HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any news on Parse?

Old
03-12-2011, 02:52 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
I believe that for Kings to continue getting better as a team the following players needs to be replaced next year:

1. Michal Handzus
2. Trevor Lewis
3. Ryan Smyth
4. Alexei Ponikarovsky

Their replacements should be:

1. B.Schenn
2. A.Loktionov
3. S.Parse
4. O.Moller

We are going to lose some size in this exchange, but we will gain so much skills and speed.
Smyth has a NMC, so like it or not, he's coming back. Lewis can play wing. The problem with 'The Replacements' is that none of the really play the PK.

I think Zues and Poni are gone, but Smyth and Lewis stay.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:02 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Smyth has a NMC, so like it or not, he's coming back. Lewis can play wing. The problem with 'The Replacements' is that none of the really play the PK.

I think Zues and Poni are gone, but Smyth and Lewis stay.
Do you believe that Trevor Lewis as wing player is better then O.Moller?
Lewis is a great skater but he has stone hands.
I think O.Moller will be much better player when given opportunity.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Moller isn't a 4th line player, Lewis is and can excel on the 4th line. Moller needs to be in the top 6 to excel and improve.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

If Lewis continues to improve like he has shown he can and respond to the demand for consistency, as he also has, he can become our Kris Draper. I am also not ready to give up on his "hands". The kid is still learning the game. Once playing the two way game becomes instinctive, watch him start scoring. Don't underestimate maturity and confidence to developing a scoring touch.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
I like Smyth, but lets face it, he's overpaid by about 2-2.5 million. It's a good thing he'll waive his NMC to go back to Edmonton this summer.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Dustin Brown ($3.175m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) Stoll takes most faceoffs, but plays on the right side.
Brad Richardson ($1.200m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.800m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Oscar Moller ($0.800m) / Scott Parse ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($5.250m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Alec Martinez ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,500,475; BONUSES: $2,602,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,899,525

Last edited by Cook24: 03-12-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Fishhead

Lewis has shown nothing but improvement on his game, and is one of our more diverse players.

re: Moller. I really hope he comes up and sticks next year. He's got heart and talent, it just remains to be seen if it can overcome his lack of size. If he can produce, the Kings will be in a real good spot when Smyth comes off the books in a couple seasons as they will only need one top-6 guy rather than 2 if Moller doesn't pan out.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
I believe Brown/Williams/Simmonds will be our top 3 RW next season. Your 4th line needs to contribute in some way-- Lewis is excellent at the PK, plays strong defense, and provides energy. Given our team makeup and the 'box' that needs to be filled, I'd prefer Lewis in that role.

Caveat: If Williams or Brown get hurt, then I'd rather see Moller in that role rather than Lewis. My preference for players are not Absolute, rather, its fitting a players talents to specific roles on the team.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:38 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
People STILL think Parse is good?

Loktionov, Schenn, Moller, Lewis > Parse.

Kings fans need to drop the thought process that Parse can be a top 6 forward, then after they need to drop the thought process that Parse is a bottom 6 forward.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:44 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
I like Smyth, but lets face it, he's overpaid by about 2-2.5 million. It's a good thing he'll waive his NMC to go back to Edmonton this summer.
And you think Edmonton doesn't know he's overpaid? Seriously, even if Smyth waives his NMC, what on earth makes you think EDM trades for Smyth and his bloated contract. I know its sentimental and all since he started there and grew up not far from there, but from a business point of view, its a terrible decision. Think of it like buying a stock. Its trading for $6 but you know its worth $3.5 and will eventually trade down to $3.5. Do you buy it? No. You lose money on it. If I were EDM, I'd wait a year until Smyth becomes a UFA and sign him to a retirement contract of $1mm or something. Its not like EDM is contending next year and need him to get over the hump.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
And you think Edmonton doesn't know he's overpaid? Seriously, even if Smyth waives his NMC, what on earth makes you think EDM trades for Smyth and his bloated contract. I know its sentimental and all since he started there and grew up not far from there, but from a business point of view, its a terrible decision. Think of it like buying a stock. Its trading for $6 but you know its worth $3.5 and will eventually trade down to $3.5. Do you buy it? No. You lose money on it. If I were EDM, I'd wait a year until Smyth becomes a UFA and sign him to a retirement contract of $1mm or something. Its not like EDM is contending next year and need him to get over the hump.

Edmonton has plenty of cap space. They are too damn young. One year of Smyth would do wonders for Halls growth. With that being said, your right in it not being likely, its also not as out of the question as your making it out to be.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:57 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
If Lewis continues to improve like he has shown he can and respond to the demand for consistency, as he also has, he can become our Kris Draper. I am also not ready to give up on his "hands". The kid is still learning the game. Once playing the two way game becomes instinctive, watch him start scoring. Don't underestimate maturity and confidence to developing a scoring touch.
I tend to agree. Once the defensive demands of TM's system become second nature to him the kid is going to start putting up some points. He concentrates on his "heavy" game now because he knows that is the thing keeping him in the lineup night in and night out.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Also, I'm not convinced Smyth waives his NMC. He's banked more money than he'll ever spend and will be paid the same regardless of where he plays next year. He's got plenty of international Golds as Captain Canada. The one thing he's missing is a Stanley Cup. Who's got a better shot of winning the Cup-- LA or EDM? If I were him and I had control of this decision, I'd want to make one more serious playoff push before playing on my "retirement contract" with EDM.

Old
03-12-2011, 07:33 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post

Kings fans need to drop the thought process that Parse can be a top 6 forward, then after they need to drop the thought process that Parse is a bottom 6 forward.

May be it true, may be it is not.
Do you remember Matt Moulson?
I wish we had him on our second line today.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:37 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
May be it true, may be it is not.
Do you remember Matt Moulson?
I wish we had him on our second line today.
I agree with you on MM and its a fair point.

The biggest difference in Lewis is that he was brought along slowly and given a spot this year without being yanked around. They had plans for TL and once he was ready they gave him his go and thankfully decided to leave him to it for the season. My opinion is that he has done himself proud and will be around for awhile.

I like the Draper comparison give or take.

He has a ways to go but he is clearly on his way.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

As for Parse he is trying to get back before the end of the season. The last I had heard was that he felt tightness as he was close to coming back and ended up having to ease off a bit. Skating last week and working with strength/conditioning trainer at the Toyota Center.

Who knows at this point if he will be playoff ready by the time he can come back or that we would be all too excited if he was at this point but to say that he isn't a useful or effective player doesn't seem right to me.

Old
03-12-2011, 08:47 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
If Lewis continues to improve like he has shown he can and respond to the demand for consistency, as he also has, he can become our Kris Draper.
Kris Draper, age 24 ... 147 games, 17 goals, 40 points, +8, .27 PPG
Trevor Lewis, age 24 ... 69 games, 3 goals, 11 points, -13, .16 PPG

Quote:

... Parse was one of the Kings' most efficient players last season, if you look at production (scoring, plus-minus, etc.) per minute of play. I don't see how he drops below Moller and Lewis simply because he's been injured this season. Schenn and Loktionov certainly look promising at a younger age, but let's wait for them to show something at the NHL level before anything else.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:51 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

[QUOTE=JT Dutch;31628501]Kris Draper, age 24 ... 147 games, 17 goals, 40 points, +8
Trevor Lewis, age 24 ... 69 games, 3 goals, 11 points, -13

Different teams, different times, different coaches = an imperfect comparison on both sides especially when the comparison wasn't based on actual production but in Lewis being our version of Draper. Nobody once said that Trevor Lewis is exactly the same or perfectly equal to being Draper.

Just that he can become in time a player for us like Draper is for Detroit.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:56 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Parse was one of the Kings' most efficient players last season, if you look at production (scoring, plus-minus, etc.) per minute of play. I don't see how he drops below Moller and Lewis simply because he's been injured this season. Schenn and Loktionov certainly look promising at a younger age, but let's wait for them to show something at the NHL level before anything else.
I usually enjoy the statistics that you use to back your arguments, but THIS particular one just doesn't work. I'm wondering what Parse EVER did to get him the label as this "offensive juggernaut." Was it that one highlight reel goal he had against Calgary? Everyone can accidentally score a nice goal. Was it his points in college? A LOT of people have put a ton of numbers in college and failed to succeed in the NHL.

Parse doesn't fit on this team, much like Moulson didn't and if Parse ends up scoring 20+ goals every year then so be it. He never showed that talent here, so how can we expect him to do it elsewhere?

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
I usually enjoy the statistics that you use to back your arguments, but THIS particular one just doesn't work. I'm wondering what Parse EVER did to get him the label as this "offensive juggernaut." Was it that one highlight reel goal he had against Calgary? Everyone can accidentally score a nice goal. Was it his points in college? A LOT of people have put a ton of numbers in college and failed to succeed in the NHL.

Parse doesn't fit on this team, much like Moulson didn't and if Parse ends up scoring 20+ goals every year then so be it. He never showed that talent here, so how can we expect him to do it elsewhere?
Parse has done nothing but produce for the Kings with limited minutes. I don't understand your hatred for him.

I don't think anyone has ever called him an "offensive juggernaut", but Dean said he was in the top 3 in pure skill on the Kings (before Penner). He has a career 14.3% shooting percentage. He had 4 points in 5 games with the Kings this year (+5).

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
My suggested centers for Kings are:

Kopitar
Schenn
Loktionov
Stoll

I do not see any place for Trevor Lewis
i rather have Lewis centering the 4th line.
Stoll is great trade bait and we should use him as long as other teams think he is a center.
One of the most serious offense problems is missing creativity and playmaking skills from our centers.

Kopitar
Loktionov
Schenn
Lewis will do

something like

Parse - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Loktionov - Brown
Smyth - Schenn - Simmonds
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson/true 4th line tool per UFA

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:03 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
i rather have Lewis centering the 4th line.
Stoll is great trade bait and we should use him as long as other teams think he is a center.
One of the most serious offense problems is missing creativity and playmaking skills from our centers.

Kopitar
Loktionov
Schenn
Lewis will do

something like

Parse - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Loktionov - Brown
Smyth - Schenn - Simmonds
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson/true 4th line tool per UFA
I know you hate Stoll and all, but you seriously want to go into next year with 2 rookies and a 2nd yr pro as our centers? Unless faceoffs are eliminated as part of the game, your dream scenario of centers isn't happening. Sorry dude.

Old
03-13-2011, 03:02 AM
redcard

This real question is which Eastern Conference bottom feeder is Parse going to go on to score 30 goals with evoking the "Dean never should have let him go" threads?

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:13 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
He didn't last season, why should we expect anything different this year?

Last year after the Olympic Break (in which he had rest) Ryan Smyth finished the year with 3 goals in 21 games and then continued his disappearing act in the playoffs. This year it's 1 goal in the past 18 games while being a defensive liability.

This guy should not be counted on to Play a Top 6 role, whether it's moving someone up or calling someone up.
Is this really about Parse or Symth?

Dude, give it up. Parse hasn't played one game all season. Are you for real?

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Whiskeypete

-Parse isn't going to make the line-up if he returns.
-Penner is locked on the #1
-Smyth is locked in at #2
-Clifford is locked at #3
-nothing is locked at #4, but Murray can flip flop at any moment and their he's got multiple choices already for the #4

-Parse's next shot will happen at training camp.
-he will also be competing against some of the MAN kids at that point
-he is a UFA after 2011/12. next season is his last chance to crack the LA line-up and show something. i honestly don't see DL re-signing him after if he doesn't show something next season, but it's a 50/50 coin flip. he would provide depth in the org for a very cheap price, but at the same time it's committing $$$ and a roster spot (someplace) to a guy that hasn't panned out. sometimes you just have to 'cut bait'
-of all LA's assets Parse has the highest likelihood of being the next Moulson, Purcell, etc. it sucks but every org has this happen to them

-Smyth is the player that will make keeping Parse around difficult. his NMC and last remaining year on a fat contract means he isn't going anyplace.
-i would love to see Smyth moved for a younger player
-at the same time i would like to see Smyth stay to mentor the guys moving up. i think the best thing for him would be a reduced role in GP next season, in anticipation of saving him for the playoffs. he has been completely ineffective the past month and personally i think he's wearing down physically.
-Smyth still has top 6 hands and mental ability, it's a matter of saving his legs so he can get down ice. down and in position for the late playoff push and in the playoffs when it matters

-Stoll isn't going anyplace either. part of his job next year, which will be his last also will be to help mentor Schenn and Lokti at C
-with Zus likely not being re-signed Jarrett's importance to the team is even greater. that leaves Kopi and stoll as the most veteran C's. Lewis is still a work in progress and getting better.
-Lewis imo has been doing a good to lately a very good job in the #4 slot. his game is steadily improving and he's doing whats asked. personally i like that his role has started to include some PK time out there. any reduction of Kopi's TOI esp during the PK will help in the long run

i think the only 'sure thing' at this point is Zus and harrold not being re-signed. Poni i could see returning, but at a reduced cost. his game has come around and i think he finally has found what Murray expects of him. he isn't scoring, but his physical play and huge body is something LA needs.

that leaves one C position and maybe one LW spot open next season. remember Murray is an advocate of the not 'losing your roster spot to an injury' school of thought.

position / player / line
C Kopi 1, C Stoll 2, C Schenn-Lokti 3, C Lewis 4
LW Penner 1, LW Smyth 2, LW Clifford 3, LW ? 4
RW Williams 1, RW Brown 2, RW Simmonds 3, RW(revolving door of players like this year) 4

the D pairings will be real interesting. AMart's unexpected rise and play has put DL into a position i'm guessing he didnt expect to be in. not just yet anyway. he has more D depth earlier in the process than planned. i would put money on it, but im guessing that internally they didn't foresee his development happening this fast. next year, but not this season.

Wiskie is under contract thru 2012/13 (UFA after). there is concern that Voynov will bolt back to RUS if he isn't brought to LA. Muzzin cracked the line up this past season. Hickey is still a wild card in the mix. personally i wouldnt be surprised to see DL move Wiskie at the draft for a pick or prospect. he needs to make room for Voynov in LA. if Voynov isn't brought to LA then it's possible DL also trades him, rather than lose him to RUS.

with all those questions here is another scenario. one i hadn't contemplated but now that i think of it makes sense. AMart is a RFA this summer. he will have ~50 to 60 GP at the conclusion of the season. Could/would DL move AMart at the draft? a young, smart, PMD, very affordable ($662K this season), 1 year of NHL experience that shows very good promise. if DL moved Wiskie and AMart at the draft it gives him two slots to move up Voynov and one other to LA to get mentored. yes it would make the LA roster in terms of NHL exp weaker, but perhaps maybe not necessarily worse.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:38 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

I'm hoping Holloway grabs that spot next year. Let them battle it out.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote