HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Woah I didnt realise Nick Foligno got dealt too...

Old
03-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycios View Post
I feel that, considering his draft position, he's turned out very well.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2006e.html
Looking at that list. The only players I'd have taken over him that were still available (in hingsight), are Lucic, Kulemin (sp?), and maybe Anisimov.

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:21 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolakDave View Post
Looking at that list. The only players I'd have taken over him that were still available (in hingsight), are Lucic, Kulemin (sp?), and maybe Anisimov.
.......and maybe Marchand

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Manny*

I hate to disagree with all of you, but I think he's looked great the last week or so. He's been forechecking hard, cycling better than anybody else on the team, driving the net, and getting scoring opportunities. He was terrific against New Jersey and didn't even get a point out of it. As for the inconsistency, he has fifteen points in his last thirty games with seven goals, which puts him exactly where I think he belongs in terms of production. Luckily, he's not a top-six-or-nothing type player, and he'll be a monster third liner for a long time. He'll get the "A" soon, and hover around 40-45 points. That's a pretty good player, in my opinion.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:13 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I hate to disagree with all of you, but I think he's looked great the last week or so. He's been forechecking hard, cycling better than anybody else on the team, driving the net, and getting scoring opportunities. He was terrific against New Jersey and didn't even get a point out of it. As for the inconsistency, he has fifteen points in his last thirty games with seven goals, which puts him exactly where I think he belongs in terms of production. Luckily, he's not a top-six-or-nothing type player, and he'll be a monster third liner for a long time. He'll get the "A" soon, and hover around 40-45 points. That's a pretty good player, in my opinion.
I guess it all depends on what people expected of him. I've always thought he would make a great third line player for the same reasons you listed, but I never really expected him to be a legit second line winger.

Even though he showed some flashes of a top 6 player (Hi Regin!), I think he's best suited for that hard nose checking style.

With good line mates that won't change very week, I don't doubt he could surprise us!

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Lexicon Devil

I don't understand - aren't 99% of the posters here cheering for us to lose? Then why the calling out of players who aren't playing well?

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
I don't understand - aren't 99% of the posters here cheering for us to lose? Then why the calling out of players who aren't playing well?
We want them to shut them out 5-0 until the last minute where they just toss the puck in their own net 6 times. Duh.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 05:32 PM
SpezDispenser

I think he and Regin will be in a dogfight to the end to make the team next year, there's a lot of guys pushing them now with more on the way after this draft.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:34 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Agree with all of this.
Good 3rd liner on a deep team, 2nd line LW on a weaker team (does everybody really understand what a black hole of talent LW is in the NHL?).

In terms of his play specifically; he needs to stick to the power/grinding game. He doesn't have the skill to succeed with the finesse game he sometimes falls into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I think he and Regin will be in a dogfight to the end to make the team next year, there's a lot of guys pushing them now with more on the way after this draft.
1) Foligno is younger than pretty much every new player we've added and is playing very well amongst them.
2) we don't have any sort of roster crunch coming up at forward whatsoever. Who is pushing them out of the lineup?
3) You do realize that you're comparing Regin and Foligno getting limited minutes on a team with Spezza, Alfie, Fisher, Michalek & Kovalev... to youngsters getting tonnes of ice time on a team with Spezza and nothing else.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Bull****. Regin actually has something to prove, while foligno has shown everybody that he's an NHL player. Players like Condra and Hamilton will be a threat to Regin, whose only proven strength at this point is defensive ability. If players like Stone, O'Brien, or Silfverberg are going to push somebody out of the lineup, it would likely be somebody like Winchester or Shannon. Don't forget that Svatos and Potulny will almost certainly not play in Ottawa next season. That leaves a lot of room in the bottom six.

Foligno is good for 40 points next season, along with great all-around play, physicality and leadership. Only two players have a real shot at surpassing 40 points this season. I don't see anybody in our prospect pool that has a legitimate chance of beating that.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:54 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkatchoff View Post
Weird, I haven't seen his performance that way at all.

First off, he's playing with Smith and Neil. Not exactly the fastest or most productive players on the team. They're a line that's meant to get the puck in the offensive zone and keep it there, while being physical. They've been largely successful at it.
I dunno which smith you're watching. Granted smith isn't the fastest on the team, but he has become quite a quick skater lately. He also does have some hands and with more development will be an excellent 3rd line centre that can put up a few points and rattle some opposing players insides.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 03:32 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
We just like to piss and moan about everything and anything cuz that's just what we do. That's how we roll here in ottawa.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:41 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

I also thought that Foligno had been asserting himself lately as a good role player. I've liked he and Smith on the Foligno Smith Neil line. Unfortunately, we are using that as a 2nd line at the moment, but as an energy line that can score like 3rd liners, im liking it. A hard to play against, finish your checks, in your face, change momentum line.

Even when we drafted him, as i remember it, there was some hopes that maybe he could become 2nd liner with a little luck, but general expectations were for a good 3rd liner. And i think he has been finding his role lately, and specifically has been visible. Keep it up i'd say.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
arglebargle

vCash: 1225
What's weird is that Foligno's got good hands, is a solid if slightly slow skater, and generates quite a few scoring chances. He just doesn't seem to actually produce points at the rate you'd expect for the amount of quality scoring chances he creates.

You'll often see this guy completely undress the defensemen, or blow right through them and crash the net... then he jams the puck into the goalie's left pad and it gets covered for a whistle. I think he needs to work on his approach towards shooting in general. It seems like if he could just finish he'd be a really good player, because most of the other stuff is there.

In any case, I think it's worth keeping him for at least 2-3 more seasons to see if he can pull it together, unless we somehow get 5 NHL ready top 6 forwards in that time span.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Romans12_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
"On March 21, 2007, Senators' general manager John Muckler announced the club had agreed to terms on an entry level contract with Foligno,
Thanks. I remember the draft day interview and I could have sworn it was Duthie interviewing Foligno with Murray at the same table. My mistake.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Suiteness

The organization put Greening on the 1st line left wing spot ahead of Foligno. That pretty much tells you what they think of him, not much.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:36 AM
operasen

Quote:
I guess we expect Top 6 out of a 1st round pick. I concur with your point that he is playing better of late. Seems to be getting some chemistry with Smith and Neil. I would assume that is the 3rd line next year.

I also assume Greening and Condra are on the team. And Silfverberg will get a look if he's over. Shannon is the dark horse. He too has been better of late as a centre. Svatos and Potulny (maybe AHL) are not here.

Regin has a long way back and will probably be wobbly (see Kovalev & Michalek this year) for a good part of next year. He needs to stay on IR until he is strong, not rush back.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

So this is the problem with Foligno:???

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../17613296.html

Read the part where he says of Kovalev:
Quote:
“He taught me skill things and then things you don’t get normally taught. He’s been a real big influence on me in a sense of how to play the game and what to look for. We definitely miss him, but I’m happy he’s in a good situation (in Pittsburgh).”
Kovalev hangs on to the puck until he thinks it's the perfect play. So that's what Foligno has been trying to do only with less skill and experience but on most nights with similar results.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:32 PM
arglebargle

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
The organization put Greening on the 1st line left wing spot ahead of Foligno. That pretty much tells you what they think of him, not much.
I think this is just Clouston making the lines he wants. It doesn't necessarily mean the organization as a whole thinks Foligno will never get better.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote