HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dan Girardi to EDM in off-season

Old
03-11-2011, 12:24 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
Petry would probably slot in at or around 11th on the Rangers D depth chart. Girardi is 2nd.

Omark is nice, but I feel like we've got our small European wing already.
There isn't a team in the NHL who can accurately claim that Petry would be 11th on the depth chart. You obviously are underestimating him. Which is fair enough, nobody gives him credit because apparently the Oilers haven't had a decent d-man prospect since...Coffey? Lol.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
In an earlier thread, BPD made a proposal which he admitted:
The trade needs tweaking, but this is the heart of it:

Rangers get Magnus Paajarvi
Oilers get Brandon Dubinsky

Instead of Dubi, precious to our F situation, can we offer Girardi + X for MP?

NYR + EO fans, please advise what you think is X, and is it fair value or an adequate level of overpayment to make deal happen?

Don't believe a massive overpayment is needed.
But slight extra compensation may be ok, depending upon what, to make deal happen..
I'd do Girardi + Horak or Hagelin for MPS + 3rd in 2012.

Dubi isn't on the trading block.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's kind of how I feel about most anything the Oilers have anyway.
Cool, I'm perfectly happy with our current core and with what we'll add at the draft.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I think we should wait on selling the farm. Girardi is great, but it will cost too much to get him, he's that important to the Rangers. I say draft Larsson, and be patient with our young guys. If we draft Larsson, our defense for next year is much better than this year.

Whitney-Gilbert
Larsson-Peckham
Smid-Petry
Foster

Of course, Larsson becomes a top pair guy probably part way through next year, and we are set for awhile. Especially if we can manage to move Gilbert when Marincin is ready to step up in 2 or 3 years.
I get where you are coming from, but my view on it is that Girardi is a very capable defenseman already. I have faith in Larsson's ability to become one, but there's always that chance that he doesn't.
I'm a fan of Girardi's safe game and think he would compliment us well. I'd be open to thinking about trading a couple prospects because at this point we have a whole lot. Pitlick and Hamilton are out of the question because that's too much leaving. We need centers. But at the same time, we can draft a strong center at this draft.

I guess what I am saying is I want Girardi on the Oilers, but at the same time I don't know if he is worth the price. I'd be tempted to try and negotiate a lot if I were Tambellini. Doesn't mean I would pull a trigger.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
I get where you are coming from, but my view on it is that Girardi is a very capable defenseman already. I have faith in Larsson's ability to become one, but there's always that chance that he doesn't.
I'm a fan of Girardi's safe game and think he would compliment us well. I'd be open to thinking about trading a couple prospects because at this point we have a whole lot. Pitlick and Hamilton are out of the question because that's too much leaving. We need centers. But at the same time, we can draft a strong center at this draft.

I guess what I am saying is I want Girardi on the Oilers, but at the same time I don't know if he is worth the price. I'd be tempted to try and negotiate a lot if I were Tambellini. Doesn't mean I would pull a trigger.
I also want Girardi on the Oil, but I'm pretty sure that Slats wants him on the Rags. Unfortunately, it would take a payment that I'm not prepared to make in order to get him.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
I also want Girardi on the Oil, but I'm pretty sure that Slats wants him on the Rags. Unfortunately, it would take a payment that I'm not prepared to make in order to get him.
I get ya.
I didn't think that Girardi was as important to the Rangers as he is.
Oh well, such is life.

Old
03-11-2011, 11:53 PM
BPD

Quote:
There isn't a team in the NHL who can accurately claim that Petry would be 11th on the depth chart. You obviously are underestimating him. Which is fair enough, nobody gives him credit because apparently the Oilers haven't had a decent d-man prospect since...Coffey? Lol.
It's also really hard to assess his development because he's been in college for so long and frankly, NY doesn't get many Oilers games. Given the Rangers recent spate of college prospects, I wouldn't mind flyering on Petry, but we're certainly not looking to swap Girardi for the guy. Petry+Pitlick might get the juices flowing a bit, but then I believe we're getting into no-go territory for the Oil(?)

Realistically, Petry probably plays 2nd pair for us on the Whale - slots him in at or around 9th.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:04 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
It's also really hard to assess his development because he's been in college for so long and frankly, NY doesn't get many Oilers games. Given the Rangers recent spate of college prospects, I wouldn't mind flyering on Petry, but we're certainly not looking to swap Girardi for the guy. Petry+Pitlick might get the juices flowing a bit, but then I believe we're getting into no-go territory for the Oil(?)

Realistically, Petry probably plays 2nd pair for us on the Whale - slots him in at or around 9th.
The simple don't need a defensive prospect in return. In Hartford they have Kundratek, MDZ, and Valentenko. That still doesn't include McIlrath as a longer term prospect. As well as possibles of Pashnin and the capable but long shot Baranka. Both Pashnin and Baranka have the skill but only KHL factor makes them question marks. Pashnin was drafted in the first round of the KHL draft and impressed early at camp before he went back over seas.

The Rangers are thin on top6 talent and if Girardi goes, that's what has to come back and nothing else. The Rangers don't have to trade him.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
I get ya.
Oh well, such is life.
Check the stats, minutes, shots blocked in the nhl, hits in the nhl, etc. some one like that is damn solid defender and important to any team. You're going to have to pay for a guy like that.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Check the stats, minutes, shots blocked in the nhl, hits in the nhl, etc. some one like that is damn solid defender and important to any team. You're going to have to pay for a guy like that.
Absolutely, I just figured he was more available due to the amount of up and coming defenders.
God help the eastern conference when Gaborik gets more aid. You guys score 3 goals a game in 2 years and you've basically already won.

Old
03-12-2011, 03:12 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Absolutely, I just figured he was more available due to the amount of up and coming defenders.
God help the eastern conference when Gaborik gets more aid. You guys score 3 goals a game in 2 years and you've basically already won.
There isn't much in the up and coming defender department.

McDonagh and Sauer have come up and been solid as a 2nd pairing, but the rest of the D depth is in 5th/6th/7th Dmen.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:45 PM
bernmeister

Quote:

The deal looks like it's fair value both sides...
Oiler fans? More Ranger fans?

Agreed on Dubi.
That's why the odd men out are Girardi, and maybe, in another deal Boyle.

Is MPS our answer regardless of Gaborik situation?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 03:48 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
I get ya.
Oh well, such is life.
Girardi is valued, not unmoveable.
But even if NYR need to add, premium F help [or top pick] has to come this way

Old
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
There isn't much in the up and coming defender department.

McDonagh and Sauer have come up and been solid as a 2nd pairing, but the rest of the D depth is in 5th/6th/7th Dmen.
Eh?

Del Zotto, Staal, McDonagh, Sauer, McIlrath will be a very good defense in 4-5 years.

And you're selling McDonagh way too short. He has a ton of potential. He's pretty much a 2nd pairing defenseman already.

03-12-2011, 03:56 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
The simple don't need a defensive prospect in return. In Hartford they have Kundratek, MDZ, and Valentenko. That still doesn't include McIlrath as a longer term prospect. As well as possibles of Pashnin and the capable but long shot Baranka. Both Pashnin and Baranka have the skill but only KHL factor makes them question marks. Pashnin was drafted in the first round of the KHL draft and impressed early at camp before he went back over seas.

The Rangers are thin on top6 talent and if Girardi goes, that's what has to come back and nothing else. The Rangers don't have to trade him.
Basically this^, except if we could make some headway on a total package F, w/size, speed and shot, we shouldn't think twice about moving DG.

Pashnin has skill to play here now. Aspects beyond skill need be proven. Get impression he took more $$$ + international game vs. AHL opportunity. More likely to be available now esp. w/Rozi gone.

kundratek has 2 ish value, and if he shows he is a real player could be worth more.

Baranka is a beast. He would no doubt clear the crease. Issue in his game is speed/skating. He should be given every chance now to make the club as a 6ht/7th stay at home clear the crease type playing with a speedy partner, MDZ or Gilroy. (He's also good in a fight.)

Same with the other guy I'm looking to get a shot IN THAT LIMITED ROLE. Tysen Dowzak.

Slats, Torts, if you're reading this, don't let that go to waste.

Old
03-12-2011, 05:59 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

Rangers have no incentive or desire to trade Girardi. He is our #2 guy. He plays very well for us. On the Oilers, he'd be filling a similar role. He'd look very good next to Whitney.

MPS does provide incentive. I would consider a Girardi for MPS trade, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right trade to make at this time.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:57 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Rangers have no incentive or desire to trade Girardi. He is our #2 guy. He plays very well for us. On the Oilers, he'd be filling a similar role. He'd look very good next to Whitney.

MPS does provide incentive. I would consider a Girardi for MPS trade, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right trade to make at this time
Bold: agree.
IMO, Girardi is a valued resource that shouldn't be squandered. If however, he can be deployed and repurposed to help us with our abysmal scoring, he's expendable in the right deal.

The dialogue I suggest has 2 basic questions: what are good enough deals to merit consideration, and of those which is the right deal?

Thanks for the input/feedback.
What specific Girardi + X for MPS + Y would you suggest to make it right deal at this time, assuming you think that can be the case at all?
What would be fair?
What would be necessary to get the deal done?

Also, not to digress too much from the OP about Girardi to EO,
what other trade options do you have in mind?

Old
03-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Puckgenius*

Girardi is untouchable. Only way rangers deal him is for a #1 centre and mcdonaugh makes him expendable.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:06 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Girardi is untouchable. Only way rangers deal him is for a #1 centre and mcdonaugh makes him expendable.
bold: I'm saying that is substantially the case already. While McD already brings a more physical game, he's not now what DG is now, overall. However, there's enough progress made over the last year that McD is on the varsity, not going back down, and progressing fast enough that DG can go...

What # 1 C did you have in mind?

Last edited by bernmeister: 03-13-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old
03-13-2011, 04:31 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
The deal looks like it's fair value both sides...
Oiler fans? More Ranger fans?

Agreed on Dubi.
That's why the odd men out are Girardi, and maybe, in another deal Boyle.

Is MPS our answer regardless of Gaborik situation?
I wouldn't touch that as an Oiler fan. We're not trading MPS unless a superstar is coming back the other way, which Girardi is not.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:33 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
That should happen soon enough. Sauer will do that as well.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
That should happen soon enough. Sauer will do that as well.
Concur with ^, provided the return is right...

Old
03-14-2011, 11:54 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Eh?

Del Zotto, Staal, McDonagh, Sauer, McIlrath will be a very good defense in 4-5 years.

And you're selling McDonagh way too short. He has a ton of potential. He's pretty much a 2nd pairing defenseman already.
I meant in terms of how close/ready they are to play in the NHL.

Right now we have: Staal-Girardi-McDonagh-Sauer-Eminger-McCabe-Gilroy

Del Zotto will be right back up soon enough once he gets his confidence back to where it was. But then that's about it in terms of prospects who are very close. We have Valentenko and Kundratek waiting, but I see them as bottom pairing guys, not players who could push McDonagh and Sauer up, and Girardi out. They may become 2nd pairing defensemen, but I don't see that as an immediate thing. McIlrath is not quite ready yet either, he may need another season or two playing in either the WHL or AHL when he's old enough.

Trading Girardi now would be a mistake, maybe in a year or two that changes, and I pretty sure it will. But right now is not the time.

I'm not selling McDonagh short either, I just said he's been doing great in the 2nd pairing, he can and will become a 1st pairing Dman someday.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote