HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who's ready for a Mark Messier takeover?

View Poll Results: Mark Messier behind the bench
Time for the Captain to lead us to glory!!! 18 15.65%
Great Captain, not coach. 97 84.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-14-2011, 12:17 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

vCash: 500
Who's ready for a Mark Messier takeover?

Here's this guy who called 'The Captain'.
He's earned that nickname by being a well known leader.
A man who grabbed a bunch of his old buddies, guided a few young faces, got to the nitty gritty, came in, kicked ass, and did what he had to do to win on the biggest stage. Ending a life time of misery. In style.

I'm not knocking John Tortorella, but Mark Messier is one in a few billion that could bring it all together and would do what it takes to be the center of the legendary spotlight once again.

Is there anything that says he wouldn't make a killer coach/GM? (Lamoriello did it)

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:25 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'll take him as a GM over coach, a much more pressing need for us.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:26 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I can't think of many things I'd be less interested in than seeing Mark Messier at the helm of the team, either on the bench, or in the front office. Disaster waiting to happen.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Stepanformayor*

Sting this might be hard for you to believe, but i agree with you 100%. Messier would mess this up big time. Torts and Slats have done a great job with this very young team. The fact that this team is even in the hunt is amazing. Torts has been great all year. If this team gets to the playoffs watch out. They have all bought what Torts is selling, and that is defense first. You win the cup with solid d-men and goaltending and we have seen over the last 20 games that we have both of them.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Sting this might be hard for you to believe, but i agree with you 100%. Messier would mess this up big time. Torts and Slats have done a great job with this very young team. The fact that this team is even in the hunt is amazing. Torts has been great all year. If this team gets to the playoffs watch out. They have all bought what Torts is selling, and that is defense first. You win the cup with solid d-men and goaltending and we have seen over the last 20 games that we have both of them.
Well, I also can't think of any words that describe this team worse than great. There isn't much that's great here, especially as far as Sather is concerned. Sather has done a horrible job, and I yearn for the day he is no longer poisoning this club with his clear disregard for the obvious change that the game and the league have undergone. In today's NHL, you win the game with great centers and a very strong offense. The Rangers don't have either.

Sather is inept, that much is clear, but that doesn't mean that I want him replaced by Mark Messier. Not every great player is cut out to be a great coach or GM.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

He's shown me nothing as far as being a coach at this level. We'd be giving him the position based on being a great player, and that is almost always a disaster (see Wayne Gretzky in Phoenix).

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:15 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I would like to see him as assistant GM for at least 3 years first. Too much on the line to let Mark "learn on the job" as a fulltime GM.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:04 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Well, I also can't think of any words that describe this team worse than great. There isn't much that's great here, especially as far as Sather is concerned. Sather has done a horrible job, and I yearn for the day he is no longer poisoning this club with his clear disregard for the obvious change that the game and the league have undergone. In today's NHL, you win the game with great centers and a very strong offense. The Rangers don't have either.

Sather is inept, that much is clear, but that doesn't mean that I want him replaced by Mark Messier. Not every great player is cut out to be a great coach or GM.
Sather is horrible but there is plenty that is great. "In today's game" gets thrown around a lot which is funny to me seeing as how today's game is only around what 6 years? I don't know why people insist that all the answers have been found in just 6 years. Especially when there have been a few teams here and there with legitamate shots at winning that did not meet that very narrow criteria. He did not poison this franchise this past year. It does remain to be seen whether this is b/c he's stopped doing that or whether it was b/c he couldn't due to cap restraints + Torts harping on keeping the kids.

Far as Mess I haven't seen anything to indicate he can lead this club anywhere as a coach or GM. Torts has done at the very least a good job this year as indicated by the improvement of every player not named Del Zotto. If he is at the helm for a similar improvement next year the overall team will be good enough to start competing consistently at a high level with or without a top notch center. Still this team can afford to have a not so great improvement next year or even a worse performance as long as they uniformly get better the year after...a lower draft pick from a poor year would possibly boost this team tremendously though it's not needed. This team is closer than it is far

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 03-14-2011 at 03:11 AM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Provolone*

I remember a segment of him coaching this team about faceoffs at the beginning of the season.

Pass.

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'm ready to purge this organization from all ties to the 1980s Oilers.

03-14-2011, 06:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Sather is horrible but there is plenty that is great. "In today's game" gets thrown around a lot which is funny to me seeing as how today's game is only around what 6 years? I don't know why people insist that all the answers have been found in just 6 years. Especially when there have been a few teams here and there with legitamate shots at winning that did not meet that very narrow criteria. He did not poison this franchise this past year. It does remain to be seen whether this is b/c he's stopped doing that or whether it was b/c he couldn't due to cap restraints + Torts harping on keeping the kids.

Far as Mess I haven't seen anything to indicate he can lead this club anywhere as a coach or GM. Torts has done at the very least a good job this year as indicated by the improvement of every player not named Del Zotto. If he is at the helm for a similar improvement next year the overall team will be good enough to start competing consistently at a high level with or without a top notch center. Still this team can afford to have a not so great improvement next year or even a worse performance as long as they uniformly get better the year after...a lower draft pick from a poor year would possibly boost this team tremendously though it's not needed. This team is closer than it is far
This team is closer than it is far from what?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:43 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This team is closer than it is far from what?
Dagoon's bar whaddya think? lol. C'mon man you gotta know I'm talking about. Winning the cup within the next 5 years. They are closer than they are far imo. That doesn't say much but if you want me to put a number to it I'd say 70%. That 30 is a significant number though. It's arbitrary in my head either they all have to keep improving with some boost provided by some current prospects and/or pick up a healthy BR or something. Not here to start another back n forth about youth vs fail just saying if you asked me whether they were closer to winning the cup than they are far away from winning it i'd say closer. Everyone has their own opinion of course

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:54 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Here's this guy who called 'The Captain'.
He's earned that nickname by being a well known leader.
A man who grabbed a bunch of his old buddies, guided a few young faces, got to the nitty gritty, came in, kicked ass, and did what he had to do to win on the biggest stage. Ending a life time of misery. In style.

I'm not knocking John Tortorella, but Mark Messier is one in a few billion that could bring it all together and would do what it takes to be the center of the legendary spotlight once again.

Is there anything that says he wouldn't make a killer coach/GM?
(Lamoriello did it)
He's 1 in a billion based on what? Him being a great ranger. He's done nothin over his career around hockey to prove he'd be a great coach/gm. I'm fine with him being a co-gm or whatever he is but as a coach I think that'd be disasterous- see Wayne Gretzky.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:55 AM
The Mouth

I would take Joby Messier over this GM right now.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Dagoon's bar whaddya think? lol. C'mon man you gotta know I'm talking about. Winning the cup within the next 5 years. They are closer than they are far imo. That doesn't say much but if you want me to put a number to it I'd say 70%. That 30 is a significant number though. It's arbitrary in my head either they all have to keep improving with some boost provided by some current prospects and/or pick up a healthy BR or something. Not here to start another back n forth about youth vs fail just saying if you asked me whether they were closer to winning the cup than they are far away from winning it i'd say closer. Everyone has their own opinion of course
I had to ask because there's a very real chance that this team will miss the playoffs for the second straight year. More teams make the playoffs than miss them. I dont see how that translates into a team primed to make a Cup run in the next five years.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:26 AM
HoosierDaddy

Noooooooooooooo

How long must we continue to pay the Edmonton Posse for 1994?

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:27 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Need another option titled:

Neither, great players rarely make good front office personell.

BIGTIME PASS.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:29 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm ready to purge this organization from all ties to the 1980s Oilers.
All but Gravy. He can stay!

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:10 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
we need a man running things who doesn't have the ego or stature of a messier or sather, but seeing as how dolan is that probably will not happen. we all know it's gonna be Isiah Thomas...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:36 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Behind the bench? Do you mean GM?

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Zucca

vCash: 987
Give him the GM position..... Canīt get much worse, so itīs worth a try.

Zucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:54 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Need another option titled:

Neither, great players rarely make good front office personell.

BIGTIME PASS.
Steve Yzerman? Joe Neiwendyk? Think those guys have done well so far.

Every situation is different. I'd say with his knowledge of the game and knowing what you need to win a cup, since he did it 5 times, that should help.

Can he be worse then Sather in free agency yet could he be better in trades?

It is also about the other people in place through the organization. Having Gordie Clark running the drafts, I think he would be fine with having good people in place, which I think we have outside of Sather. How else would we have some sort of a youth movement going without outside influence on Sather

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:11 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I have accepted that he will be the next GM

I also will not be surprised if chooses to surround himself with ex Oilers Rangers.

If Gretzky wants to coach the Rangers, he will have a shot.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:14 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I can't think of many things I'd be less interested in than seeing Mark Messier at the helm of the team, either on the bench, or in the front office. Disaster waiting to happen.
Agreed. I love the guy and what he did for the Rangers, no doubt. I just dont think hes the right guy for the job to be honest. I'd love to be proven wrong and i'd happily eat crow, but i doubt thats going to happen. Only thing thats making feel remotely ok about it is watching what Stevie Y has done in Tampa. (but he hasnt done anything yet really)

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:18 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Great players rarely turn into even decent coaches. The only pro sports athlete who was a dominant player and was a pretty good coach was Larry Bird. GM? Maybe he could be like Yzerman but who knows.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote