HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any news on Parse?

Old
03-13-2011, 10:31 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
DL is in an excellent position this offseason as far as movable assets are concerned. A Mart playing as well as he has isn't completely out of the blue but due to his strong play he has earned himself a spot with the team or, is an interesting option to be part of a trade.

Davis is in a similar boat. I could easily see either one of these two moved which would make room for another kid to be given their shot at the team as a number seven. Another thing to consider is that we have desirable veteran D that could also be moved if the perfect package came along.

Though I doubt we would move any of them I would say that Scuds is the most likely deal among the three. The return would have to be significant but with the log jam we have at D something is likely to be done.

Any of our kids from A Mart down the line could be moved as well but, I see us as being a season away from actually doing anything to our current defencive line up for the Kings with the exception of moving Whiskie which I see as being likely.

Its up to who or what DL wants to target this offseason. We have an embarrassing amount of valuable assets to deal with should DL decide to do so.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
OldGreatWestern

I'm thinking next year we look like:

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Schenn - Brown
Parse - Stoll - Simmonds
Clifford - Lewis - Richardson

Loktionov, Westgarth

Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson -Scuderi
Martinez - Green

Voynov

Quick
Bernier

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Parse has done nothing but produce for the Kings with limited minutes. I don't understand your hatred for him.

I don't think anyone has ever called him an "offensive juggernaut", but Dean said he was in the top 3 in pure skill on the Kings (before Penner). He has a career 14.3% shooting percentage. He had 4 points in 5 games with the Kings this year (+5).
Even I can stand in front and have Kopitar bounce one in off my skate. Hell, I can even make a cross ice pass with no defenders through the neutral zone, then watch Brown and Kopitar do the rest. It's not hatred for Parse in particular, it's hatred for players LIKE him that get looked at like they can play in the league when they so obviously can't.

And I'm in disbelief at the thought in this thread that Parse can be more effective than Ryan Smyth. Stop acting like this guy is some sort of sniper..

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:37 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I'm wondering what Parse EVER did to get him the label as this "offensive juggernaut."
... I didn't give him that label, and I'm not saying that he is. But, I WILL say that you have to account for the fact that, per 60 minutes at even strength, Parse was incredibly efficient and productive. Parse didn't get any significant PP time last season, so even strength time is the best way to look at what he did for the team compared to his teammates. I put this together a while back, and I'll re-post it now:

Quote:
Parse doesn't fit on this team, much like Moulson didn't and if Parse ends up scoring 20+ goals every year then so be it. He never showed that talent here, so how can we expect him to do it elsewhere?
... Moulson got fewer than 30 games to show what he could do with the Kings. It's easy to say a guy doesn't "fit in" with a team when he doesn't get a chance to fit. Honestly, I can't even believe that at this stage people are STILL trying to spin this. It was just a huge mistake to let Moulson go without getting a good enough read on his ability. I'm not saying he'd score 30+ goals this season for the Kings, if they still had him. But, would the Kings have been so desperate for a LW all season long if he was here?

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Whiskeypete

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
And I'm in disbelief at the thought in this thread that Parse can be more effective than Ryan Smyth. Stop acting like this guy is some sort of sniper..
Have you watched him play recently?

For the last 20 games he has been about one step up from Westgarth.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

What's with the blind references WhiskeyPete?

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 03:49 PM
zeppelin97

Quote:
Even I can stand in front and have Kopitar bounce one in off my skate. Hell, I can even make a cross ice pass with no defenders through the neutral zone, then watch Brown and Kopitar do the rest. It's not hatred for Parse in particular, it's hatred for players LIKE him that get looked at like they can play in the league when they so obviously can't.

While Parses' play hasn't earned him high praise, it certainly does not deserve to be crapped all over.

It is a fact of reality you need to give young players time (some times 1-2 seasons) to better gauge how good they will be. Why are so many blind to this? I will not bother to list examples. Simiply open your damn eyes!

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:46 PM
damacles1156

What's crazy is some of you people thinking Dean or TM are going to cut down Smyth's shifts/Min. You need to just come to grips with he is staying for another year. And he will play heavy minutes.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
What's crazy is some of you people thinking Dean or TM are going to cut down Smyth's shifts/Min. You need to just come to grips with he is staying for another year. And he will play heavy minutes.
His minutes are down. He's off the PP too.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 04:58 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
His minutes are down. He's off the PP too.
I am talking about next season. He will get his Minutes/Shifts, get his Twenty goals everyone will love him for it. Then piss all over him again when he slows down second half.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
What's with the blind references WhiskeyPete?
the old saying of 'a blind squirrel will find an acorn from time to time". in reference to Parse skating on the top line.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
the old saying of 'a blind squirrel will find an acorn from time to time". in reference to Parse skating on the top line.
... Well with the acquisition of Penner, Parse certainly won't need to be placed on the top line - but I'm starting to see Herby's point of view, here. Smyth has been pretty awful, and I feel like his play is dragging down his line. I wouldn't have a problem with Parse-Stoll-Brown on the second line.

Regardless of where he plays, I definitely think Parse CAN play, and that he deserves to have a significant role when he's ready to go. I don't believe a man should lose his job on the team due to injury, and it would be inconsistent with Murray's philosophy as a coach if Parse did lose it.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
-Parse isn't going to make the line-up if he returns.
-Penner is locked on the #1
-Smyth is locked in at #2
-Clifford is locked at #3
-nothing is locked at #4, but Murray can flip flop at any moment and their he's got multiple choices already for the #4

-Parse's next shot will happen at training camp.
-he will also be competing against some of the MAN kids at that point
-he is a UFA after 2011/12. next season is his last chance to crack the LA line-up and show something. i honestly don't see DL re-signing him after if he doesn't show something next season, but it's a 50/50 coin flip. he would provide depth in the org for a very cheap price, but at the same time it's committing $$$ and a roster spot (someplace) to a guy that hasn't panned out. sometimes you just have to 'cut bait'
-of all LA's assets Parse has the highest likelihood of being the next Moulson, Purcell, etc. it sucks but every org has this happen to them

-Smyth is the player that will make keeping Parse around difficult. his NMC and last remaining year on a fat contract means he isn't going anyplace.
-i would love to see Smyth moved for a younger player
-at the same time i would like to see Smyth stay to mentor the guys moving up. i think the best thing for him would be a reduced role in GP next season, in anticipation of saving him for the playoffs. he has been completely ineffective the past month and personally i think he's wearing down physically.
-Smyth still has top 6 hands and mental ability, it's a matter of saving his legs so he can get down ice. down and in position for the late playoff push and in the playoffs when it matters

-Stoll isn't going anyplace either. part of his job next year, which will be his last also will be to help mentor Schenn and Lokti at C
-with Zus likely not being re-signed Jarrett's importance to the team is even greater. that leaves Kopi and stoll as the most veteran C's. Lewis is still a work in progress and getting better.
-Lewis imo has been doing a good to lately a very good job in the #4 slot. his game is steadily improving and he's doing whats asked. personally i like that his role has started to include some PK time out there. any reduction of Kopi's TOI esp during the PK will help in the long run

i think the only 'sure thing' at this point is Zus and harrold not being re-signed. Poni i could see returning, but at a reduced cost. his game has come around and i think he finally has found what Murray expects of him. he isn't scoring, but his physical play and huge body is something LA needs.

that leaves one C position and maybe one LW spot open next season. remember Murray is an advocate of the not 'losing your roster spot to an injury' school of thought.

position / player / line
C Kopi 1, C Stoll 2, C Schenn-Lokti 3, C Lewis 4
LW Penner 1, LW Smyth 2, LW Clifford 3, LW ? 4
RW Williams 1, RW Brown 2, RW Simmonds 3, RW(revolving door of players like this year) 4

the D pairings will be real interesting. AMart's unexpected rise and play has put DL into a position i'm guessing he didnt expect to be in. not just yet anyway. he has more D depth earlier in the process than planned. i would put money on it, but im guessing that internally they didn't foresee his development happening this fast. next year, but not this season.

Wiskie is under contract thru 2012/13 (UFA after). there is concern that Voynov will bolt back to RUS if he isn't brought to LA. Muzzin cracked the line up this past season. Hickey is still a wild card in the mix. personally i wouldnt be surprised to see DL move Wiskie at the draft for a pick or prospect. he needs to make room for Voynov in LA. if Voynov isn't brought to LA then it's possible DL also trades him, rather than lose him to RUS.

with all those questions here is another scenario. one i hadn't contemplated but now that i think of it makes sense. AMart is a RFA this summer. he will have ~50 to 60 GP at the conclusion of the season. Could/would DL move AMart at the draft? a young, smart, PMD, very affordable ($662K this season), 1 year of NHL experience that shows very good promise. if DL moved Wiskie and AMart at the draft it gives him two slots to move up Voynov and one other to LA to get mentored. yes it would make the LA roster in terms of NHL exp weaker, but perhaps maybe not necessarily worse.
I think Poni has locked up #3. Alot of Smyth hatters. He still has 20 goals and 20 assists. He will play and play alot. Everyone has slumps, look at Kopi. Stoll and Smyth are just in theirs. They should be peaking in the playoff.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I think next year's lineup looks more like this:

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll/Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-XX

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Nose of Sutter

If he can come back before the playoffs id let him play and give Smyth a rest but if he can't until playoff time then id shut him down for the year

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I think next year's lineup looks more like this:

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll/Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-XX
That third line is way too young and inexperienced and risky to put on the ice as your checking line. I don't see that happening. I think it is more likely for the Kings to ice the following forwards (with no outside additions):

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Parse/Moller-Schenn/Loktionov-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Simmonds
Clifford-Lewis-Richardson/Westgarth

Given Parse's brief look in a scoring role, he was able to produce and I think he will be given another opportunity to win a spot in the top six. Moller will either be competing for a top six position or be used as a spare forward who will be inserted into the lineup due to injuries or depending on the matchup.

I think it will come down to Loktionov or Schenn to take the #2 center spot, and if Schenn still needs to develop, he can be the top guy in Manchester. Smyth is slowing down and Stoll has demonstrated he is a more reliable two-way center than a productive 2nd line center, so it would make sense to slide them down to a checking role. Smyth is going to have to reinvent himself in the same way Trevor Linden did when his career was winding down, and Simmonds with his tenacity is a natural fit on that line.

The trio of Clifford with Lewis and Richardson makes for a very dangerous energy line that has the grit, the speed and talent necessary from deep teams that roll four lines.

If Parse or Moller struggle to establish themselves as top six talent, I could see the Kings going outside of the organization to add a forward to fill that role. Next summer, Smyth and Stoll will be gone and I think they have the players to replace Stoll internally but may need to look elsewhere for a top scoring winger to replace Smyth.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote