HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Hasek's return

Old
03-11-2011, 07:01 PM
CaptPantalones

vCash: 500
I personally dont think they will retire his number next week and hell just be here as a guest

CaptPantalones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Pengo

^Yeah, that's why I was wondering what "Hasek will be back" meant.

I think and hope they will retire #39, but it seems sort of sudden for something like that.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:53 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Sure retire his number, I like the fact Pegula is building bridges back up with the alumni.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I've been a supporter of retiring Hasek's number. No matter how his time here ended, it's been a long time since then and he's one of the best players, if not the best player, to ever play for the Buffalo Sabres. Totally deserving of the honor despite what he said when he was shipped out.

I'd imagine the banner would be blue and gold. Although I wouldn't be opposed to the red and black since those were our sweaters during his best seasons here and they were the ones worn when we went to the SCF in 98-99.

As for his appearance, you never know, they might surprise us and retire it then. I would be surprised though. Something like this should come with more notice and I would think they would have announced it months before, like Brind'Amour's and Naslund's this year were in Carolina and Vancouver respectively.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:18 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
I personally dont think they will retire his number next week and hell just be here as a guest
I agree that its really unlikely that they retire his number off the cuff like this. This is likely more of a welcome back to to the fold- things are going to be different. If Hasek shows any desire to be around the club- they'll probably set a date next season.
Hated the way he left and some of the 'RedWing forever' rhetoric.
but in the end- he might be the greatest or at least 2nd greatest Sabre of all time.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:09 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I was anti at first, but it absolutely needs to happen. Without a doubt. Put it up there

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

If they're going to retire his number, I think it would be classy for him to release some sort of statement along the lines of "the bad blood is over," sort of as a way to try to heal the wounds on both sides. I don't really expect that to happen though.

I do think that eventually his number should be retired. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens in the Pegula era.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:24 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I just hope he gets cheered and not booed by the crowd. Can they push this back one day? I have tickets for the game on the 20th...

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:27 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Whoops wrong thread.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:49 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Ted Black said that every living Buffalo Sabres Alumni is invited to the season finale...
MOGILNY....PLEASE!!!!

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
I wonder what he meant by "Dominik Hasek will be back this month."

Maybe Hasek will be brought back a goalie coach, or maybe something in the Front Office?
It's rumored he's in line to be head coach for Moscow Spartak next season for about $2 million per season. There's also talk he could play in the Czech league next year.
http://newsflavor.com/world/europe/r...ub-refuses-it/

Whatever happens, I don't see his number being retired until Hasek is firmly retired. The last thing the Sabres need is Dom returning to the NHL as a backup after they retire his number.

Hasek still has close ties with Larry Quinn. His number would have been retired already if Hasek were retired.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Sabretip

In the latest blog from TBN, there's a 9-minute video with Ted Black talking about all of the changes - and he mentions that Hasek will be making an appearance in conjunction with Willie O'Ree weekend and his Hasek's Heroes children's charity program. Any jersey retirement seems slated for next season or thereafter.

Black also mentions that the home finale will be a Fan Appreciation "event" that not only will have the 'shirt-off-their-back' thing but feature many Alumni in honor of the 40th Anniversary season - which is something I think could have been done more often before Pegula. Other than the book, museum exhibit and the jerseys, there hasn't been much game-to-game acknowledgement via events of the anniversary season IMO.......unless one counts the Cellino & Barnes trivia contest.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
MOGILNY....PLEASE!!!!
Mogilny was honored by the Sabres and in Buffalo before the New Year's Day matinee against Boston.

Old
03-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I was anti at first, but it absolutely needs to happen. Without a doubt. Put it up there

Yeah, I agree with this sentiment. I haven't completely gotten over all of the stuff he pulled but he should certainly be recognized. Set something up nice next year, maybe coincide his ceremony with the next Sabres HOF induction?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Yeah, I agree with this sentiment. I haven't completely gotten over all of the stuff he pulled but he should certainly be recognized. Set something up nice next year, maybe coincide his ceremony with the next Sabres HOF induction?
Retiring Hasek's jersey number, followed in short order by Mike Ramsey, should happen next season IMO, especially if Pegula wants to honor and bring alumni more into the current day era of the Sabres. It's been 5 years since Gare & LaFontaine had their jerseys retired.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:08 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Retiring Hasek's jersey number, followed in short order by Mike Ramsey, should happen next season IMO, especially if Pegula wants to honor and bring alumni more into the current day era of the Sabres. It's been 5 years since Gare & LaFontaine had their jerseys retired.
I hope this is a joke.

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre View Post
I hope this is a joke.
You obviously never watched Rammer play. That's about the only thing I can think of that would make you respond that way to the idea of honoring Rammer.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-12-2011 at 04:35 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You obviously never watched Rammer play.
There's no doubt he was a very good player, but retiring a number should be an honor reserved for the most deserving players only. Personally, I think for a team that's only been around 40 years there are too many numbers up there. I'd put Horton, Perreault, and Hasek up there, and I'm undecided about LaFontaine. Martin, Robert, Gare, Ramsey were all excellent players and most certainly should be honored in some way, but not with a retired number IMO.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Layne Staley

Far too many #'s retired...French Connection is fine, Horton I guess but he played here way too short of a time, and Danny Gare's # is a joke to be retired.

Hasek deserves it though.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:41 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
There's no doubt he was a very good player, but retiring a number should be an honor reserved for the most deserving players only. Personally, I think for a team that's only been aroud 40 years there are too many numbers up there. I'd put Horton, Perreault, and Hasek up there, and I'm undecided about LaFontaine. Martin, Robert, Gare, Ramsey were all excellent players and most certainly should be honored in some way, but not with a retired number IMO.

That's fine if you feel that way. It can certainly be debated. But to suggest the idea is a joke is ....well....a joke.

To me it speaks to a level of ignorance about him. I'm confident many young posters on here have little clue how good he was.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:49 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
The fanbase of this franchise is too trigger happy when it comes to handing out banners. He's a very deserving member of the Sabres Hall of Fame. They've got too many banners hanging as it is.

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:14 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
There's no doubt he was a very good player, but retiring a number should be an honor reserved for the most deserving players only. Personally, I think for a team that's only been around 40 years there are too many numbers up there. I'd put Horton, Perreault, and Hasek up there, and I'm undecided about LaFontaine. Martin, Robert, Gare, Ramsey were all excellent players and most certainly should be honored in some way, but not with a retired number IMO.
We've both said this in previous threads. At this point, its not like you can unretire #s, but maybe they can have a 2nd tier- a ring of honor- where they go in the rafters but the # remains in circulation.
11, 39, 2 .... and the rest in the ring of honor

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
I'd tell them to go **** themselves.
And millions of dollars walk out the door...

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Mike Wilson and Jiri Novotny already got their tickets
Yeah, they picked up their tix right after Joe Juneau, Dixon Ward, and Andrei Trefilov

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Yeah, they picked up their tix right after Joe Juneau, Dixon Ward, and Andrei Trefilov
Jiří Dudáček doesn't get a ticket does he? Worst first round pick ever. I'd love to see Morris Titanic -- another one of picks that sunk quickly. Get it. Bad joke.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote