HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2 Cap Qs

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2005, 10:02 AM
cooper7d7

vCash: 500
2 Cap Qs

1. Is this possible? Team A trades Player 1 to team B. Team A also sends enough $ to Team B so B can buyout Player 1?

NYR trades Holik and cash to another team for their overpaid player. The other team buys out Holik and has lost their player, but gained cap space and since NYR have not bought out Holik, they can resign him?

2. What is Jagr set to make this year - I thought I saw $11M, which with the rollback is still just over the 20% of the Cap Max, right?

Old
07-29-2005, 10:06 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper7d7
1. Is this possible? Team A trades Player 1 to team B. Team A also sends enough $ to Team B so B can buyout Player 1?

NYR trades Holik and cash to another team for their overpaid player. The other team buys out Holik and has lost their player, but gained cap space and since NYR have not bought out Holik, they can resign him?

2. What is Jagr set to make this year - I thought I saw $11M, which with the rollback is still just over the 20% of the Cap Max, right?
It sounds very illegal but I don't know for sure. I believe Jagr is set to make 8.x this year (after reduction), 4.x will count against our cap and the other 4.x will not count against anyone's payroll. It was a line item included in the CBA for this exact situation.

Old
07-29-2005, 10:09 AM
cooper7d7

I knew the Caps were paying part of the salary, but I did not think the source of the funds would matter to the cap - but if its a special grandfather clause, cool.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:14 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper7d7

So what does the team (Team B) that got Jagr give away? They are getting Jagr + the cash to buy him out and give up nothing? How do they benefit from doing Team A a favor when a trade constitutes giving up something for something else. Team B already had the cap space before the trade so what are they gaining by helping another team?

Old
07-29-2005, 02:18 PM
cooper7d7

Team B, as stated, sends their overmarket player to Team A along with money for a buyout. Teams A and B can then sign their former players since they did not buy them out. Or Team B can choose to not resign their player, in which case maybe Team A sends a draft pick or player to compensate.

Old
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Rodent

Money may not be included in trades under the new CBA.

All you could hope to do is exchange equals.

Team A has expensive guy 1 whose salary is a big crimp against the cap.

Team B has expensive guy 2 whose salary is equally impinging on their cap.

Team A and Team B could theoretically swap players 1 & 2. Then Team B buys out guy 1 and Team A buys out guy 2, rendering both players UFA and able to re-sign with their original clubs.

Problems with this:

1) When you look at the real numbers and real teams, there are precious few cases where such an even swap/buyout is possible. If the buyouts aren't almost perfectly even, there's no motivation for one of the clubs to participate in the trade because "make-up money" cannot change hands as part of the trade.

2) When all is said and done, both teams are then at the mercy of guys 1 & 2 to want to re-sign as UFA with their original teams when other suitors might offer more $$$.

Old
07-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Rodent

Jagr's contract with New York was grandfathered. He will still earn $8.36M even though it exceeds the nominal 20-percent limit.

In addition, Jagr's deal counts less than $5M against the Ranger salary cap due to a concession Glen Sather extracted from NHL HQ before he agreed to assume the massive contract.

Old
07-29-2005, 07:45 PM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Jagr's contract with New York was grandfathered. He will still earn $8.36M even though it exceeds the nominal 20-percent limit.

In addition, Jagr's deal counts less than $5M against the Ranger salary cap due to a concession Glen Sather extracted from NHL HQ before he agreed to assume the massive contract.
Pete and repeat were in a boat, Pete fell off; who was left?

Closed Thread