HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Live viewing: Ryan Strome

Old
03-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

vCash: 500
He also won most improved player and best stick handler. FYI

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
H2O

Makes sense that he's the best playmaker in the Eastern Conference of the OHL, and that Shane Prince is second. Pretty obvious even in the limited amount of games I've seen.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Ryan Strome did score twice, inclduing the OT winner for the Ice Dogs but at times he was fairly invisible. Definitely a skilled hockey player but he didn't dominate the game like I was hoping he would. Even though Landeskog was held of the score sheet last Sunday, he had a certain presence on the ice.

Something I did not get from Ryan Strome tonight despite the two goal night.
There's Senschirps view. Basically feel the same way. I thought Strome lacked a presence all night. First goal he scored was soft but had good velocity, the second was a high end one timer.

Other than as far as a top 10 prospect goes, he was pretty average. Certainly lacked a presence last night IMO. But like I said if that shot is for real he could score a lot that way...and he is a good skater and by the looks of it, is good in a lot of offensive areas.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
There's Senschirps view. Basically feel the same way. I thought Strome lacked a presence all night. First goal he scored was soft but had good velocity, the second was a high end one timer.

Other than as far as a top 10 prospect goes, he was pretty average. Certainly lacked a presence last night IMO. But like I said if that shot is for real he could score a lot that way...and he is a good skater and by the looks of it, is good in a lot of offensive areas.
Yes, but he responded in the comments section admitting that he was distracted, or inferring that he wasn't paying as much attention. He also said that my write-up was bang on but he's afraid that Strome won't be able to translate to the NHL. His logic was flawed though because he used Landeskog as an example...saying Strome is great among boys, but Landeskog is more filled out and it's more likely that Strome can do more when he gets bigger since he's already smaller than most right now.

Anyway, that shot is clearly for real he has a monster one timer and just a slapper in general. Keep in mind that the 67s were completely dominant on that night and Strome was still able to do all those great things, and get 2 goals (game tying, and winning.)

Old
03-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

Strome seems very weak, and without outstanding offensive awareness. He is capable of precision passes, but too often shows as oblivious. His footspeed is above average, but his turns are laborious, and his crossovers are plodding. I'm not sold.

Alfieghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Yes, but he responded in the comments section admitting that he was distracted, or inferring that he wasn't paying as much attention. He also said that my write-up was bang on but he's afraid that Strome won't be able to translate to the NHL. His logic was flawed though because he used Landeskog as an example...saying Strome is great among boys, but Landeskog is more filled out and it's more likely that Strome can do more when he gets bigger since he's already smaller than most right now.

Anyway, that shot is clearly for real he has a monster one timer and just a slapper in general. Keep in mind that the 67s were completely dominant on that night and Strome was still able to do all those great things, and get 2 goals (game tying, and winning.)
Well I was only distracted for a couple minutes trying to figure out how old those girls in the aisles were, and I still agreed. As far as being anything more than he's expected to be, I didn't see it. But yes, he was off the ice quite a bit while Ottawa was on the PP a lot.

It wasn't a great show case, even on a night where he scored twice. It's not a knock on him, sometimes a great prospect isn't going to show up the way you wanted them to. And if I seem down on him, it's only because I went there looking at him from the angle that he may be in the top tier of talent in this draft, last night I didn't see it. I think he's properly placed in most lists, that's a compliment, he is high regarded. And like I said, a player that can shoot the puck at an elite level will score goals in the NHL, especially when he isn't lacking in skill set

I think if anyone can eventually penetrate that top tier of players in this draft from the outside it may be Huberdeau, perhaps not at the draft, but over the long haul.

Old
03-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Well I was only distracted for a couple minutes trying to figure out how old those girls in the aisles were, and I still agreed. As far as being anything more than he's expected to be, I didn't see it. But yes, he was off the ice quite a bit while Ottawa was on the PP a lot.

It wasn't a great show case, even on a night where he scored twice. It's not a knock on him, sometimes a great prospect isn't going to show up the way you wanted them to. And if I seem down on him, it's only because I went there looking at him from the angle that he may be in the top tier of talent in this draft, last night I didn't see it. I think he's properly placed in most lists, that's a compliment, he is high regarded. And like I said, a player that can shoot the puck at an elite level will score goals in the NHL, especially when he isn't lacking in skill set

I think if anyone can eventually penetrate that top tier of players in this draft from the outside it may be Huberdeau, perhaps not at the draft, but over the long haul.
I'm just curious as to what he was supposed to do to be more 'dominant'? Niagara must have spent 70% of that game in their own zone. Oddly enough, for the most part, most of their rushes the other way came when Strome was on the ice. He carried the puck the most, he created space, he made nice passes, he created opportunities to score (he put away two goals to tie, and win the game), he created turnovers, he stripped the puck, he battled on the boards and won, and he did all this against a team that was outplaying his team.

I don't understand what more you were looking for? Was he supposed to be out there throwing his body knocking everyone down at once, always having the puck on his stick, scoring 5+ goals and playing 60 minutes?

Old
03-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I'm just curious as to what he was supposed to do to be more 'dominant'? Niagara must have spent 70% of that game in their own zone. Oddly enough, for the most part, most of their rushes the other way came when Strome was on the ice. He carried the puck the most, he created space, he made nice passes, he created opportunities to score (he put away two goals to tie, and win the game), he created turnovers, he stripped the puck, he battled on the boards and won, and he did all this against a team that was outplaying his team.

I don't understand what more you were looking for? Was he supposed to be out there throwing his body knocking everyone down at once, always having the puck on his stick, scoring 5+ goals and playing 60 minutes?
He didn't show me enough to be placed among the top 4. It appears most people believe that. "Most people" have been wrong before.

Old
03-12-2011, 05:59 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

RNH>Strome

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
He didn't show me enough to be placed among the top 4. It appears most people believe that. "Most people" have been wrong before.
'Most people'? The people that actually scout for a living and see these people on a regular basis don't come out and talk about it to us. Within the scouting services Stromer has been rising steadily while RNH has been hyped since last year. I would think that has a lot to do with their ranking.

Either way -- how did he not show enough to be placed among the top 4? You're kind of skirting around the question. What more was he supposed to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
RNH>Strome
On what basis?

Old
03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
'Most people'? The people that actually scout for a living and see these people on a regular basis don't come out and talk about it to us. Within the scouting services Stromer has been rising steadily while RNH has been hyped since last year. I would think that has a lot to do with their ranking.

Either way -- how did he not show enough to be placed among the top 4? You're kind of skirting around the question. What more was he supposed to do?
He really hasn't been rising steadily...he shot up into 5-10 range and stayed there. As far as comparing him to RNH goes, the skating is better, the stick handling is better, release better, vision better, patience better.

How did he not? Because from what I've seen of the other top tier players showed more than Strome did. I saw how he skated, I saw how he handled the puck, I saw him shoot, I saw him look for the open man....he was good, but not exceptional. The shot he took in OT was exceptional.

Didn't think he separated himself in that game.

Old
03-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
He really hasn't been rising steadily...he shot up into 5-10 range and stayed there. As far as comparing him to RNH goes, the skating is better, the stick handling is better, release better, vision better, patience better.

How did he not? Because from what I've seen of the other top tier players showed more than Strome did. I saw how he skated, I saw how he handled the puck, I saw him shoot, I saw him look for the open man....he was good, but not exceptional. The shot he took in OT was exceptional.

Didn't think he separated himself in that game.
How many times have you seen RNH live? Or Couturier? How often have you watched any of them play to make the kind of assertion that you are...well, making.

Old
03-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
How many times have you seen RNH live? Or Couturier? How often have you watched any of them play to make the kind of assertion that you are...well, making.
None. It's helpful to see them live but you can get to understand skill sets by watching them on a screen...it's other stuff you are likely to miss out on. I mean you can tell me all you want that you think Strome's skill set is better than RNHs but I'm not going to agree with you, nor am I going to care to try to convince you otherwise. You're entitled to your opinion.

Old
03-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
How about you? you are so quick to say Strome is this and that compared to the other 3 forwards, but as soon as MoO says something that goes against your crusade you confront him

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
None. It's helpful to see them live but you can get to understand skill sets by watching them on a screen...it's other stuff you are likely to miss out on. I mean you can tell me all you want that you think Strome's skill set is better than RNHs but I'm not going to agree with you, nor am I going to care to try to convince you otherwise. You're entitled to your opinion.
Even though I think that Strome has the most potential this is, at best, an educated guess based on very limited information (production, clips, streams, limited live viewing.) However that's not what I was asserting here. I was pointing out all the things that he did that make him a top player. What's strange is that Strome was the best player on the ice and that made his stock 'drop' on this board; meanwhile Landeskog had a worse showing a week ago, but his 'presence' on the ice means he's better. Going by viewings against the same team Strome played a better game but isn't good enough anyway? On top of being 2nd in the OHL in scoring, only 17 etc. etc.

It's just odd to me that he doesn't get credit for what he's doing and what he's shown.

Quote:
How about you? you are so quick to say Strome is this and that compared to the other 3 forwards, but as soon as MoO says something that goes against your crusade you confront him
What did I say exactly? The most I've said is that it looks like he has better skating than Couturier, comparable to RNH, he's bigger than RNH and I think he has the most top end skill. I've come out and said that I haven't seen enough RNH to truly say that anyone is better than him, but from what limited information I have I think Strome will be the best of this draft. I gave my opinion between him and Lando because I saw them both against the same team and Strome was better (and I think Ottawa played better against Niagara.)

Also what crusade, exactly? We're just debating the capabilities of a prospect. I'm asking for reasoning behind what is being said about him. I provided stats, and what I saw but I just get 'I just don't think he's top material.'

Anyway, as MoO said we're all entitled to our own opinions. Everyone knows that I think that Strome is the best prospect in this draft, but still maybe if I saw RNH more often I would think differently. This is based purely on what I know, have seen, and my 'extrapolations' based on what I've seen.

Old
03-12-2011, 06:31 PM
MHJS
HFBoards Sponsor

From someone who has seen Strome play MANY times, he has outstanding vision, an insane one timer, and is a very good skater (not elite, but its an asset). He's feisty when he needs to be. His passing skills are truly elite and in terms of character, he is an outstanding kid (as most of the IceDogs are).

If anyone has any questions, PM me, I'll provide more info

MHJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

Strome seems like a good competitor, but I'm not convinced his shooting mechanics will hold up at the next level. His high arm elbow motion is completely conical - meaning it's not congruent with traditional range of motion shot modelling. I'm not saying this can't work for him, but the numbers don't favour it. Combining this with his awkward turns, and less than stellar neutral-zone awareness, I'm not sure I'd gamble a top 10 pick on him. Just IMO, of course.

Old
03-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Minister of Offence

Yeah, I'm starting to think he might not be worth the NSH pick.

Old
03-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieghetti View Post
Strome seems like a good competitor, but I'm not convinced his shooting mechanics will hold up at the next level. His high arm elbow motion is completely conical - meaning it's not congruent with traditional range of motion shot modelling. I'm not saying this can't work for him, but the numbers don't favour it. Combining this with his awkward turns, and less than stellar neutral-zone awareness, I'm not sure I'd gamble a top 10 pick on him. Just IMO, of course.
Erm...what? His 'awkward turns'? Could I get an example of this? From what I saw his skating is on a very high level and all of his turns/cuts were very good and well thought out as well as helping him create space.

Also his neutral zone awareness was really high. As I said before he caused at least 4 turn overs in the neutral zone as well as constantly following the play as it went between the blue lines.

I'd also like to point out that, in my viewings, he only uses his slapper when he has space which is why he often passes first and was voted as the best playmaker in the OHL east (as well as stickhandler.)

Speaking of his slapper.

Second goal for Stromer -- look at the mechanics. Stamkos moves faster (for this one) but Strome has more time and space. Very similar mechanics though.

Last edited by Cujomi: 03-12-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old
03-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

Look at the elbow plane on that shot for a good example of what I'm talking about. He's telegraphing. Unfortunately, this sort of thing usually compounds itself as time progresses, and is generally not fixable. I don't like it, and history has shown that this kind of motion tends to be a problem. As for his turns, I'm talking crossovers. They are awkward, jerky, and he doesn't have the smoothness of motion to get maximum propulsion from each stride. Left over right seems to be the worse side for him. Don't even get me started on his backwards skating, and left turn to backwards transitions. It's all left me wanting, quite frankly. His neutral zone awareness isn't bottom of the barrel, it's just not stellar. Considering his other deficiencies, I'd like for it to be a little higher is all.

Anyway, just my .02

Old
03-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieghetti View Post
Look at the elbow plane on that shot for a good example of what I'm talking about. He's telegraphing. Unfortunately, this sort of thing usually compounds itself as time progresses, and is generally not fixable. I don't like it, and history has shown that this kind of motion tends to be a problem. As for his turns, I'm talking crossovers. They are awkward, jerky, and he doesn't have the smoothness of motion to get maximum propulsion from each stride. Left over right seems to be the worse side for him. Don't even get me started on his backwards skating, and left turn to backwards transitions. It's all left me wanting, quite frankly. His neutral zone awareness isn't bottom of the barrel, it's just not stellar. Considering his other deficiencies, I'd like for it to be a little higher is all.

Anyway, just my .02
I wish I could see examples of this as opposed to just what you're saying as I didn't notice anything wrong with his crossovers last night -- everything seemed smooth. It's something I'll have to pay attention to in the future. How much have you seen of him to make these conclusions/observations? I'm genuinely curious I'm not attacking your argument or anything.

As far as his wind up goes...what do you mean he's telegraphing exactly? I don't see a difference between the mechanics for his slapshot and Stamkos' other than the speed of the swing (different situations though, Strome had a faster one last night.)