HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#68: Thrashers @ Flyers - Saturday, Mar. 12, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-12-2011, 10:08 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Thanks man, you must be new here. I dont like Boosh and never will. Im not like our annual Carter hater though who brings up Carter's name in every thread.

I think I became a Boosh hater more so last season though thinking about it. I wasnt even a Leighton fan, but the hate he got, while Boosh was the same/worse and got barely nothing pissed me off I guess.

Oh well I was on board for bringing a goalie during the deadline anyway. Boosh blows, and currently Bob blows. And currently our defense blows.

what can you do?
I think that's the whole problem...most people can admit that neither Boosh nor Leighton should be a starter but still accept them if they stick in the role they should be at.

Everyone but Holmgren seems to understand that this team needs an upgrade there...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If/When the goaltending comes up small in the playoffs, it will be interesting to hear what (if anything) Holmgren says to address that point.
I think he will ignore it since he won't have the cap space to address it.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
Thanks man, you must be new here. I dont like Boosh and never will. Im not like our annual Carter hater though who brings up Carter's name in every thread.

I think I became a Boosh hater more so last season though thinking about it. I wasnt even a Leighton fan, but the hate he got, while Boosh was the same/worse and got barely nothing pissed me off I guess.
Boucher was, at no point during the year, supposed to be the guy that was going to be our playoff goalie. THAT was why so much attention was put on Leighton. Boucher barely played.... Emery got hurt... played, and then Boucher got hurt... then Leighton got hurt right after the trade deadline... so it was what it was.

If Holmgren was sitting there at the trade deadline saying that Boucher was going to be our guy, you would have seen some anger about that, too.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:10 PM
DenverBoone

Everybody was so focused on adding a forward at the deadline they forgot that this team has 0 chance of winning a cup with a career retread and a KHL rookie in goal.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Everybody was so focused on adding a forward at the deadline they forgot that this team has 0 chance of winning a cup with a career retread and a KHL rookie in goal.
Wouldn't say it's been ignored by all.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
trigzter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Considering he blatantly told Timonen to get his stick, and didn't pay any attention to the play is what made it pathetic. He might have well left the crease to get his stick. It would have been equally embarrassing.
Exactly. He stayed toward the right side of the net the whole time waiting to get his stick back from Timonen instead of getting into the right position

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I think he will ignore it since he won't have the cap space to address it.
Well, Holmgren's MO (other than addressing faceoffs) is to overreact and go nuts addressing weakness. Does he dump people and sign Vokoun?

The reality is that he's hung his hat on his skaters being able to carry the team... we'll see if that works out.

Old
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Goaltending isn't even our biggest issue right now.

The whole team is playing like ass. If the team puts in the kind of effort they've been putting out lately and continues taking large chunks of games off expecting to coast by and win.....it doesn't matter who's in net over the playoff haul.

That said, yes, the goalies need to improve. But this team is piss poor all over the ice.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Boucher was, at no point during the year, supposed to be the guy that was going to be our playoff goalie. THAT was why so much attention was put on Leighton. Boucher barely played.... Emery got hurt... played, and then Boucher got hurt... then Leighton got hurt right after the trade deadline... so it was what it was.

If Holmgren was sitting there at the trade deadline saying that Boucher was going to be our guy, you would have seen some anger about that, too.
I am talking about though, when Emery was down and WE HAD to rely on one of them. People would come into the GDT's hoping Leighton got his ass handed to him (not making this up, go to the GDT right after the 1-0 Edmonton loss where people blamed Leighton). When Boosh was in, I remember a good amount of people defending every goal he let up, saying the same thing your saying "Boosh isnt a #1 so it doesnt matter". Maybe some people see that as fair, but I dont.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cmoneyflyguy

The whole team collapsed.
They all deserve the same blame as bob.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Walnut

Quote:
If/When the goaltending comes up small in the playoffs, it will be interesting to hear what (if anything) Holmgren says to address that point.
He'll make a splash from the KHL. Again!

Can you say Erik Ersberg? Ilya Proskuryakov? Jakub Stepanek? or dare we say Robert Esche? <shudder>

Walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
I think he means the fact that Bob had no stick because he let a semi-hard slapshot from the blue line knock it clean out of his hand.
Ah, that's a fairly regular occurrence when a slapper hits the handle flush like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Considering he blatantly told Timonen to get his stick, and didn't pay any attention to the play is what made it pathetic. He might have well left the crease to get his stick. It would have been equally embarrassing.
I guess you weren't around for Cechmanek.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
He'll make a splash from the KHL. Again!

Can you say Erik Ersberg? Ilya Proskuryakov? Jakub Stepanek? or dare we say Robert Esche? <shudder>
MIGHT be one goalie I hate more than Boosh.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
I am talking about though, when Emery was down and WE HAD to rely on one of them. People would come into the GDT's hoping Leighton got his ass handed to him (not making this up, go to the GDT right after the 1-0 Edmonton loss where people blamed Leighton). When Boosh was in, I remember a good amount of people defending every goal he let up, saying the same thing your saying "Boosh isnt a #1 so it doesnt matter". Maybe some people see that as fair, but I dont.
Dude, I was one of those people. We desperately wanted to TRADE for another goalie. I thought (and still do) that Boucher is a better goalie than Leighton over the long haul, but no one thought Boucher was any kind of actual solution.

I also think you need to ponder whether you are completely lacking in objectivity in addressing this topic...

And the humor of bringing up that Edmonton game was the point that I (and Garbage Goal, as I recall) was making was that when push comes to shove you can't have a goalie that gives up cheapies like that goal. Lets flash forward to Kane shooting from an impossible angle...

Old
03-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Well, Holmgren's MO (other than addressing faceoffs) is to overreact and go nuts addressing weakness. Does he dump people and sign Vokoun?

The reality is that he's hung his hat on his skaters being able to carry the team... we'll see if that works out.
I am just skeptical of him ever learning his lesson when it comes to goaltending. I thought last year would have been the time to overreact after Leighton literally cost then a ring, but he went right back to Leighton. Although Vokoun is certainly better than anyone who was available last year so maybe he would be more tempting.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
I am just skeptical of him ever learning his lesson when it comes to goaltending. I thought last year would have been the time to overreact after Leighton literally cost then a ring, but he went right back to Leighton. Although Vokoun is certainly better than anyone who was available last year so maybe he would be more tempting.
I'll be curious how Vokoun approaches the UFA market this summer given the way goalies have been F'd. He's made some pretty good coin the last few years... wouldn't be shocked if he's up for a modest contract on a good team. The question, however, is whether you want to potentially hinder Bob's development by signing a goalie like that.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
What makes me most nervous is if Bob/Boucher falter in the playoffs this year, Holmgren will just turn around and go with Bob/Leighton next year and really think that tandem is the solution.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Flyerfan View Post
Enstrom's goal was on Timonen in my opinion. A skater should have given Bob his stick. Instead, Timonen leaves the slot wide open, which Enstrom exploited. Tough to blame that one on Bob..
good point, almost always a player will give his stick to the goalie, if at all, and then wait until after the puck leaves the zone... absolutely no reason for Timmonen to go wandering off to go get Bob's stick there... but its not entirely surprising, this team has not been mentally sharp in well over a month now, tough to pin point and or root out those problems through practice

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
That is exactly his point, though. Those of us who did not like Leighton were angry at the fact that a journeyman goalie was being positioned as our playoff starter. He had no business being in that position and everyone wanted to see him exposed so Holmgren would be forced to get another goalie. The anger was due to the frustration with Holmgren's position on the goaltending situation. Boucher sucked, but that's what you expect from a journeyman. If he was trying to be shoved down our throats as a #1 goalie there would have been the same reaction. BTW Boucher at least as been able to carve out a niche in the NHL as a backup. Leighton has never even been able to hold a steady job in the NHL. So Boucher > Leighton.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Black Ice

I'm still pissed. How the hell could they have just thrown this game away?!

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Walnut

Quote:
I'll be curious how Vokoun approaches the UFA market this summer given the way goalies have been F'd. He's made some pretty good coin the last few years... wouldn't be shocked if he's up for a modest contract on a good team. The question, however, is whether you want to potentially hinder Bob's development by signing a goalie like that.
I'd be happy to give Bob 30 games next year if it meant Vokoun in. Would be a rarity for Vokoun not to play as much. It'd keep him fresh much like the plan for Pronger this year.

Bob is used to playing 30 a year. It would give him more time to get the language, sort out his puck handling and rebound control.

Problem is that Vokoun turns 35 on July 2, so any multi year contract he gets could be an issue if he waits to consider contract options.

Walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:32 PM
ph

Watching the replay it looks like Versteeg tried to go around the boards but hit the skate of the Thrasher behind the net. Puck went to the side of the net and Bob and the defenseman never reacted until it ended up on Ladd's stick.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I think Vokoun will almost certainly have to take a pay cut if he wants to remain in the NHL considering the goalie market. The number of contenders interested in him will also probably be limited. I personally wouldn't hesitate signing Vokoun for a 1-2 year deal if the price is right. Bobrovsky's development is important, but Holmgren has given away all of their future to win now so I think they have to go for it. They could also play Bobrovsky for about 30-35 games which would keep Vokoun fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelValParanormal View Post
What makes me most nervous is if Bob/Boucher falter in the playoffs this year, Holmgren will just turn around and go with Bob/Leighton next year and really think that tandem is the solution.
I am not expecting anything other than that to be honest. I think Leighton will be on the roster next year since he is signed and the Flyers have been unwilling to bury a player in the minors for the duration of their contract.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
Watching the replay it looks like Versteeg tried to go around the boards but hit the skate of the Thrasher behind the net. Puck went to the side of the net and Bob and the defenseman never reacted until it ended up on Ladd's stick.
I thought he just muffed it straight into the side of the cage.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
am not expecting anything other than that to be honest. I think Leighton will be on the roster next year since he is signed and the Flyers have been unwilling to bury a player in the minors for the duration of their contract.
Which makes me nervous for a variety of reasons... not the least being that I don't think Leighton is nearly as good for the backup role as Boucher (who is clearly an ideal teammate).