HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal to Nashville

Old
03-13-2011, 10:54 AM
wej20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Fuss View Post
Hillarious. Pittsburgh has a formidable bottom six and arguably the best defensive core in the league when healthy. They can afford one pure finisher and one can imagine how a guy like Kessel would be on Crosby's line. But that's another topic.

Still don't think Pittsburgh should trade Staal, or Nashville should give up this much. But sooner or later, a team will overpay for Staal and I hope my team is not it.
Kessel doesn't fit Bylsma's system as well as a guy like Hornqvist who would also be great fit on the PP. On the Pens I'd rather have Hornqvist, sure Kessel might score 40 goals but Hornqvist has scored 30. For the Leafs and a lot of other teams Kessel is obviously a better fit.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:21 PM
patches67

Staal has more upside than Fisher, and big men like Staal don't usually reach their full potential until they're 24-26, so it's hard to say what id full upside would be. Do I think he could be a #1 C? Absolutely, but on the right team of course. Sure he'll never take over for a Crosby, Stamkos, Backstrom or Kopitar, but he's an upgrade on the Leafs, hell, he's an upgrade for my Habs at center. i would love a guy with his size and abilities.

As Nashville I do this trade (although I like Watson a lot) but as Pittsburgh, I don't move Staal.

patches67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I wouldn't do Staal straight up for Hornqvist. So big no from OP.

I'm not saying Hornqvist is better than Staal, but Staal would be redundant in Nashville, while Hornqvist would leave a very big hole.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 09:38 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Hornqvist is a better fit for the Pens than Kessel, considering price, style, and attitude. Let's not make this thread about the Leafs.

The Pens also have two players who have emerged in the last year as capable 3rd line centers: Jeffrey and Letestu.
In my opinion Kessel is a better fit for the Penguins than Hornqvist because he's simply a much better player. The majority of concerns with him are pure BS. He plays hard, contributes assists as well as goals, and is good for 30+ even on the Leafs who don't have a pure playmaker. I don't understand the hate people have for him at all. His upside with Crosby or Malkin would be over 40 goals and at least 30 assists. He would also be the only winger besides Hossa we've ever had who could actually skate with Crosby.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Rakunitz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
In my opinion Kessel is a better fit for the Penguins than Hornqvist because he's simply a much better player. The majority of concerns with him are pure BS. He plays hard, contributes assists as well as goals, and is good for 30+ even on the Leafs who don't have a pure playmaker. I don't understand the hate people have for him at all. His upside with Crosby or Malkin would be over 40 goals and at least 30 assists. He would also be the only winger besides Hossa we've ever had who could actually skate with Crosby.
Yeah, but would you rather Kessel @ $5.4 million, or Staal at $4? I'd take Staal any day of the week. That 1.4 million goes a long way

As far as the proposal, its the best Staal related proposal I've seen

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:36 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I wouldn't do Staal straight up for Hornqvist. So big no from OP.

I'm not saying Hornqvist is better than Staal, but Staal would be redundant in Nashville, while Hornqvist would leave a very big hole.
IIRC OP said he made this proposal forgetting about the Fisher trade.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Disagree. His work ethic and ability to contribute within a team concept are very much in doubt. He's a player who often plays in a bubble.

That's to say nothing of the difference in salary between Hornqvist and Kessel, and consistent willingness to score from the dirty areas rather than the perimeter.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 03-14-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
He's not a 1st line C, nor do I think he'll ever be one. He's never produced numbers offensively in any league, whether junior or up here.

What you have with Staal is a very capable two-way C that any team would love to have, but if I'm Nashville, I don't trade Hornqvist for Staal.
I think Staal will be a 30-30 kind of guy if he's surrounded by better talent and asked to play an offensive role rather than shutdown. Some players break out later on in their career, I think that will be Staal. The guys 22 years old now, he still has a ton of time to improve.

Now, I'm not sure if you'd consider a 30-30 defensively responsible centerman a legit #1, but certainly he's a useful piece that could supplement that position in a team like Nashville. Personally, I think Staal would fit beautifully into that system.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I think Staal will be a 30-30 kind of guy if he's surrounded by better talent and asked to play an offensive role rather than shutdown. Some players break out later on in their career, I think that will be Staal. The guys 22 years old now, he still has a ton of time to improve.

Now, I'm not sure if you'd consider a 30-30 defensively responsible centerman a legit #1, but certainly he's a useful piece that could supplement that position in a team like Nashville. Personally, I think Staal would fit beautifully into that system.
That's your projection. Personally, I think he becomes a 20 to 25 goal scorer, and 20-25 assist guy.

I just dont think he has the skill to be a 30 goal scorer, and do that consistently.

03-14-2011, 09:16 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Staal is pretty redundant for Nashville...Fisher, Legwand and Lombardi are pretty similar players. Can't pass our leading goal scorer for another "two way" player.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
That's your projection. Personally, I think he becomes a 20 to 25 goal scorer, and 20-25 assist guy.

I just dont think he has the skill to be a 30 goal scorer, and do that consistently.
I am one of the least religious Staal-fans on the Pens forum.
However, I do think it is somewhat odd to suggest that Staal, at 22 years of age, will become what he has been for the past two years, and pointswise what he has been three out of four seasons as an NHL'er since he was 18.

Even this season, coming back from injury at the half way point and quickly playing with no Sid and Malkin in the line-up and a torrent of other injuries having hit the Pens, he has 20 points in 31 games, which by my calculations puts him on a 53 point pace for the season. This is a period of time where the Pens have scored what... 2.4 goals per game or something.

Staal's offense is raw as a camels ass and he is still performing at the high end of what you argue to be his likely career ceiling. At 22. You know that isn't reasonable.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:21 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I am one of the least religious Staal-fans on the Pens forum.
However, I do think it is somewhat odd to suggest that Staal, at 22 years of age, will become what he has been for the past two years, and pointswise what he has been three out of four seasons as an NHL'er since he was 18.

Even this season, coming back from injury at the half way point and quickly playing with no Sid and Malkin in the line-up and a torrent of other injuries having hit the Pens, he has 20 points in 31 games, which by my calculations puts him on a 53 point pace for the season. This is a period of time where the Pens have scored what... 2.4 goals per game or something.

Staal's offense is raw as a camels ass and he is still performing at the high end of what you argue to be his likely career ceiling. At 22. You know that isn't reasonable.
I'm concerned, how do you know about that?

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:43 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Disagree. His work ethic and ability to contribute within a team concept are very much in doubt. He's a player who often plays in a bubble.

That's to say nothing of the difference in salary between Hornqvist and Kessel, and consistent willingness to score from the dirty areas rather than the perimeter.
Because of his style I can see why people say those things about him. I don't see him a ton but every time I see him putting up points in the highlights I don't see any of it. I think the salary difference is a wash because I think it reflects the talent levels of both players. Kessel could score 20-30 more points and 10-15 more goals on the Penguins than Hornqvist would. To say Hornqvist is a better fit is just really over thinking it in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post
Yeah, but would you rather Kessel @ $5.4 million, or Staal at $4? I'd take Staal any day of the week. That 1.4 million goes a long way

As far as the proposal, its the best Staal related proposal I've seen
Depends on what you want for your team I guess. I really don't think Staal and Kessel are comparable players.

Last edited by wej20: 03-14-2011 at 10:49 AM.
UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:20 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Pittsburgh fans a year ago wouldn't trade Staal for Kessel, and a package built around Hornqvist as the main piece coming back is more attractive?

Not saying I'd do Kessel for Staal as a Leafs fan. I won't do it in a million years, but its funny how Staal's value is slowly deteriorating, even in the eyes of Pens fans.

If I'm Pittsburgh though, I won't give him up and let him be a staple on their 3rd line. The formula of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal has worked for them in the past, and they should stick with it.
Ummm.... Hornqvist > Kessel.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote