HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Three Stars and Wrapup : Edm 1 @ Det 2 (OT)

View Poll Results: Who were tonight's three stars?
Lidstrom 28 73.68%
Datsyuk 26 68.42%
Howard 24 63.16%
Dubnyk 16 42.11%
The Bloody Berty Glove 1 2.63%
Stuart 0 0%
Kronwall 1 2.63%
Holmstrom 0 0%
Franzen 2 5.26%
Kindl 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-12-2011, 12:21 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I think you might be wrong.
I think you could make a good case that Helm belongs 4th, or close to it, in the standings, when you factor in things like, people don't vote for defenseman unless they score.
But how many forwards deserve to be ahead of Helm? Datsyuk. Zetterberg.
The thing with helm is, even when he's not producing, he'd doing good things that get the attention of fans. The same can be said of Datsyuk.

That's why Helm gets votes from me. Hell, I'm the one with the "Helm no hands avatar." I am the one who argues with Fugu that Helm has no shot to be more than a third liner. And I'm the one who argues that his defense is overrated.

But the dude plays hard. And that counts for a lot. I don't have a problem at all with Helm being ranked fourth. Not when guys like Franzen have been sleepwalking for two months and Homer hasn't scored an even-strength goal in 31 games, and Flip, who started so great, looks like a fourth liner many nights, and Bertuzzi puts the team on his back for three games and then goes cold for a month.
But is it equally valuable to work hard in a loss, or to have a big game in a win?

Also, if your Helm Theorem were correct, shouldn't Stuart have a lot more points in the polls? He does good work every night but almost never gets votes for it.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:26 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Jimmy Howard is General Motors.

I aint no politician. I am a citizen. I aint no optimist. I try to be a realist. I aint no blind supporter.
So you're saying that if we help Jimmy out when he's in trouble, he'll pay off in the long run and the team will profit as a result.

Good point.

Old
03-12-2011, 12:31 PM
14ari13

vCash: 500
According to those threads, Howard is having a very good season, just Datsyuk has a better season than him.
I do not think it makes sense.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:38 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
According to those threads, Howard is having a very good season, just Datsyuk has a better season than him.
Howard racked up several 1st stars early in the year when he was playing extremely well. He has almost no 2nd or 3rd stars, but 10 1st stars. I'd say that makes some sense - he's had 10 games where he was the 1st star, and 40 or so games where he wasn't in the top 3 at all.

He's only got 10 star points in the last 40 games, but he was instrumental in the Wings building that big early lead they had in the standings.

Old
03-12-2011, 01:55 PM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Jimmy Howard is General Motors.
So he's not as bad as Toyota?

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 04:32 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
What we also need is a goat of the game thread and we can subtract from the three stars thread.
What might be cool for next season is a game by
Game rating of one to ten formeach player. Tougher to manage, tho. But it would be interesting to see how that looked at the end of the year

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
So you're saying that if we help Jimmy out when he's in trouble, he'll pay off in the long run and the team will profit as a result.

Good point.
Maybe. I didn't say I don't drive no chev.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote