HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bettman 5 step plan against concussions

Old
03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Alaix

vCash: 500
Bettman 5 step plan against concussions

As per BobMckenzie twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

Bettman outlines 5 step plan:

1. Brendan Shanahan working with NHLPA to expedite equipment modifications.

2. Revised concussion protocol. If player is suspected to have had one, must be removed from the bench for assessement in quiet
That assessment must be done by a medical doctor, not the team therapist, using standardized SCAT testing.

3. Fines and/or suspensions for clubs and coaches of players/teams that rack up high number of suspensions. No details yet.

4. Safety engineers to make sure all NHL arenas conform to safe standards and to come up with ideas to "soften" environment.

5. Special committee of Shanahan, R Blake, Yzerman, Niuewendyk to continue investigating this issue.

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:06 PM
neofury*

I thought it was pretty clear. Teams that get a repeat history of having players suspended for causing a concussion to an opposing teams players will be investigated as a result.

No more Cooke in other words.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

From what you wrote, it looks like a team that accumulates a high number of suspensions (Not concussions) will be fined.

It's a start, atleast the NHL realizes that there are problems and are now working to solve them.

I'm not a Bettman fan, but I'll give him credit for this.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Alaix

Oh I read too fast there, saw concussion instead of suspension!

Now that explains a lot, thanks!

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:09 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post

2. Revised concussion protocol. If player is suspected to have had one, must be removed from the bench for assessement in quiet
That assessment must be done by a medical doctor, not the team therapist, using standardized SCAT testing.

3. Fines and/or suspensions for clubs and coaches of players/teams that rack up high number of suspensions. No details yet.

4. Safety engineers to make sure all NHL arenas conform to safe standards and to come up with ideas to "soften" environment.

5. Special committee of Shanahan, R Blake, Yzerman, Niuewendyk to continue investigating this issue.

I absolutely can't understand point 3. A team suffering some too many concussions will be fined??? What's up with that...
3 is simple. To stop teams from gooning it up.
On the other hand, these 5 items still doesn't really 'stop' concussions...or lessens head shots. He really wants career ending, concussion laden NHL doesn't he? Well, alright, I'm sure he doesn't but it sure seems like it.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
neofury*

This is stupid in my opinion, especially right after the Chara incident, he might as well come out and admit he's done a **** job thus far and ignored fans and media for years regarding the issue.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:

FIXED!!

6. Remind players to be respectful of their opponent and that they don't have to attempt to injure them on every hit. Shoving players from behind, into the boards should never happen. Bear hug them and take them into the boards and hold them there to take them out of position, but don't charge at them and hit them from behind when they are vulnerable.

7. Start handing out severe suspensions for violent and unrespectful acts on the ice to deter players from continuing the questionable plays over and over again in an attempt to clean up the game.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:15 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
3 is simple. To stop teams from gooning it up.
On the other hand, these 5 items still doesn't really 'stop' concussions...or lessens head shots. He really wants career ending, concussion laden NHL doesn't he? Well, alright, I'm sure he doesn't but it sure seems like it.
But if you don't hand out suspension to players, because they never had a suspension before, because they weren't handed out suspension, because they never had a suspension before...

We are still back at Square Znedo Zero.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:

A good beginning...

Number 3 is interesting. It's telling that just about every story on excessive hockey violence lately uses photos of one team in particular.

http://tsn.ca/story/?id=357978

And it's nice to see they are going to start looking at the equipment the players are using today. Or should the term be weaponry, considering how lethal it is these days.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
This doesn't bother Boston as their players still don't get suspended.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
But if you don't hand out suspension to players, because they never had a suspension before, because they weren't handed out suspension, because they never had a suspension before...

We are still back at Square Znedo Zero.
Seems like a problem of what came first.

The Chara or the Egg.
(and he does look a little like a misbegotten ostrich )

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:24 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

step in the right direction

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I thought it was pretty clear. Teams that get a repeat history of having players suspended for causing a concussion to an opposing teams players will be investigated as a result.

Yes well since the NHL uses suspensions like Elaine her sponges in Seinfeld, I don't see this making much of a change. The one thing which needs to be done IMO is longer suspensions, no matter intent. But that'll never happen under Bettman.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Seems like a problem of what came first.

The Chara or the Egg.
(and he does look a little like a misbegotten ostrich )
charadactyl

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Roke

Well, I guess there's a step. A small step, but still.

What's missing is it doesn't really crack down on currently legal actions that cause concussions. Point #2 in the plan provides an even greater incentive for players to give the opposing team concussions what with the greater likelihood of actual diagnosis with the doctor being involved, not to mention the definitely missing a shift or two.

Better diagnosis is definitely needed, improved equipment and rink safety will help, but until the league actually gets concerned about the actions causing concussions there won't be any significant steps reducing the number of players receiving brain injuries.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Taylorzzz

But if your team causes concussions and gets no suspensions.......

Campbell needs to be removed from his current position for anything to happen in the right direction. So unless that topic comes up at the meetings it wont change anything.

GO HABS GO!

Taylorzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Habaddict

And am I correct in thinking that , these steps came out of
a general managers meeting, not from the league offices .
People accrediting them to Bettman is a little confusing.

Opps, on re-examination, I see these are recomendations
to the GMs.

Last edited by Habaddict: 03-14-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: misunderstood OP
Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This is stupid in my opinion, especially right after the Chara incident, he might as well come out and admit he's done a **** job thus far and ignored fans and media for years regarding the issue.
It's still better than nothing at all Neo. I'm willing to give the special committee of Shanahan, R Blake, Yzerman, Niuewendyk a shot before knocking this.

We wanted change after what happened to Patches, now let's see what happens.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:33 PM
RE-HABS

Is there anything really new there other than the fines and arenas to be looked at?

I think they need a player panel, management panel and an independant panel of none hockey people (medical/public figures/other leagues) to do research and strategy. Then have all 3 committees work together on combining their ideas for a safer game.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Is there anything really new there other than the fines and arenas to be looked at?

I think they need a player panel, management panel and an independant panel of none hockey people (medical/public figures/other leagues) to do research and strategy. Then have all 3 committees work together on combining their ideas for a safer game.
Agreed, but atleast they have taken the first step. If this is as far as they go, then I'll be pissed. Until then, I'm willing to see what they do next before trashing their efforts.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:

This is so dumb. Why wouldn't they continue down the road they are now (favouritism) and thus take into consideration when suspending a player how it will affect the team's suspension record? The NHL is afraid to discipline players, why would #3 make it less scary?

Huh?

5 step plan?? whaa? Like.. why 5 steps? why not 4 or 6? 10? Are they trying to sound smart? Like they have a handle on things?

The NHL has had enough time to come up with plans. How about some action? And I don't mean setting up committees that will discuss which action to take before taken said action. I mean taking action.

EDIT: Taking action = a FIRM, CLEAR, CONSISTENT (thus predictable) stance on head shots. One that does not consider your status in the league, if you have past infractions, or if equipment/arena layout was involved in the incident. Judge the ACT.

Last edited by Karl Pilkington: 03-14-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post
This is so dumb. Why wouldn't they continue down the road they are now (favouritism) and thus take into consideration when suspending a player how it will affect the team's suspension record? The NHL is afraid to discipline players, why would #3 make it less scary?

Huh?

5 step plan?? whaa? Like.. why 5 steps? why not 4 or 6? 10? Are they trying to sound smart? Like they have a handle on things?

The NHL has had enough time to come up with plans. How about some action? And I don't mean setting up committees that will discuss which action to take before taken said action. I mean taking action.
Well first you get the committee, then you get the actions. Seems easy enough to understand to me.

As for rule #3, sounds fishy to me too, so we'll see how that one goes.

Old
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Joe Cole

Bottom line, they are searching to lay the blame of the equipement, or anything else but the players personal responsibility.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Kriss E

I have the impression nothing will change from these rules.

#3, this will be a rule up for interpretation and coaches/owners will give their share of excuses, just like players do now after throwing big hits. Fines are not mandatory. Also, new players come and go, I have a feeling finding loopholes in that rule will be rather simple.

I fail to see how any of these rules will PREVENT more head shots.

Having a Doctor make you pass a mandatory test if symptoms of a concussion arise will not prevent a concussion from happening, it won't worsen the situation, but the player will still have suffered a concussion.

There's only one way to cut the headshots, severe suspensions handed out to any player involved in hits related to the head, no matter the result, no matter the intention. Any attempt to injure (such as trying to lay a hit but mistime it) will result in a suspension as well.

I believe anything other than this will only be sideways steps to where we are today.
I fail to see any recognition from the league that the PLAYERS should be held accountable for their actions.
Shanahan working with the NHLPA to fix equipment issues??..Make sure every rink is safer??..What the heck does this have to do with anything.
Players are hitting each other 44% more than they did in 2004 if I remember correctly. Equipment is not the reason why it's gone up so much. This is idiotic.
How does ''safety'' rinks prevent Cooke from taking Savard's head in an open ice hit?

What's that? Shanahan-Yzerman-Niewendyk-Blake will continue to discuss this?? Because thinking of solutions wasn't important enough to further discuss today? You need more time to see if someone's head will actually be taken off?

This league is such a joke.

Last edited by Kriss E: 03-14-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:

Except that Cooke was never suspended.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote