HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I still like Zibanejad, although I would love to see the Rangers trade their 2 second rounders for a crack at Grimaldi with a 2nd 1st rounder.
It will be interesting to see what happends to Zibanejad...

...the kid have tremendous potential. He is a bit like AO. Feisty. Very very good skater. But also a good playmaker, more so then AO. He is dominating some D's in the SEL PO's right now. Playing the point on the PP.

From what I've seen of the kid, I have a hard time seing what will keep him out of the top 3 of the draft, except that he is a very fast riser and a tad unproven (but not really -- where have the hype been as regards to this kid???).

Would love to get him.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Lol at least a little bit. You did compare them via the thought process here. It's different pl;ayers, different thought process. You def didn't say anything about their styles or anything but still. Not really a terrible point to make that "Sometimes guys are ranked too highly" or w/e.
You don't get it, I'll help ya:

Chistov was being talked about having the same talent level as Kovalchuk and Spezza, 'he would be up there with them if he had the size'.

Never compared the players, just the thought process.

BTW Ola, Joachim Nermark, whats your thoughts?

Old
03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
while i happen to [sadly] agree with your take here, i wonder if our continued difficulty scoring goals, both at even strength and on the pp, is due to our general overabundance of ''blue collar'' players. not every player on your entire roster needs to play a 2 way game. i mean really..... did anyone complain when we signed gaby that he didnt play that way.... hes mostly an offensive guy.

this reminds me of the conversation we were having back in the um.... lisin times. trying to make all offensive players into 2 way players isnt always the right call.

we seem to be void of any true game breaking offensive talent. perhaps thats something that needs to change.
I think Gaborik is one of the more defensively responsible forwards in the NHL. Wingers aren't generally relied upon to be effective in their own end, but if we're targeting a center in this draft, I think you have to get a guy who can play both ends of the ice. He doesn't necessarily have to be a grinder-type, but he can't be a slouch in his own end.

I really like Koko in the offensive zone, but I don't see him as a center in the NHL. He's better suited for the wing given his somewhat undersized stature, and his lack of commitment to defense. If we were drafting him to play the wing, I could definitely see him getting some interest, but I'm not sure that will be the case.

Zibanejad is really the wild card here. You and I both love the kid, and if the Rangers think he has the offensive upside to be a #1B center, I think that's our guy in the first round.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:58 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think Gaborik is one of the more defensively responsible forwards in the NHL. Wingers aren't generally relied upon to be effective in their own end, but if we're targeting a center in this draft, I think you have to get a guy who can play both ends of the ice. He doesn't necessarily have to be a grinder-type, but he can't be a slouch in his own end.

I really like Koko in the offensive zone, but I don't see him as a center in the NHL. He's better suited for the wing given his somewhat undersized stature, and his lack of commitment to defense. If we were drafting him to play the wing, I could definitely see him getting some interest, but I'm not sure that will be the case.

Zibanejad is really the wild card here. You and I both love the kid, and if the Rangers think he has the offensive upside to be a #1B center, I think that's our guy in the first round.
ugh. i see gaby as a floater and someone who frequently doesnt pick up his man coming back into the zone. he seems rather disinterested in playing defense on many nights, especially when hes not involved offensively.

my observations and information on koko is that hes willing to play both ends. doesnt shy away from contact and not unwilling to engage along the wall. hes not burmistrov though. alex was unusual, he played defense and was an excellent counter attacker. his offense came from playing defense and attacking on the pk.

koko is different. hes a pp sniper and at even strength, hes uses his speed to create. i think koko has the better shot and higher points upside versus alex though hes not nearly as good away from the puck. i still think koko is a centerman in the nhl.

as for Z, hes a riser for sure. kyle woodlief from red line says hes a stud. i trust what kyle says and hes been all over this kid since last fall.

if we somehow manage to choose this kid, i would do back flips.

Old
03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Strome, Huberdeau, Armia, Zibanejad - am I the only one who thinks these names are all gone when we pick?

Old
03-11-2011, 01:55 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Strome, Huberdeau, Armia, Zibanejad - am I the only one who thinks these names are all gone when we pick?
Strome and Huberdeau yes, Armia possibly, Zibanejad probably not.

But then again, outside of the top 5-7 it could literally any order I think.

Old
03-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchLegion View Post
Strome and Huberdeau yes, Armia possibly, Zibanejad probably not.

But then again, outside of the top 5-7 it could literally any order I think.
Its still really early.

Last year this time the talk was of who? Nino, Johansen, Burmistrov, Skinner - one will surely be at #10

Old
03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Alvvays
Marle **3

vCash: 50
Zibanejad = Nino

Awesome name, weird mix of countries, big time riser.

03-11-2011, 02:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
ugh. i see gaby as a floater and someone who frequently doesnt pick up his man coming back into the zone. he seems rather disinterested in playing defense on many nights, especially when hes not involved offensively.
Gaborik is indeed a very good defensive forward, he's just not always going at both ends of the ice. It's no different than Kovalchuk or Jagr or Kovalev or Ovechkin. Sometimes these players are just more interested in playing offense, especially when it isn't a meaningful game. I don't really have a problem with that. If you have a good all-around team, you can afford and even benefit from having an offensive superstar sitting back waiting for opportunities.

Quote:
my observations and information on koko is that hes willing to play both ends. doesnt shy away from contact and not unwilling to engage along the wall. hes not burmistrov though. alex was unusual, he played defense and was an excellent counter attacker. his offense came from playing defense and attacking on the pk.
Sorry, I like Khokhlachev A LOT, but he needs work away from the puck and in physical situations. I'd still love to draft him, but he is not exactly eager when it comes to battling for loose pucks against bigger players. Again, that's okay. It's not his job. Not every player can do every thing.

Quote:
koko is different. hes a pp sniper and at even strength, hes uses his speed to create. i think koko has the better shot and higher points upside versus alex though hes not nearly as good away from the puck. i still think koko is a centerman in the nhl.
I can agree with this. He has more talent than Burmistrov, but Burmistrov is the more complete player. I do see the reasoning behind moving Khokhlachev to the wing in the NHL. He could never be a top line centerman, but he could be a top line winger.

Quote:
as for Z, hes a riser for sure. kyle woodlief from red line says hes a stud. i trust what kyle says and hes been all over this kid since last fall.

if we somehow manage to choose this kid, i would do back flips.
I love drafting Swedes, and I wouldn't be disappointed with Zibanejad, but I'd rather go for more offensive potential with someone like Khokhlachev or someone else.

Old
03-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Strome and Huberdeau will likely be gone. Armia could slip a bit, and I think if we miss the playoffs we should be in a prime spot to pick up Zibanejad. Really depends on whether or not some of the top d-men go early (Hamilton, Murphy, etc).

Old
03-11-2011, 03:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I've watched about as much tape on Armia as the rest of the players in this draft put together. He reminds me of Anisimov, if Anisimov was a winger. Very similar style, size, and mannerisms on the ice.

Good player, would love to have him, but obviously I'm a bit biased towards Saad being IMO the next American star.
I agree with the Armia/Anisimov comparison, although I think Armia has a little bit more offense in him. I'd definitely take him over Saad. Next American Star? Next American underachieving disappointment, IMO.

Old
03-11-2011, 03:07 PM
broadwayblue

hard to predict where we'll be picking right now. could be as high as 10 or as low as 18.

Old
03-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
hard to predict where we'll be picking right now. could be as high as 10 or as low as 18.
Just a guess - 12/13 if we miss, 15/16 if we make it.

Old
03-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

http://watertowndailytimes.com/section/blogs05-SLU beats #3 ranked Yale in game 1 of the series. First time Yale has lost at home this season.

And Union took down Colgate last night, Kinkaid with a stellar performance. We'll likely see Union in the NCAAs.

This kid http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=114915 may be one-dimensional with the rest of his game lagging behind his shot, but I can't remember the last time we had a kid hit 23 goals his rookie season.

03-12-2011, 12:50 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This kid http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=114915 may be one-dimensional with the rest of his game lagging behind his shot, but I can't remember the last time we had a kid hit 23 goals his rookie season.
That's pretty impressive. While I will take into account bias ( ), I'll keep an eye on the kid.

RANGERS =
Old
03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Zibanejad = Nino

Awesome name, weird mix of countries, big time riser.
LOL yeah he has a great name... Zibanejad. However, I have no idea
how to pronounce it.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:21 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
LOL yeah he has a great name... Zibanejad. However, I have no idea
how to pronounce it.
His last name is of Iranian decent, and is very identical to the president of Iran, President Ahmadinejad

I would pronounce it...

Ze-ban-esh-ahd

Old
03-12-2011, 05:02 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
His last name is of Iranian decent, and is very identical to the president of Iran, President Ahmadinejad

I would pronounce it...

Ze-ban-esh-ahd

i believe its pronounced

zee-bon-yad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaKqw...eature=related

Old
03-12-2011, 05:11 PM
CH2

I may be thinking too far ahead, but what's the 2012 draft looking like depth wise? May it be beneficial to shuffle picks in the later rounds this year to gain some more next year?

Old
03-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Alvvays
Marle **3

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I may be thinking too far ahead, but what's the 2012 draft looking like depth wise? May it be beneficial to shuffle picks in the later rounds this year to gain some more next year?
Best draft since '03, according to some.

Old
03-12-2011, 05:18 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
strong.

starts with #10 imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCk3-...eature=related

Old
03-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
i believe its pronounced

zee-bon-yad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaKqw...eature=related
Those are Swedish announcers, they probably have no idea how to prononce his name.

Old
03-13-2011, 10:12 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

here's my early top 4 for 2012.

this class looks to be one of the best, especially the dmen, swedes and russians.

1. nail yakupov- f. elite skills. sniper. dynamic talent.

2. ryan murray- d. may go #1 overall high end skills. not many weaknesses in his game. some saying hes the best dman prospect from the whl in the last 8 years.

3. nick ebert- d. cam folwer with an edge. perhaps the best overall d man in a very good dman draft. perhaps better than murray ?

4. alex galchenyuk-f. total package. size, speed and filthy shot. sniper with a 2 way game.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 03-13-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old
03-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexi84 View Post
Those are Swedish announcers, they probably have no idea how to prononce his name.
The SVT network guys are usually pretty good, but the rest are horrible...

Old
03-13-2011, 12:01 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

I hate the idea of tanking, but if it resulted in us landing Yakupov next year...well...that just might be alright with me.

Closed Thread