray has even been coaching better. The second line and their play in all three zones is clearly the elephant in the room with this team.

Old
03-12-2011, 11:47 AM
kinghock

I wish Smyth contract will be finished at the end of this year.
Healthy Parse will be serious improvement over him.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Didn't he just get shut down because he experienced soreness while training? Until we hear reports that he's skated for a couple of weeks symptom free, this discussion is senseless.

Besides, its not like we're going to just insert Parse into the lineup for the first game of the playoffs. We'll ride the team that got us there. We'll see what he's got.... next training camp.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Williams was scratched from the playoffs because he came back from injury too soon. Now you want to rush Parse back into the playoffs?

Williams > Parse

Parse is done for the year, I would think Moller is ahead of him if there is an injury. Parse will get another shot in training camp.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Parse will fill in for Poni next season if the Kings don't resign him. He could also be part of a package trade in the summer. This season, unless it is filling in for Richardson here or there when Murray has his moments, I don't see him on the team...and no way does he go in for Smyth. The only consistency this season by Murray has been keeping Smyth and Stoll together.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Parse will fill in for Poni next season if the Kings don't resign him. He could also be part of a package trade in the summer. This season, unless it is filling in for Richardson here or there when Murray has his moments, I don't see him on the team...and no way does he go in for Smyth. The only consistency this season by Murray has been keeping Smyth and Stoll together.
this

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:25 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Have we made the play-offs? I'm missing something?

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:31 PM
spudboy

I doubt Parse comes back this year. And, if he does, I doubt he'll be good. They would also have to clear a roster spot. Barring a miracle, and an injury to someone else, I don't see it happening. I hope he comes back and lights it up. But, not gonna happen, this year anyway.

spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:33 PM
johnjm22

Smyth might be struggling right now, but every player goes through rough patches during the course of a season. He'll come around; he always does.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Smyth might be struggling right now, but every player goes through rough patches during the course of a season. He'll come around; he always does.
He didn't last season, why should we expect anything different this year?

Last year after the Olympic Break (in which he had rest) Ryan Smyth finished the year with 3 goals in 21 games and then continued his disappearing act in the playoffs. This year it's 1 goal in the past 18 games while being a defensive liability.

This guy should not be counted on to Play a Top 6 role, whether it's moving someone up or calling someone up.

Old
03-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I doubt Poni will be back next year. Parse will get a chance to take the vacated spot.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:11 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
I doubt Parse comes back this year. And, if he does, I doubt he'll be good. They would also have to clear a roster spot. Barring a miracle, and an injury to someone else, I don't see it happening. I hope he comes back and lights it up. But, not gonna happen, this year anyway.
Nope. There is no limit on rosters after the trade deadline, so he could be activated without clearing a spot.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
kinghock

I believe that for Kings to continue getting better as a team the following players needs to be replaced next year:

1. Michal Handzus
2. Trevor Lewis
3. Ryan Smyth
4. Alexei Ponikarovsky

Their replacements should be:

1. B.Schenn
2. A.Loktionov
3. S.Parse
4. O.Moller

We are going to lose some size in this exchange, but we will gain so much skills and speed.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:40 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
I believe that for Kings to continue getting better as a team the following players needs to be replaced next year:

1. Michal Handzus
2. Trevor Lewis
3. Ryan Smyth
4. Alexei Ponikarovsky

Their replacements should be:

1. B.Schenn
2. A.Loktionov
3. S.Parse
4. O.Moller

We are going to lose some size in this exchange, but we will gain so much skills and speed.
I dont think we need a replacement for him.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Mattias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
I doubt Poni will be back next year. Parse will get a chance to take the vacated spot.
That's how I see it.

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:46 PM
kinghock

My suggested centers for Kings are:

Kopitar
Schenn
Loktionov
Stoll

I do not see any place for Trevor Lewis