HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who is the most likely rookie to make the Rangers in 2011-12?

View Poll Results: Who is the most likely prospect to make the Rangers next season?
LW Carl Hagelin 30 16.04%
LW Chris Kreider 76 40.64%
LW Evgeny Grachev 36 19.25%
RW Christian Thomas 4 2.14%
C Ethan Werek 2 1.07%
LW Roman Horak 1 0.53%
LW Ryan Bourque 2 1.07%
RW Dale Weise 4 2.14%
D Pavel Valentenko 30 16.04%
D Tomas Kundratek 2 1.07%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
I voted Kreider, but upon deliberation I can see Hagelin making the team first. Hagelin-Boyle-Prust sounds like a sexy fourth line to me.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Zucca

Kreider......

My heart made the call.

Zucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Vtank, because I want to keep him in NA progressing up and I want to give Kreider some time in the AHL first.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
D Pavel Valentenko
Pro: Big, tough, nasty defenseman. Already looks like he's almost NHL ready.
Anti: The Rangers have a logjam on defense. There's a high probability that MDZ will return to New York, and either Eminger or McCabe will be resigned, leaving no spots available.
This is the guy I want. I want opposing players to fear coming into our end because Valentenko might be on the ice. Throw Gilroy in the the East River. I'd take him over McCabe or Eminger, even though I consider Eminger a pleasant surprise.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Ola

None or Weise (of course)...

Kreider? Seriously? We are heading into next season with a hole on our right side? Who's going? Callahan? Gabby? MZA? Prust?

Grachev will get a chance next season too, but probably a tad later on. He got to prove himself in the AHL first. But could also make it out of camp.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
kovazub94

Interestingly, Grachev now has 2nd most votes behind Kreider to make it next year (just passed Hagelin and Valentenko) but you wouldn't guess it by reading comments. I voted for Grachev and not afraid to admit it.

Hagelin and Kreider (and any UFAs including Fedotenko) would be tough competition but I think he finally would be able to stick around in NHL even though it might be "part-time" as he might be alternating staying in line-up / being a healthy scratch with another LW.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Ola

Look, Hagelin is playing well in college. He is a very good hockey player and he have a shot to make it to the NHL, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

What people need to remember is that Hagelin is 22 y/o, and will be 23 y/o by time camp starts, playing college hockey. A player like Derek Stepan is 20 y/o. And have developed tremendously every year the last 2 years. I am sure Hagelin is as good now at the age of 22 as Stepan was in college at the age of 18-19 -- but it does not say much.

Hagelin is the same age as Artem Anisimov. Even if he was a mediocre prospect, he should dominant against kids. I've not seen a lot of Hagelin lately, and should not comment to much about him. But I saw a lot of him at the age of 19-20, and he was not overly impressive. He is impressive now, but how will he be able to transform that to the AHL?

Hagelin could make it, but the odds are against him. What he is doing in college at the age of 22 y/o in itself is not all that impressive. He is as old as Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews, Phil Kessel and co. Many of those guys have 350 NHL games under their belt. I like the kid, but do not have too high hopes on him. Callahan made it out of the same situation. But many many players like that fade away.

Old
03-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Ola

Things needs to be shaken up in camp in order for anyone to make it out of camp. Our top 3 line wing spots will be crowded.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Interestingly, Grachev now has 2nd most votes behind Kreider to make it next year (just passed Hagelin and Valentenko) but you wouldn't guess it by reading comments. I voted for Grachev and not afraid to admit it.

Hagelin and Kreider (and any UFAs including Fedotenko) would be tough competition but I think he finally would be able to stick around in NHL even though it might be "part-time" as he might be alternating staying in line-up / being a healthy scratch with another LW.
grachev has no chance.

i like the big lug- heck i like all russians right ?

but really, hes got no chance.

he hasnt shown a lick of hockey sense- and he didnt have much when he was drafted either and he hasnt even been the best forward on the whale so what warrants his making it next year ?

the odds he comes into camp and all of a sudden "gets it" is unlikely. i hope im wrong, i want more russians on the rangers but my head tells me that he just doesnt feel the flow of the game and thus, hell be unproductive playing in the nhl until he starts to "get it".

hope im wrong though.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
grachev has no chance.

he hasnt shown a lick of hockey sense- and he didnt have much when he was drafted either and he hasnt even been the best forward on the whale so what warrants his making it next year ?

the odds he comes into camp and all of a sudden "gets it" is unlikely. i hope im wrong, i want more russians on the rangers but my head tells me that he just doesnt feel the flow of the game and thus, hell be unproductive playing in the nhl until he starts to "get it".

hope im wrong though.
Not trying to get into an argument over it but he will most likely finish the AHL season with about as many points as Dubinsky had in his season in the AHL at the same age. Dubinsky never dominated the AHL. He put up 43 points in his only season there, which was respectable but in his call-ups he looked WAY over-matched. I would say more-so than Grachev has.

I wouldn't rule him out at all. And his hockey sense is no where near as bad as you are making it out to be. Is he still learning? Yes. But he has been improving quite a bit and it is very hard for such a big guy to get "lost" on the ice in order to get open for a shot.

If he continues his pace and ends up with about 38-42 points I would almost make him a favorite for a spot in the NHL next season. His physical gifts are too much to overlook and his skills, like Kreider, allow him to play better with better players and compliment them well.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
grachev has no chance.

hope im wrong though.
Well, I kinda disagree - first, there is going to be a LW opening for competition and that competition is smaller and even less experienced, second, he was not completely out of place when he was called up earlier - at least he was using his size effectively on the boards and third, he finally started to come around in Hartford since December which is already 3+ months so it's not just a hot streak that should fade away.

I truly believe that it does take big bodies longer to "get it" what it takes to succeed in professional hockey. So my thinking is that Grachev left junior hockey timely, otherwise he would've struggled now in the same was as he did a year ago.

It would be too early now for the organization to give up on Grachev.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
nyrtrublue

is mc d still gonna be considered a rookie next year?

nyrtrublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrtrublue View Post
is mc d still gonna be considered a rookie next year?
No. He has played too many games.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
grachev has no chance.

hope im wrong though.
I remember watching his first appearance. It may have been in an exhibition game. I only had one thought. It looked like the Rangers picked a fan at random out of the stands and put him on the ice as a promotional gimmick.

Just curious. Why do you want more russians on the Rangers? Are you russian?

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I remember watching his first appearance. It may have been in an exhibition game. I only had one thought. It looked like the Rangers picked a fan at random out of the stands and put him on the ice as a promotional gimmick.

Just curious. Why do you want more russians on the Rangers? Are you russian?
?????

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Not trying to get into an argument over it but he will most likely finish the AHL season with about as many points as Dubinsky had in his season in the AHL at the same age. Dubinsky never dominated the AHL. He put up 43 points in his only season there, which was respectable but in his call-ups he looked WAY over-matched. I would say more-so than Grachev has.

I wouldn't rule him out at all. And his hockey sense is no where near as bad as you are making it out to be. Is he still learning? Yes. But he has been improving quite a bit and it is very hard for such a big guy to get "lost" on the ice in order to get open for a shot.

If he continues his pace and ends up with about 38-42 points I would almost make him a favorite for a spot in the NHL next season. His physical gifts are too much to overlook and his skills, like Kreider, allow him to play better with better players and compliment them well.
Good points. Dominating the AHL is not as necessary as learning one's trade. Look at Vinnie Prospal's first two years in the AHL and tell me that sounds like a star in the making.

But I suspect Grachev will end up being part of a 2-1, 3-1 trade at some point.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
No. He has played too many games.
yea should be interesting to see the hockeysfuture website list since so many guys will "graduate"

Zuccarello,Mcdonaugh coming off the list below

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/new_york_rangers

I agree one of Hagelin, Kreider and even Grachev have a shot at earning a spoit next yr

Everyone bashes Grachev but this is his best yr in the AHL. I have some hope he will be a late bloomer. Hagelin I view as a 3rd line 2 way player. Hagelin, Stepan, Zuccarello? May be nice for next yr

If they sign Brad Richards I vote going cheap on D. 3rd pairing DZ and Vtank.........bring in a vet on a cheap 500K deal to be the 7th or sign some vets to two way deals just for competition.

Kreider has the best shot at being a top goal scorer

Last edited by Vitto79: 03-13-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Everyone bashes Grachev but this is his best yr in the AHL. I have some hope he will be a late bloomer.r
Late bloomer? To me, late bloomers don't crack the NHL lineup regularly until 25 or later. That's 4 years from now. He's grown as a player in his 2 years in Hartford. I think he'll grow again next year and we'll see him hold down a spot in the NHL as a 22 1/2 year old.

I voted for Weise. Someone is going have to really outplay someone on the roster this year for a spot in the lineup above the 4th line. I do think it's just as likely that we'll see a defenseman up, but I don't know if it will by Vtank or Kundratek or a dark horse like McIlrath.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote