HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raleigh and the Triangle Guide and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

vCash: 500
Again thanks for all of the info.

Old
03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Yeah I want to get there early to check things out and watch warm ups. Does RBC let fans stand down by the glass during warm ups?
Yes...you'll want to go down in sections 124-128 to watch CBJ warm up (Canes are at the other end of the ice).

Old
03-08-2011, 09:41 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah I want to get there early to check things out and watch warm ups. Does RBC let fans stand down by the glass during warm ups?

For the Pit would it be a good idea to call ahead if we are going to be there around 2, or should we be ok to get a table then?
You *should* be OK at 2 since the lunch rush should have cleared out. But like Anton Cooper points out you could always call and ask. Your other good option is to go ahead and book a table at opentable.com since The Pit participates in that.

Whatever you do, my recommendation - get a double combo of chopped barbeque and fried chicken and then the sides of our choice. They have both Eastern-style and Western-style sauces at the table so you can choose to try either or both, but since you're in Raleigh, it's sort of required that you try Eastern-style (vinegar and pepper-based as opposed to the tomato-based Western-style).

Old
03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Again thank for the info guys. I had a great time at the game and your fans were great.

Old
03-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Again thank for the info guys. I had a great time at the game and your fans were great.
Just curious, which section did you sit in?

Old
03-12-2011, 10:33 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No problem and glad we could help. How was the Pit?

Old
03-13-2011, 07:39 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Just curious, which section did you sit in?
We were in 117 row Z. I had a Umberger 3rd jersey on and my wife had a blank home jersey on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
No problem and glad we could help. How was the Pit?
Sadly we never made it there. we drove down on only 4 hours of sleep and once we got to the hotel we passed out. But we will be back in NC later this year so I will be sure to get some BBQ then.

Old
03-13-2011, 11:02 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
We were in 117 row Z. I had a Umberger 3rd jersey on and my wife had a blank home jersey on.

Sadly we never made it there. we drove down on only 4 hours of sleep and once we got to the hotel we passed out. But we will be back in NC later this year so I will be sure to get some BBQ then.
Good deal, Howitzer. Let us know when you come on down. If it's baseball season and you're a fan try to catch a Durham Bulls game.

Old
03-16-2011, 08:09 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

How's traffic like getting to and from the arena? I'm thinking about making the trip down from WNY with a few friends for the game on April third against the Sabres. Would probably stay with my Uncle who is also a former Buffalonian in Lexington, wondering how much of a delay there is after the game getting out of there.

Old
03-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
How's traffic like getting to and from the arena? I'm thinking about making the trip down from WNY with a few friends for the game on April third against the Sabres. Would probably stay with my Uncle who is also a former Buffalonian in Lexington, wondering how much of a delay there is after the game getting out of there.
Almost none. I live about 15 miles from the RBC center. I usually leave my house around 6:15-6:20 or so (for a 7pm game) and have no problems. I also am usually home in about 25 minutes from when I walk out of the arena doors after the game.

Traffic shouldn't be an issue.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Garver

Old response to this comment, but....

Being an NC State fan, I'm going to say definitely that most Canes fans are Pack fans. Brindy has big ties to NCSU as well, and the teams go together like peanut butter and jelly

I would have just said make your pick of one of the universities, and left it at that.

Also.... Rack of ribs? Lol. I want pulled pork when I think of NC Barbeque. No wonder I saw so many people going to Dickie's when Smithfields or Carolina BBQ were just across the street

Old
05-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Made some much needed updates to the first post.

Old
05-23-2011, 08:21 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice update, AC/DC - two slight corrections:

1) I think you may have accidentally deleted reference to the Mudcats (still the AA-level affiliate of the Reds until next year when the team moves to Pensacola, FL and the Kinston Indians move to Zebulon to become the "new" Mudcats, who'll be an Advanced A-level affiliate of the Cleveland Indians for a year before their PDC expires)

2) The RailHawks are no longer part of the USL 1st Division (which no longer exists) but have joined the nascent North American Soccer League

Old
05-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Didn't feel like making another thread, so I have a rather large question.

Where is a place that an NC State student could learn to play ice hockey?

Seemed the best place to ask.

Old
05-24-2011, 07:55 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Define learn to play.

The Ice Plex runs some adult hockey education classes and has lower level leagues and is within 15 minutes of campus. The Cary Ice House has a pretty crappy surface, but is one exit down US 1 in the Crossroads area. I'm not sure how their organized hockey is. The Rec-Zone used to be another option, but it just got foreclosed on recently, so the Ice Plex is probably your best option. www.iceplex.com

Old
06-27-2011, 06:54 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Since you guys have areas designated to scalpers, and a set limit of how much they can go over... I'm assuming it would be harder to find a good deal on something like StubHub, no? I'm looking at going to a game this year, with no more Thrashers, but usually buy my out of town tickets on StubHub, or something similar. Last year when we went to Nashville, I was able to scoop up 3 tickets on SH about 10 rows from the glass, on the corner, for about $55/ticket... and that was a Saturday night against the Hawks and a sell out.

Also, how is traffic on a Friday? I've never been in the area, but since we'll be there all weekend, we'll probably be driving up Friday morning and arriving early in the evening. Do we need to plan to have extra time if we get stuck in a traffic jam, or should be not have to worry much about that?

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by RayP: 06-27-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old
06-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Guy

vCash: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Since you guys have areas designated to scalpers, and a set limit of how much they can go over... I'm assuming it would be harder to find a good deal on something like StubHub, no? I'm looking at going to a game this year, with no more Thrashers, but usually buy my out of town tickets on StubHub, or something similar. Last year when we went to Nashville, I was able to scoop up 3 tickets on SH about 10 rows from the glass, on the corner, for about $55/ticket... and that was a Saturday night against the Hawks and a sell out.
Our stubhub selection is usually pretty limited to scalpers who have been grandfathered into having season tickets in our Upper Goal Zone and a few regular priced tickets scattered throughout the rest of the arena. You'll see 50 listings, and 40+ will be in the UGZ, with folks trying to get $30-40 for a $15-25 ticket. Occasionally on the day of the game you will see those listings drop significantly to under 10 when they realize it's that or nothing. it's worth looking at Stubhub on a game-by-game basis to see if there's a deal out there though. you'll also occasionally find auctions on Ebay that end the day of the game for cheap, but that kind of thing works better for folks already in Raleigh.

Quote:
Also, how is traffic on a Friday? I've never been in the area, but since we'll be there all weekend, we'll probably be driving up Friday morning and arriving early in the evening. Do we need to plan to have extra time if we get stuck in a traffic jam, or should be not have to worry much about that?
I'd try to get in before 4 if possible, or else you can get stuck anywhere between a 25 mile section from Durham to Raleigh starting around exit 270 of I-40. It likely won't be stop and go, but you may be slowed down.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:34 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
Our stubhub selection is usually pretty limited to scalpers who have been grandfathered into having season tickets in our Upper Goal Zone and a few regular priced tickets scattered throughout the rest of the arena. You'll see 50 listings, and 40+ will be in the UGZ, with folks trying to get $30-40 for a $15-25 ticket. Occasionally on the day of the game you will see those listings drop significantly to under 10 when they realize it's that or nothing. it's worth looking at Stubhub on a game-by-game basis to see if there's a deal out there though. you'll also occasionally find auctions on Ebay that end the day of the game for cheap, but that kind of thing works better for folks already in Raleigh.

I'd try to get in before 4 if possible, or else you can get stuck anywhere between a 25 mile section from Durham to Raleigh starting around exit 270 of I-40. It likely won't be stop and go, but you may be slowed down.
Good info, thanks. Do you have a suggestion on where you prefer to sit when you go? I don't know why I never consider eBay, but I probably should. Also, if there is anyone here that is a STH that sells them, PM me and we can talk about it if you want. We're eyeing the two Friday night games (Nov 25th and Mar 30th), but not sure which one we're going to go to. Don't really want to go over Thanksgiving weekend, but was already planning a trip for the Hawks game on Mar 31st in Nash.

Sounds good. I can't imagine it is anything like Atlanta traffic, but had to confirm just to be safe.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:25 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Good info, thanks. Do you have a suggestion on where you prefer to sit when you go? I don't know why I never consider eBay, but I probably should. Also, if there is anyone here that is a STH that sells them, PM me and we can talk about it if you want. We're eyeing the two Friday night games (Nov 25th and Mar 30th), but not sure which one we're going to go to. Don't really want to go over Thanksgiving weekend, but was already planning a trip for the Hawks game on Mar 31st in Nash.

Sounds good. I can't imagine it is anything like Atlanta traffic, but had to confirm just to be safe.
Ray - as for where to sit, there's honestly not a bad seat in the RBC Center. I've sat in multiple sections in different areas of the upper and lower bowls and have had good sightlines from just about every seat. There are a few seats in the upper goal zone that are marked as "limited view" - in those cases there's a glass partition in your sightline that will *slightly* distort part of the ice. It's really no big deal, though. I'll say from experience that seats at the corners seem to be a little narrower than seats at the ends. In terms of finding tickets you can also take a look at the seat exchange the 'Canes run on Ticketmaster to let STHs resell their tickets. Prices tend to be a little pricier than StubHub though, so you're probably not going to have as much luck there.

As for driving up, I imagine you'd take I-85 up from Atlanta - my advice here is to give yourself plenty of travel time as you'll be driving through NC's 3 most populated areas - the Charlotte area, the Triad, and the Triangle. All three have the potential to have major traffic issues, though probably nothing as bad as what you'd find in Atlanta.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:50 AM
RayP

Quote:
Ray - as for where to sit, there's honestly not a bad seat in the RBC Center. I've sat in multiple sections in different areas of the upper and lower bowls and have had good sightlines from just about every seat. There are a few seats in the upper goal zone that are marked as "limited view" - in those cases there's a glass partition in your sightline that will *slightly* distort part of the ice. It's really no big deal, though. I'll say from experience that seats at the corners seem to be a little narrower than seats at the ends. In terms of finding tickets you can also take a look at the seat exchange the 'Canes run on Ticketmaster to let STHs resell their tickets. Prices tend to be a little pricier than StubHub though, so you're probably not going to have as much luck there.

As for driving up, I imagine you'd take I-85 up from Atlanta - my advice here is to give yourself plenty of travel time as you'll be driving through NC's 3 most populated areas - the Charlotte area, the Triad, and the Triangle. All three have the potential to have major traffic issues, though probably nothing as bad as what you'd find in Atlanta.

Good to know. Being that I'm a Hawks fan first, we'll probably stick to something a little cheaper for when we go to your barn and save cash for better tickets for one of those games that we go to.

Gotcha. Well that's good to know, and yeah, I don't think the traffic could even rival here, but probably best to plan for some especially on a Friday.

If anyone has any bar suggestions, those would be welcome. Probably would just be looking for a place with a great burger, and good liquor selection with decent sized drinks. That was the one disappointed thing about Nashville, the drinks there were so small and the pours usually sucked.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:10 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Good to know. Being that I'm a Hawks fan first, we'll probably stick to something a little cheaper for when we go to your barn and save cash for better tickets for one of those games that we go to.

Gotcha. Well that's good to know, and yeah, I don't think the traffic could even rival here, but probably best to plan for some especially on a Friday.

If anyone has any bar suggestions, those would be welcome. Probably would just be looking for a place with a great burger, and good liquor selection with decent sized drinks. That was the one disappointed thing about Nashville, the drinks there were so small and the pours usually sucked.
My suggestions straight off would be The Raleigh Times (http://www.raleightimesbar.com/), Player's Retreat (http://www.playersretreat.net/), and Backyard Bistro (http://www.backyardbistro.com/) - particularly Raleigh Times and Player's Retreat. Bistro earns cred for being across the street from the RBC Center, but the burger at RT has received nominations for being the best in NC and Player's Retreat has the largest scotch selection in the state.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:20 AM
RayP

Quote:
My suggestions straight off would be The Raleigh Times (http://www.raleightimesbar.com/), Player's Retreat (http://www.playersretreat.net/), and Backyard Bistro (http://www.backyardbistro.com/) - particularly Raleigh Times and Player's Retreat. Bistro earns cred for being across the street from the RBC Center, but the burger at RT has received nominations for being the best in NC and Player's Retreat has the largest scotch selection in the state.
Sounds great! I'm more of a bourbon guy, but would never turn down a good scotch. I'm personally not picky with my drinks, but am going to be going with some bartenders that are going to be high maitenance as well. Maybe I'll send them elsewhere and sneak there with my buddy. I might be back in a few months asking for some of the worst bars in the area.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:57 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Sounds great! I'm more of a bourbon guy, but would never turn down a good scotch. I'm personally not picky with my drinks, but am going to be going with some bartenders that are going to be high maitenance as well. Maybe I'll send them elsewhere and sneak there with my buddy. I might be back in a few months asking for some of the worst bars in the area.
Trust me, if they're at all into the beer scene they won't be disappointed by Raleigh Times. And there's a Tyler's Taproom finally opening up in Raleigh as well that I have to pimp, considering I'm looking to bartend up there part time.

Old
08-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

So there is now a bar named after the paper I used to string for? Outstanding. The Raleigh Times was a great afternoon paper.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:48 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
So there is now a bar named after the paper I used to string for? Outstanding. The Raleigh Times was a great afternoon paper.
There is indeed, Citizen Cane - it's even located in the Times' original offices on W. Hargett St. My only gripe against them now is that, as part of the Hatem Empire Eats group, they're one of the main blocks to allowing food trucks downtown.

BTW speaking of those Empire Eats schmucks, AC, could you be so kind as to remove Fai Thai from the restaurant list? The curse of that location continues as it's already gone out of business. I wonder what their next concept's going to be there...I hear there's lots of people squawking for an Indian place in downtown...

Also, there's Rocky Top Hospitality's new beer and burger concept, Draft. Haven't tried it yet but I've heard good reviews. Mrs. Garnetpalmetto and I have a Groupon to try it out so I'll be sure to give my take on it afterwards.

Last edited by garnetpalmetto: 08-30-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Closed Thread