HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goodenow Done

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2005, 11:20 AM
BigE

vCash: 500
Goodenow Done

www.tsn.ca

Old
07-28-2005, 11:28 AM
FLYLine24*

Wait...I dont really care. He didnt do anything anyway. Saskin did all the real work.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:20 PM
eco's bones

Well the players associtation knuckled under so he should go. What would really make me happy is if we could get rid of Bettman too.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
One down, one to go.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:33 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
One down, one to go.
Its not going to happen. He accomplished exactly what the owners wanted,a hard cap. If anything, he'll probably be rewarded.The fallout perhaps will be fan disinterest. The casual fan may be lost. The new rules may not lure the casual fan imo. As a passionate fan, I'm not sure I like the rule changes. I've seen plenty European hockey. I always thought our hockey was better.I'm perplexed about reupping my seasons.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Fletch

Great, reward Bettman...

for hundreds of millions in losses, some bankrupt franchises along the way, and what will likely be declining revenue for the foreseeable future.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:59 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
Its not going to happen. He accomplished exactly what the owners wanted,a hard cap
Oh, he got everything the owners wanted to and more. However, anyone that bears responsibility of making the NHL the first professional league to cancel an entire season should not be emlpoyed by that league. The owners may have gotten everything that they wanted, but I do not think that they have any idea of what price they paid. They will once games are being played with crickets in attendance.

Old
07-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Oh, he got everything the owners wanted to and more. However, anyone that bears responsibility of making the NHL the first professional league to cancel an entire season should not be emlpoyed by that league. The owners may have gotten everything that they wanted, but I do not think that they have any idea of what price they paid. They will once games are being played with crickets in attendance.
Nobody knows what the impact the lockout will have on attendance. Honestly i have never seen hockey talked about as much as it has been this past week. (friends, radio, and newspaper coverage) If i were you i would stop assuming attendance will be down because august will be a huge for the league and that leads right into training camp and the season. These are happy times for the league and most of its fans. Perhaps you should think about not watching this year if things bother you so much.

I know you want bettman fired but at this point who cares who runs the league? We have our team back

Old
07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE

Wait...I dont really care. He didnt do anything anyway. Saskin did all the real work.
I can't say much for how much he did during the entire process but he wasn't involved as much last week because his mother died.

Old
07-28-2005, 07:23 PM
dedalus

Quote:
anyone that bears responsibility of making the NHL the first professional league to cancel an entire season should not be emlpoyed by that league.
Bettman is blameless if Goodenow insisted on having it that way, and he did so by his refusal to ealier concede a point that he, presumably, knew he would concede when push came to shove.

In this game of chicken, everyone with eyes to see knew that Bettman wasn't blinking because he felt the crash couldn't be worse than the status quo. Goodenow operated under the terrible misconception that Bettman would blink, therefore this is primarily (maybe almost entirely) Goodenow's fault. (And there are a number of NHLPA members who would argue the same position.) Had Goodenow understood the league's position better (which is, after all, part of his job), he might have recognized the plain truth. Had the guy taken at least enough interest to read the Levitt report last year, perhaps he would have understood the owners' resolve. In doing so he might have bowed to inevitable earlier rather then later.

I think and hope this is my last post on the subject. It's over now and time for losers to stop being bitter and winners to stop gloating. (Although that's an admonition better posted on the Business board than here. We've been really quite civil to each other compared to the bloodsport that's been happening over there.)

Old
07-28-2005, 07:26 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Don't want to create a new topic

Bettman interview on FOX... I'm happy to see him advertise/defend the game.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163941,00.html

Old
07-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
One down, one to go.
Bingo.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:38 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid
I can't say much for how much he did during the entire process but he wasn't involved as much last week because his mother died.
Didnt know that part...RIP Mrs. Goodenow. But i was talking the entire process, he wasnt at pretty much all the meeting from Late May-Early July (niether was Bettman..Daly was doing all the work on the NHL side...really hoping he becomes the next Commish because he deserves it)

Old
07-29-2005, 12:19 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
It makes me sick, Goodenow resigns but Bettman and his smug @ss stick around? It honestly makes me want to vomit. Every time I see a picture of Bettman I feel queasy he's ruined the game of hockey.

Old
07-29-2005, 01:21 AM
eco's bones

Well sorry to say it but Bettman won. The league didn't contract even one team.
He's got his cap. And the revenue producers are going to prop up all his expansion teams. Now maybe he can get a clue about what hockey is.

Old
07-29-2005, 08:34 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Nobody knows what the impact the lockout will have on attendance.
You have history to look back upon. History tells you that in leagues infinitetly more popular that the NHL, it took years to get fans back. The NHL is the least popular sport in North America. Poker and NFL player bowling are more popular. To hide your head in the sand (please note, I am NOT saying that this pertains to you) and state that there will be no affect on attendance is not realistic.

"Honestly i have never seen hockey talked about as much as it has been this past week. (friends, radio, and newspaper coverage)"

Hockey has not been played in a year and it is middle of summer. At this point, anything new is big news.

"If i were you i would stop assuming attendance will be down because august will be a huge for the league and that leads right into training camp and the season."

Again, unless hockey has just become the most popular (instead of the least) in the USA, it is fairly ignorant to claim that there will be no affect on attendance. History shows you that there WILL be a negative effect that will be feld for years to come. Not months, years.

"These are happy times for the league and most of its fans. "

Talk to me about "happy times for league and fans" when the revenues are down, and the loss of a national tv contract is felt. And talk to me about the happiness of fans, when the Tampas and Atlantas of the world play in front of barely half full arenas.

"Perhaps you should think about not watching this year if things bother you so much. "

I'm sorry, did I miss the part when you were declared the happiness police? I did not realize that my views affect you so much. Yes, there are things that bother me. However, they do not affect my logical assumption of how I see things shaking out. There is more to it than blindly beating your chest and swearing all will be wonderfull.

"I know you want bettman fired but at this point who cares who runs the league? We have our team back"

I care. Under Bettman, the league has gone down the toilet. He has run the league into the ground as much as Sather has run the Rangers into the ground.

Old
07-29-2005, 08:36 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Had the guy taken at least enough interest to read the Levitt report last year, perhaps he would have understood the owners' resolve.
I can concede a lot of points to you, but not this. The Levitt report has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. I am not about to reopen that debate, but you know as well as I that the report was NOT an independent audit as much as it was an "agreed-upon procedures" report. Levitt simply reported on the information that he was given by the owners.

Old
07-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
You have history to look back upon. History tells you that in leagues infinitetly more popular that the NHL, it took years to get fans back. The NHL is the least popular sport in North America. Poker and NFL player bowling are more popular. To hide your head in the sand (please note, I am NOT saying that this pertains to you) and state that there will be no affect on attendance is not realistic.

"Honestly i have never seen hockey talked about as much as it has been this past week. (friends, radio, and newspaper coverage)"

Hockey has not been played in a year and it is middle of summer. At this point, anything new is big news.

"If i were you i would stop assuming attendance will be down because august will be a huge for the league and that leads right into training camp and the season."

Again, unless hockey has just become the most popular (instead of the least) in the USA, it is fairly ignorant to claim that there will be no affect on attendance. History shows you that there WILL be a negative effect that will be feld for years to come. Not months, years.

"These are happy times for the league and most of its fans. "

Talk to me about "happy times for league and fans" when the revenues are down, and the loss of a national tv contract is felt. And talk to me about the happiness of fans, when the Tampas and Atlantas of the world play in front of barely half full arenas.

"Perhaps you should think about not watching this year if things bother you so much. "

I'm sorry, did I miss the part when you were declared the happiness police? I did not realize that my views affect you so much. Yes, there are things that bother me. However, they do not affect my logical assumption of how I see things shaking out. There is more to it than blindly beating your chest and swearing all will be wonderfull.

"I know you want bettman fired but at this point who cares who runs the league? We have our team back"

I care. Under Bettman, the league has gone down the toilet. He has run the league into the ground as much as Sather has run the Rangers into the ground.
GET.OVER.IT.

Old
07-29-2005, 06:19 PM
True Blue

Get over what?

Old
07-29-2005, 07:48 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Well sorry to say it but Bettman won.

He lost a year of hockey, lost fans (some forever, some for years) lost lots of revenue now and for a long while, and (in my opinion) has ruined the game even more.....so I don't really consider that winning.

Closed Thread