HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs ain't dead yet

Old
03-13-2011, 08:52 AM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Folks,

1. Do not change what someone said if you quote them, even if it's obvious that it's not something they said, unless they are ok with it.

2. If you think a post breaks the site rules, report it. Do not get into a debate about it.
Thanks on #1. You are right on #2. I apologize. I should have just alerted mod. Temper got the best of me.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's not always his fault. I went more from him that's all. He's our star, our big contract. I want more. Granted they had crap players in the lineup tonite but I need Miller to dominate in that situation. Dominate. He didn't do that. I want the save on the first goal. I want that. I need that from him.
Miller is definately our star but he isn't our big contract. That would be Vanek's. Thats been the case since he signed that offersheet. In real salary (currently 6.4mil to Miller's 6.25mil) and cap hit (7.142mil to Miller's 6.25mil) Vanek still is the highest paid Sabre.

I know you're pushing an agenda but Vanek's 7yr 50mil deal is without question our big contract not Miller's 5yr 31.25 mil.

If you want to compare which of them has been the bigger impact player for the team the last several seasons. That would be a landslide win for Miller.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-13-2011 at 12:01 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:21 PM
murdoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Miller is definately our star but he isn't our big contract. That would be Vanek's. Thats been the case since he signed that offersheet. In real salary (currently 6.4mil to Miller's 6.25mil) and cap hit (7.142mil to Miller's 6.25mil) Vanek still is the highest paid Sabre.

I know you're pushing an agenda but Vanek's 7yr 50mil deal is without question our big contract not Miller's 5yr 31.25 mil.

If you want to compare which of them has been the bigger impact player for the team the last several seasons. That would be a landslide win for Miller.
the last few seasons it was miller without a doubt but i would say vanek has the bigger impact this season.

murdoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:22 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:

You can't state Miller is having a bad year without it being called an agenda? The idea that Miller is immune from criticism is absurd.
Vanek? Take all the shots you want. He is way overpaid. For sure. Bad contract but Edmonton forced us in to it. For PR reasons, the Sabres matched. I'm happy to say Vanek has not been the player we need from that contract. I just don't he'll ever be or even had a chance to live up to that contract. He's two million too high and always will be.

Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 03-13-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old
03-13-2011, 12:31 PM
ct2111

Vanek has been well worth his contract this season. Other seasons, not so much. The idea, that he'd be only getting 5m is kinda ridiculous though, look what other comparables make. He'd get atleast 6m and there could be a team that would throw Gaborik money at him.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:53 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoq View Post
the last few seasons it was miller without a doubt but i would say vanek has the bigger impact this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
Vanek has been well worth his contract this season. Other seasons, not so much. The idea, that he'd be only getting 5m is kinda ridiculous though, look what other comparables make. He'd get atleast 6m and there could be a team that would throw Gaborik money at him.
Its not a shot at Vanek. Its pointing out the absurdity of expecting Miller to save the day all the time because of his contract.

Vanek didn't score last night but I thought he played well. But based on the logic employed by the poster I quoted. We should be ripping Vanek because he is our big contract guy and he should have taken over the game and won it for us.

Saying Miller didn't play well or he should have been better is one thing. Ripping him for not saving the day because he is "supposed to" based on his contract is absurd IMO.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:01 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Its not a shot at Vanek. Its pointing out the absurdity of expecting Miller to save the day all the time because of his contract.

Vanek didn't score last night but I thought he played well. But based on the logic employed by the poster I quoted. We should be ripping Vanek because he is our big contract guy and he should have taken over the game and won it for us.

Saying Miller didn't play well or he should have been better is one thing. Ripping him for not saving the day because he is "supposed to" based on his contract is absurd IMO.
That wasn't really a response to your posting. Was more trying to point out (because HogTown said he's overpaid by 2m) that he's overpaid by maybe 1m (caphit that is). Without him, our PP sucks even more, Pominville becomes less effective offensively and in general there isn't one legit #1 scoring line.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:06 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:

I think he should be held to higher standard. I've argued for him to be captain. For that price, he needs to be our best forward on the ice and that's not always the case.
I actually believe he has been going the extra mile lately. He's way more creative now with Roy gone, for whatever reason.
I just don't think he has the skills to be a $7.1 million (cap hit) player ever. In effect, I've giving up on him living up to that deal.
I can move on to other players too. I won't mention Tiny Tim. How about Pominville? He rarely plays at his $5.3-million contract. He's a 20-25-goal, 50-60 point guy now. Signed off a career year. He's not getting any better. He is what he is.
The difference to me is I really believe Miller can be a top five goalie and worth more than his contract like he was in 2009-2010. It has rarely happened this year. I'm not sure why but it's not just the D. It's him too.

Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 03-13-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old
03-13-2011, 01:36 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
That wasn't really a response to your posting. Was more trying to point out (because HogTown said he's overpaid by 2m) that he's overpaid by maybe 1m (caphit that is). Without him, our PP sucks even more, Pominville becomes less effective offensively and in general there isn't one legit #1 scoring line.
If Vanek was a UFA would someone give him $6-million. Perhaps you're right. UFA contracts are usually inflated because demand outstrips supply for two weeks. I wouldn't want the contract but somebody gave Drury $7-million.