HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Shannon?

Old
03-11-2011, 11:23 PM
D0C

vCash: 500
Stamina is key.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:33 PM
trobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
Now that's the funniest thing I have read this week.
You need to read more.
I kid, I kid.

Maybe, I was a little too stong with my words...but when I think if Shannon, I think hard and fast too the puck...and that's all. I can't ever recall thinking, good pass, or good shot, or being creative.

His point production for his ice time is sufficient. But I don't see him fitting anywhere on a good team.

Not skilled enough to be on a Top-6.
Too small to be on the Bottom-6.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:15 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
I was a long distance runner. You don't have to explain to me what stamina is. What was said and how it was said still makes no sense.
You're not a hockey player, therefore no matter how far you ran you still have no stamina.

Quote:
Now that's the funniest thing I have read this week.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
Stamina is key.
This man understands.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:59 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
You need to read more.
I kid, I kid.

Maybe, I was a little too stong with my words...but when I think if Shannon, I think hard and fast too the puck...and that's all. I can't ever recall thinking, good pass, or good shot, or being creative.

His point production for his ice time is sufficient. But I don't see him fitting anywhere on a good team.

Not skilled enough to be on a Top-6.
Too small to be on the Bottom-6.
Do you watch any hockey games? Just look at the last two passes to Condra for goals as recent examples. Great vision and great passing. Tough to be objective I know when you dislike a player.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:41 PM
trobby

Quote:
Do you watch any hockey games? Just look at the last two passes to Condra for goals as recent examples. Great vision and great passing. Tough to be objective I know when you dislike a player.
What's Hockey?

I like Shannon. But I don't think he fit into the Top-6.
And I like my Bottom-6 to be able to play with a little edge...so I don't think he should fit in there.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:17 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
What's Hockey?

I like Shannon. But I don't think he fit into the Top-6.
And I like my Bottom-6 to be able to play with a little edge...so I don't think he should fit in there.
How about this under the creativity category:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9n3gQoqy5g

Old
03-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Huxtable View Post
Where is there room for Shannon next year?

Forwards under contract:

1. Alfredsson
2. Spezza
3. Michalek
4. Foligno
5. Neil
6. Regin
7. Winchester

RFA's likely re-signed:

8. Butler
9. Z. Smith
10. Greening
11. Condra

12. 2011 1st round pick? (Landeskog, Nugent-Hopkins)
Murray seems to think their 1st pick will play next year

13. Murray said during the STH conference call that the club might try to sign a top 6 forward via free agency this summer.

14. Other possibilities (prospects): O'Brien, Silfverberg

I just don't see where Ryan Shannon fits in.

Before you answer that we can send a guy or two on the list above to Binghamton, keep in mind that guys like Butler, Z. Smith, Greening and Condra would have to clear waivers to be sent down to Binghamton next year since their entry-level contracts will have expired.
This. Let the guy walk, he is redundant, has maxed out his potential (I can't freaking believe some people are saying he has not had a chance!!!). We just don't have room for him, he'd be taking up a roster space that would be better served being used by a young guy with potential (Condra, Greening, Smith, Regin) while not being good enough to justify that (like a legitimate top 6 UFA would be).

Michalek - Spezza - Butler
Foligno - Draft pick - Alfredsson
Greening - Regin - Condra
Smith - Winchester - Neil

No room for Shannon.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 05:40 PM
eyeno

I am with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySport View Post
Some of us get it; some not... Facts are the facts, and let's keep it simple. On a production basis (points per TOI) Shannon is a top performer on the team. Period end of that argument. You can't score from the bench to which he was nailed to for two-thirds of the season because the team couldn't be embarrassed not playing multi-million dollar contract players who weren't performing. If he had the TOI he is getting now and PP time, well that would be just conjecture, but probably more good news (perhaps not to all). On the PK, he has only been scored on once. Oh, and he is a +3 or +4, an exclusive position on the team. I know, a meaningless stat, unless we can use it against Shannon. Twist, it turn it all you want. You don't have to like him, but you do have to respect him.
Hockey Sport that was exactly what I wanted to write but was to lazy.I have no idea what some of these posters watch or read or probably just dont know.Its kinda funny know some of these guys are getting ice what there doing.Lee, people were ready to linch the poor kid, he gets ice ,look at him .Smith playing and making some sound decisions our second face off guy and killing penalties ,unreal.Shannon put with offensive players he can also produce and is ,great pk and pp.Unlike some other players doesnt skate up and down the ice with his head down that drives me nuts.Yes Shannon is very versatile and worth having around if you have room and I would think next year we will,maybe not in two years.

eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
This. Let the guy walk, he is redundant, has maxed out his potential (I can't freaking believe some people are saying he has not had a chance!!!). We just don't have room for him, he'd be taking up a roster space that would be better served being used by a young guy with potential (Condra, Greening, Smith, Regin) while not being good enough to justify that (like a legitimate top 6 UFA would be).

No room for Shannon.
Agree completely. He really adds nothing of value to this organization.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 06:10 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Agree completely. He really adds nothing of value to this organization.
Except the fact that you choose to ignore the fact that on a production basis (points per TOI), he leads the team. Not of value? Ok.

Old
03-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Except the fact that you choose to ignore the fact that on a production basis (points per TOI), he leads the team. Not of value? Ok.
To paraphrase - what you are saying is his production per minutes are high, but he doesn't play a lot of minutes due to poor stamina, which is why he must be on a line with Condra so he doesn't get so tired. I agree with you, especially on the last part.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 06:52 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

For what Shannon lacks in size he makes up in Stamina

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patizzie View Post
For what Shannon lacks in size he makes up in Stamina
Other players take Sudafed during games. Shannon takes Viagara. That's how he gets his stamina.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySport View Post
Some of us get it; some not... Facts are the facts, and let's keep it simple. On a production basis (points per TOI) Shannon is a top performer on the team. Period end of that argument. You can't score from the bench to which he was nailed to for two-thirds of the season because the team couldn't be embarrassed not playing multi-million dollar contract players who weren't performing. If he had the TOI he is getting now and PP time, well that would be just conjecture, but probably more good news (perhaps not to all). On the PK, he has only been scored on once. Oh, and he is a +3 or +4, an exclusive position on the team. I know, a meaningless stat, unless we can use it against Shannon. Twist, it turn it all you want. You don't have to like him, but you do have to respect him.
I am usually quite bad at math, am i doing it wrong?

Spezza 941 mins/ 35 pts = 26.88 mins/point
Kovalev 878/27 = 32.5
Alfredsson 1040 / 31 = 33.5
Michalek 1044/29 = 36
Foligno 1043/27 = 38.6
Kelly 891/23 = 38.7
Karlsson 1513 / 38 = 39.18
Shannon 759 / 19 = 39.94
Fisher 1014/24 = 42.25

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:22 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Other players take Sudafed during games. Shannon takes Viagara. That's how he gets his stamina.
He doesn't take anything just surrounds himself with Condra's aura

Old
03-12-2011, 07:23 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
so he's that tiny that he can skate around all night with an erection in his jock?

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
so he's that tiny that he can skate around all night with an erection in his jock?
That isn't a hockey stick he is playing with.....

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:20 PM
delchief

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I am starting to think he might be a fit as their 2nd line center. He was ineffective playing as a bottom 6 winger, but in my opinion has flourished as a center with semi-skilled line mates. Unless they draft an NHL-ready center (Couturier??) or trade for one, who is their 2nd line center next year? Regin? If you dislike Shannon what in the world had Regin done to earn your trust? Smith? Nope, not skilled enough. Locke? Hasn't worked in the NHL anywhere else, whereas Shannon has been playing in all situations.

Like it or not, I think he should get consideration for a one-year deal and a good try-out at center. If there are better suggestions that are realistic for this team, I'm all ears. I suggested in another post that they make a bold move for Stastny out of Colorado, but it would be costly.

delchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:35 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by delchief View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I am starting to think he might be a fit as their 2nd line center. He was ineffective playing as a bottom 6 winger, but in my opinion has flourished as a center with semi-skilled line mates. Unless they draft an NHL-ready center (Couturier??) or trade for one, who is their 2nd line center next year? Regin? If you dislike Shannon what in the world had Regin done to earn your trust? Smith? Nope, not skilled enough. Locke? Hasn't worked in the NHL anywhere else, whereas Shannon has been playing in all situations.

Like it or not, I think he should get consideration for a one-year deal and a good try-out at center. If there are better suggestions that are realistic for this team, I'm all ears. I suggested in another post that they make a bold move for Stastny out of Colorado, but it would be costly.
Tim Connally out of Buffalo could be a UFA this summer, he's making $4.5 mil which seems like too much considering he only has 29 pts this season & he does have concussion & injury problems. However, he had 65 pts last season & would fit nicely behind Spezza if he can stay healthy. I don't know if a rebuilding team wants to do that but I don't know if Ottawa has another guy who is NHL ready to step into the 2nd line C spot who would be anywhere near as good as Connally. But getting another lottery pick next yr could also be the plan so this wouldn't make sense.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post

No room for Shannon.
the sens really need a 2nd line left winger

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
the sens really need a 2nd line left winger

Especially one with lots of

Old
03-13-2011, 03:14 PM
trobby

Come on people.

Shannon anywhere near your top-6 spells trouble over a 82-game schedule.
Shannon anywhere near your bottom-6 means be prepared to get knocked around like a rag doll during crunch time. The kid has no edge to him at all.

And before I hear any more of the following...I'll just spell it out for you.

No I don't play hockey, I've never watched a game, I've never owned a table-top hockey game in which you had to use your finger and thumb to twist the rods, no I've never owned a table-top arcade sytle game in which you can play standing up, no I never played the CBC trivia hockey game, no I never owned Ice Hockey for Nintendo in where you had to select a skinny, medium, or fat guy to fill out your roster, no I never played Blades of Steel, where if you lost the fight, you went to the penalty box, no I never played any of the NHL 199X - 2XXX games for Sega or PS3....never, never, never...

Old
03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Tim Connally out of Buffalo could be a UFA this summer, he's making $4.5 mil which seems like too much considering he only has 29 pts this season & he does have concussion & injury problems.
That guy is always hurt, I don't know if signing him would be worth the frustration. He is definitely talented though

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Gil Gunderson

This guy sure loves his meaningless games.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:45 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
This guy sure loves his meaningless games.
Yet the teams he helps beating, those games are not so meaningless, are they?

And when you are playing for a contract, nothing is meaningless.

Last edited by HockeyTownUSA: 03-17-2011 at 10:45 PM.