HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#68: Thrashers @ Flyers - Saturday, Mar. 12, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
If Versteeg wants to wear #10, he better find a way to shoot it THROUGH the side of the net....

Oh Johny Vermont I miss you.

And I am glad i missed this game....pathetic.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Missed the game. Glad I did.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:17 AM
PhilaFlyers

I guess its better for this ******** to happen now rather than in the playoffs.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:29 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
I guess its better for this ******** to happen now rather than in the playoffs.
If the team keeps playing like this, then expect it to happen in the playoffs too. I don't know why the team is suddenly playing sloppy. Just because you're the top seed in the east does not give you the right to coast. Lavi better bag skate their *****.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I was there and the only good thing it was Fan Appreciation Night and the wife and I got $50.00 for PC Richards. By the end of the 2nd period Bob was my 1st star Ville was my second and Timmo was my third. Atlanta was all over us in the two 1st periods but because of our special teams and Bob the score said otherwise. Even strength the Briere and Richards line's were brutal. The Betts and G lines were somewhat better. But going into the 3rd Atlanta keep pouring it on. But even saying that,I thought when he popped the hat trick I thought that would be the end of it. To watch the last three minutes and OT was just brutal. I am not going in to detail cause it was just to ugly. I know games like this have happened before. But when you are one of the best teams in the league a you have a 3 zip lead going into the 3rd. You are supposed the put the hammer down and win. I was at the old Spectrum when we lost to the Islanders in some what the same fashion. Another one for me was against the Kings in LA when Larry Murphy got us. The leaders better get everyone in line including themselves and I hope they do

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:26 AM
TheKingPin

Was on call the last 24hrs waiting to see this game. Such ********. How the **** does versteeg **** that up and what is couburn doing. Bob doesnt seem to make thost key saves not that he had a chance in hell on the last few but the kid is small and pucks get around him too easy.

This team has several holes that are not getting fixed. They have a decent amount of games to do it. **** being tired from practices, they need it right now. Lose some games now so what as long as it means we are taking time to fix what needs to be fixed. Close a game out. ****

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:27 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
If the team keeps playing like this, then expect it to happen in the playoffs too. I don't know why the team is suddenly playing sloppy. Just because you're the top seed in the east does not give you the right to coast. Lavi better bag skate their *****.
yea for real. tired? tough **** its time to practice. no days off. man up

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Sounds like they got the day off.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Doyle

The past several weeks have seen quite a few tendencies by the Philadelphia Flyers. Some continued Saturday night, some did not in the Atlanta Thrashers’ jaw-dropping 5-4 overtime victory over the home team.

http://nhlhotstove.com/flyers-waste-...l-to-thrashers

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:56 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
People forget, even with the goaltending, this team is designed to be a defense of no mistakes. They have to pretty much be perfect every night in order to get 2 points. I can see 18 shots in the 3rd period, but 4 goals given up is downright repulsive, especially for a defense that is supposedly deep. They choked. Either that's getting turned around, or it's not. Leino scores on the power play to take a 4-2 lead with less than 7 minutes to go. Teams poised for greatness keep that door shut.

In short order this has reverted back to how they were playing last March. They get worse as the game goes on. Loafing through large stretches of the games. The games they get leads in they just expect the other team to go away, and when they don't they're spilling their guts just to make sure they get 2 points (or in some cases, 1). I'm on record as willing to be patient for another week or so, but depending on how they respond to this, can't argue with those considering abandoning the ship. They don't play 60 minutes. Teams who don't play 60 minutes don't play hockey in May. The way they're playing right now, they'll be easy pickings in the first round like they were in 2009, especially if it's the Devils. Oh by the way, for the people who a month ago said it was impossible for the Devils to make up enough points and go 20-3 or whatever...they're 6 points out.

But they still have time to figure it out.
If you need your D to be perfect every night to get 2 points, you're not going to win any games.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
yea for real. tired? tough **** its time to practice. no days off. man up
Man up? That's brilliant. Clearly this team has shown a lack of fortitude since Laviolette took over.

This team has been getting outscored by something like 20-4 in the third period of the last however many games. The fact that their recent games have been a tale of two teams (the one that starts the game, and the one that finishes it) tell you that the effort is there, the legs are not. They have had good first periods in all their recent games, and are visibly a step slower than every team they play in the third period. They're gassed to the point that they obviously have the will to compete hard but not the legs. You can't "man up" to being tired. You can still skate hard but if you're tired the other guy is going to be faster than you, and that is what's happening.

At any rate they fought hard and still got a W last night, that is "manning up" in a way. Laviolette is not a "player's coach" in the usual sense. If he gave them the day off after a game like that, it's because they needed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
If you need your D to be perfect every night to get 2 points, you're not going to win any games.
Agreed, but I think that GKJ was exaggerating his point so as to emphasize it. The games they've been getting two points with of late (when they've gotten the two points), have been mediocre performances for an average NHL defense, and disappointing for a team with a roster of this caliber. They're not playing very well.

I just hope Laviolette can give them enough days off to recharge by the time the play-offs come around. Because right now, they're clearly not fresh enough to find the gear they did last year, even if their hearts find the same place, the team on the ice won't be as strong.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 03-13-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Garbage Goal

Yeah, this is getting pretty disconcerting. Flyers are kind of showing right now why it's uncommon for a team to go the SCF two times in a row.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:02 PM
BWAVgal
If we burn, you burn

vCash: 50
I think they have the energy but not the hockey smarts. A lot of guys making bad passes and bad reads at inopportune times. Lavy needs to drill into these guys how not to give up leads in the 3rd, what the hell is going on?

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:50 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Lavy needs to drill into these guys how not to give up leads in the 3rd
Yeah, I can't wait to see them after a full training camp with Laviolette oh wait

Seriously, last year when they gave up leads in the third period it was because their coach was too friendly and didn't have them in good condition. This year when they give up leads in the third period, well....

?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:54 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

And, with Briere and Timonen taking their lumps, let's leave no stone unturned:

How many goals does Mike Richards have in his last twenty games?

Old
03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
i thought the great Matt Carle was going to save us last night.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
BringBackStevens

The sloppiness is a bit puzzling. We haven't really seen the team play this sloppy for this long of a stretch under Laviolette. It's not characteristic of a Laviolette team. It needs to get squashed fast though, or its going to continue to fester and I think the chances of shaking it decrease as time goes on

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:57 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

If only John Stevens and Randy Jones were still around

Old
03-13-2011, 01:59 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

yeah we need a coach who will be their best friend and let em party all the time.
that may work with this group.

oh wait........

Old
03-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
I think they have the energy but not the hockey smarts. A lot of guys making bad passes and bad reads at inopportune times. Lavy needs to drill into these guys how not to give up leads in the 3rd, what the hell is going on?
They weren't doing these things in the 3rd earlier in the year. Did they forget how to play hockey? I doubt that's the problem. They're tired, and your feet aren't the only thing that gets slower when you're tired. Your brain slows down, and the game seems faster. You make mistakes.

Quote:
Yeah, I can't wait to see them after a full training camp with Laviolette oh wait

Seriously, last year when they gave up leads in the third period it was because their coach was too friendly and didn't have them in good condition. This year when they give up leads in the third period, well....
?
I think it's pretty clear they've emptied the tank. The difference is that when they're tired and blowing leads for Laviolette they're first in the conference a. When they're tired and blowing leads in the third period for Stevens, it was game 15 of the season.

Both are problems, but they're not even close to being the same problem. I think you're smart enough to see the difference, you've just got your pro-Stevens agenda.

I honestly think the best thing for this team would be to eat and sleep their ***** off for about a week and a half with no hockey other than games. If they lose games, they lose games. It's about the big picture.

Old
03-13-2011, 02:02 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

He's got 14 points in his last 20 games.

He's in a bit a funk offensively as have most of our team been during that stretch.

Do you have a point?

Old
03-13-2011, 02:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post

He's in a bit a funk offensively as have most of our team been during that stretch.

Do you have a point?
he just has a hard on for the great John Stevens. That and some only like showing up spewing garbage when the team is in a funk

Old
03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post

Do you have a point?
What's the answer to the question?

Old
03-13-2011, 03:02 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
The difference is that when they're tired and blowing leads for Laviolette they're first in the conference a. When they're tired and blowing leads in the third period for Stevens, it was game 15 of the season.

Both are problems, but they're not even close to being the same problem.
I know.

When Stevens' teams struggled, it was because they were injured and, let's face it, not nearly as stocked as this team.

There's no blaming this on injuries or AHL players.

Old
03-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
What's the answer to the question?
The answer to the question is that how many goals a player has scored in their recent games is a ridiculous oversimplification of performance. So the simple, numerical answer to your question is almost moot.