HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Boyes Bud!

Old
03-06-2011, 10:13 AM
NHLMattReed
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Brad Boyes Bud!

Anyone excited to see big brad scoring 2G 2A in 3 games?

Best deadline acquisition I think we've ever had post-lockout

NHLMattReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:44 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

his skill set always reminded me of the kind of player that would succeed in buffalo. Now we just need to find one or two more.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the Boyes deal and his production, but didn't Bernier start out with similar stats?

It just means we need Boyes to KEEP IT UP!!!

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:50 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLMattReed View Post
Anyone excited to see big brad scoring 2G 2A in 3 games?

Best deadline acquisition I think we've ever had post-lockout
Best in terms of cost, although I would rank Zubrus right up there with Boyes at this point.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:53 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the Boyes deal and his production, but didn't Bernier start out with similar stats?

It just means we need Boyes to KEEP IT UP!!!
The Bernier curse was broken by Boyes after he scored in his second straight game.

Bernier was more potential at the time anyways; Boyes had many years of good production under his belt before Buffalo acquired him.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Ball1374

Bernier started with a 2g, 1a performance against Nashville, and then only scored one more goal thru his last 16 games here. Lets hope the change of scenery really has effect Boyes' and he can keep it up for the stretch run!

Ball1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Sabretip

I've liked how Boyes isn't afraid to throw his weight around in order to win possession of the puck.

It was interesting too to see Ruff put him at center between Vanek and Pominville yesterday - it clicked on the GWG. The Connolly-Boyes tandem hadn't shown much chemistry so I wonder if Ruff will use Boyes at center more....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

If he keeps this up or plays close to it for the rest of this and next season, yeah he's the best. But right now I can't rank him above my by far favorite short time Sabre in Zubrus.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:07 PM
snoop244

I think he is an awesome acquisition for the price... but he has looked really, really slow to me and he seems to have very low confidence with the puck (versus Roy, Ennis, Vanek confidence). I don't think I've seen him make a decent pass.

What I really like is that he looks strong and he doesn't get pushed around in the slot or on the boards. I think his goals will all come like his first two: standing in the slot, creating space for himself and then shovelling in a rebound - which is fine by me.

snoop244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop244 View Post
I think he is an awesome acquisition for the price... but he has looked really, really slow to me and he seems to have very low confidence with the puck (versus Roy, Ennis, Vanek confidence). I don't think I've seen him make a decent pass.

What I really like is that he looks strong and he doesn't get pushed around in the slot or on the boards. I think his goals will all come like his first two: standing in the slot, creating space for himself and then shovelling in a rebound - which is fine by me.
I agree with this.

He's scoring around the net, which is great, because that's where a majority of our team doesn't. Also, as I said in the GDT, Vanek and Pommers can both get the puck around the net, especially Vanek. Pommers has a hard shot, so Boyes can cash in a few rebound goals.

I like Boyes two way game more than I though I would. He's also more physical than I thought he would be. His stickhandling isn't going to wow anybody, and he doesn't have top end speed. He's a goal scorer who knows where to be; he knows the dangerous spots, and can find a rebound quick.

I think he MAY thrive here, but it's way too early to tell.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I've liked how Boyes isn't afraid to throw his weight around in order to win possession of the puck.

It was interesting too to see Ruff put him at center between Vanek and Pominville yesterday - it clicked on the GWG. The Connolly-Boyes tandem hadn't shown much chemistry so I wonder if Ruff will use Boyes at center more....
lets say he sticks to Boyes at Center.

Does Ruff/Reiger stick with Roy/Boyes next year and drop connolly (connolly is most likely gone anyways)

If he does stick with Boyes and he produced well then what do we go after exactly in free agency if we dont really need a center? We'd surely lock stafford up, and have Vanek ,Pominville, Ennis, Stafford all in the top 6.

Vanek - Boyes - Poms
Ennis - Roy - Stafford

or any combination. Is that good enough for the top 6 for Pegula? Do we just spend $ on the 3rd scoring line? Maybe just acquire one more contract like Boyes, and put that aquisition with Gerbe and someone else on the 3rd line?

I.E. NO big free agency signing?

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post

Does Ruff/Reiger stick with Roy/Boyes next year and drop connolly (connolly is most likely gone anyways)

If he does stick with Boyes and he produced well then what do we go after exactly in free agency if we dont really need a center?
That's jumping the gun by quite a bit.

I'm happy with his play. Of course, it's easy to be happy when a guy is producing.

I think his abilities work well with the type of players we have and it makes line combinations a little easier.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Eric II

It's still early cause it's only been a few games for Boyes. For now, I'm sticking with Zubrus as the best deadline acquisition post-lockout. I'd be glad to see Boyes surpass him, though.

Eric II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Havok89

Quote:

If he does stick with Boyes and he produced well then what do we go after exactly in free agency if we dont really need a center? We'd surely lock stafford up, and have Vanek ,Pominville, Ennis, Stafford all in the top 6.

Vanek - Boyes - Poms
Ennis - Roy - Stafford

or any combination. Is that good enough for the top 6 for Pegula? Do we just spend $ on the 3rd scoring line? Maybe just acquire one more contract like Boyes, and put that aquisition with Gerbe and someone else on the 3rd line?
I would like to see them sign Pitkanen through FA for around $5 mil, and drastically improve our 3rd line (dump neidermayer). I believe it will take some time to aquire a top center, be it through trade, free agency, or the draft.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:49 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Joe Juneau anyone?

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Sabreality

is this a new strain i should be looking out for?

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Joe Juneau anyone?
Not post-lockout.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
The Bruins traded Boyes to St. Louis in 2007 for defenseman Dennis Wideman, and the Blues sent Boyes to Buffalo on Feb. 27 for the Sabres second-round pick this year. Boyes scored in his first game as a Sabre and has three goals and three assists in six games.

I enjoy it here, said Boyes. I think its been a good move, Im excited. When I came over, that was my thought, just be excited. Im coming back to what I enjoy doing scoring goals, winning games, things like that. Thats what Im trying to do.
Quote:
Its always nice when you play against your former team, in your old building, and you get that goal, said Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff. He had a couple of other opportunities that went by the wayside, but hes done a very nice job for us. There is a reason he has scored the number of goals he did.

I think we have him down around the net a little bit more and maybe a little bit bigger role. He seems to be putting them in for us.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...k_with_a_bang/

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Pengo

He's been great so far.

It's amazing to think that there was no chance we would even try to trade for him just a few months ago.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:48 PM
sk8haggard9

The thing I like about the Boyes trade the most was that fact that it was probably the highest risk move Darcy has made in quite a long time, considering he has a bulky contract and is signed for next year. So far Boyes' higher risk has reaped a much larger a reward than the lower risk Moore, Bernier, Zubrus, etc. It was also a pretty nice steal for a 2nd round pick.

Hopefully this success will paint the picture clear for Darcy, that these kind of moves are the ones you have to make to improve your hockey team. I'm actually really stoked that they're giving Darcy a chance with all restrictions off. I think his conservative style will bode well for the franchise, as he will be interested and looking towards the future, but we all know that he can grab valuable players when given the opportunity (ex Briere, Drury, Lydman, Hecht, and Boyes so far.) Definitely rocking some high hopes for this franchise in the next couple decades.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Jonstradamus

Boyes oh Boyes that was a great pick up so far. Automatically #2 in points on Buffalo.

Looks like a keeper.

Jonstradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:56 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:

Vanek - Boyes - Poms
Ennis - Roy - Stafford

I think we all know that Richards, the only quality top center UFA this offseason, is probably a bit out of reach, even with a freed Darcy. LA or NY will offer too much. With that in mind I would totally love that top 6 assuming that Stafford, Ennis, and Boyes continue playing as well as they have (if not better) and Roy returns in good form. I guess thats a lot of ifs though.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
To all those who thought he was all washed up: you need to learn to love Boyes regardless of age!

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote