HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Hasek's return

Old
03-14-2011, 01:02 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 500
Wrong thread...

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I'd put Horton, Perreault, and Hasek up there
Somebody explain to me Tim Horton. He had a good career with Leafs but did little with Buffalo. He's not really a Hall of Famer.
His legacy is based on the fact he was loaded up drugs and alcohol and speeding down the QEW at close to 100 MPH when he died. It's complete BS. He was responsible for his own death. His number should not be retired. It's a joke. And the donuts suck too, unthawed crap that is never fresh.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Somebody explain to me Tim Horton. He had a good career with Leafs but did little with Buffalo. He's not really a Hall of Famer.
His legacy is based on the fact he was loaded up drugs and alcohol and speeding down the QEW at close to 100 MPH when he died. It's complete BS. He was responsible for his own death. His number should not be retired. It's a joke. And the donuts suck too, unthawed crap that is never fresh.
Not really a hall of famer? 7 time All-Star with 4 cup rings. In 1998 the Hockey News placed him #43 on the 100 greatest players of all time. In 2004 CBC ranked him the #59 greatest Canadian that ever lived (not hockey players). When Punch brought him to a new Sabres franchise he was the guy that everyone looked up to.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Not really a hall of famer? 7 time All-Star with 4 cup rings. In 1998 the Hockey News placed him #43 on the 100 greatest players of all time. In 2004 CBC ranked him the #59 greatest Canadian that ever lived (not hockey players). When Punch brought him to a new Sabres franchise he was the guy that everyone looked up to.
It's too easy to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame. But that's my opinion, so I won't argue on HOF. I believe his legacy has been built up by his death. There is no way he's the 43rd best player of all-time. Plus, you can't tell me his Sabres career was worth much. If he doesn't die, is his number retired in Buffalo?

Old
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I too think they have too many numbers retired. Honor players by putting their banner up? Sure. But to take some of these guys numbers out of circulation for limited numbers of good/great seasons seems like they are trying to hard to emulate truly storied franchises like the Canadians or Bruins. Bert's number, sure. Dom's number should be. After that... honored, not retired.

03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
It's too easy to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame. But that's my opinion, so I won't argue on HOF. I believe his legacy has been built up by his death. There is no way he's the 43rd best player of all-time. Plus, you can't tell me his Sabres career was worth much. If he doesn't die, is his number retired in Buffalo?
If he doesn't die, there's a better probability they win the Cup rather than losing to the Flyers the next year.

He was one of the best defensive defensemen of any era. That's why he's in the Hall....

Now... back on topic. Dom returning. His ego was massive, he left them in a trade on his terms that was both punitive to the Sabres and beneficial to the Wings. But he was the team for years and they didn't do nearly a thing to build around him. It's understandable why he was angry before he left. It's great to see, at least outwardly, the past greats being brought back into the fold. This is all part of what Pegula and Black stated from day one -- the little things.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:55 PM
zbubble

Quote:
If it's so easy to get into the HOF how come of all the Sabres players that have ever played, we only have one player who played the majority of his career with Buffalo in it?

Another honest question, were you watching hockey in the 50's and 60's when Tim played his best hockey?

Old
03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
If it's so easy to get into the HOF how come of all the Sabres players that have ever played, we only have one player who played the majority of his career with Buffalo in it?

Another honest question, were you watching hockey in the 50's and 60's when Tim played his best hockey?
I'm not going to argue HOF, as I said. I love how tough it is to get into basbeall HOF now.
I want to know what his Sabres years have to do with his number being retired? Are we going to retire Doug Gilmour's number at some point?
I'd retire Dale Hawerchuk's number in Buffalo before Horton.
And Hasek is a no brainer. He's #1 or #2 all-time Sabre. I guess we should wait until he officially retires.

Old
03-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I'm not going to argue HOF, as I said. I love how tough it is to get into basbeall HOF now.
I want to know what his Sabres years have to do with his number being retired? Are we going to retire Doug Gilmour's number at some point?
And Hasek is a no brainer. He's #1 or #2 all-time Sabre. I guess we should wait until he officially retires.
A good deal of why his number is officially in the rafters was that they didn't issue the number EVER again after Horton's death. The team and training staff did not issue it and would not/will not issue it. Placing it in the rafters was a formality after 28 years of what the team was already doing.

NOW.... please get back on topic. Thanks.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
zbubble

Quote:
It's an honor they gave to him out of respect because he died while he was on the team. He was driving back to Buffalo from a game they had in Toronto.

Edit: Sorry Chain, last post on Horton I swear.

Old
03-14-2011, 02:56 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Hasek's 39 should be retired ... eventually. Not this year, not next year. But if he is NOT going to play pro or semi-pro hockey again. Give it a year after he retires again, then retire his 39. For some the way he left still stings ... in a few years maybe that will go away to some degree. For the ones that say I WILL NEVER FORGIVE HIM!!! Get over it ...

As for the others hanging in the rafters ... what's done is done, the Sabres will not have a change of heart, they will always be there ... period.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:14 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Hasek's 39 should be retired ... eventually. Not this year, not next year. But if he is NOT going to play pro or semi-pro hockey again. Give it a year after he retires again, then retire his 39. For some the way he left still stings ... in a few years maybe that will go away to some degree. For the ones that say I WILL NEVER FORGIVE HIM!!! Get over it ...

As for the others hanging in the rafters ... what's done is done, the Sabres will not have a change of heart, they will always be there ... period.
I don't think anybody will unretire numbers.
Hasek's number will be retired.
Why do people hate him so much?
For me, it was the ending when he limited what the team could get from Detroit. Kozlov and 2nd rounder LOL. Sabres should have held their ground and said no. I blame the Sabres for caving.
Hasek does have a pretty good complaint about the Sabres abandoning him by not getting enough talent to surround him.

Old
03-14-2011, 05:46 PM
5 Minute Major

I was always under the impression that #2 and #11 are the only retired numbers. Yes, I know Martin, Robert, Gare and LaFontaine are up there but I didn't think their numbers were retired.

I guess you learn something new every day.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You obviously never watched Rammer play. That's about the only thing I can think of that would make you respond that way to the idea of honoring Rammer.
Have they ever let anyone wear his number since he left?

Kruschiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Doug Barrie 1971-1972
Larry Hillman 1972-1973
Larry Carriere 1974-1974
Lee Fogolin 1975-1979
John Van Boxmeer 1980-1980
Mike Ramsey 1981-1993
Craig Muni 1994-1996
Ed Ronan 1997-1997
Jason Woolley 1998-2003
Jeff Jillson 2004-2004
Andy Delmore 2004-2004
Toni Lydman 2006-2010

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:59 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Ramsey's # could be retired but it depends where you draw the line and also whether you are just counting Sabre years.
Ramsey was a model of consistency for sure, most of career in Buffalo.
Personally, my only retired numbers would be for Gilbert, Hasek and maybe Martin (and not just because he died).
I'm not sure who the third best Sabre of all-time is. Lot of candidates. Lafontaine is a no. He only had THREE good years in Buffalo, one being incredible. That's it. It's true. Danny Gare had some terrific years but not a very long career. Robert? Seven plus years, some very good.
There is an argument for Ramsey if we base it just on years in a Sabres uniform. Maybe Craig Ramsay too.
I like Andreychuk if we are talking just Sabre years. And Housley.

Old
03-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Rebuild

Apparently Grant Fuhr is coming too.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...Sabres+Edge%29

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:16 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
Apparently Grant Fuhr is coming too.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...Sabres+Edge%29
Can we trade him for an appearance by Andreychuck?

Old
03-14-2011, 10:12 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Can we trade him for an appearance by Andreychuck?
Or Andreychuk. That'd be cool too.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 10:13 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Came into the Hasek thread and we're talking about Tim Horton? Wut?

At least it's not Connolly lmao.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:35 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

delete

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:15 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
[self-deleted]

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 01:58 PM
zbubble

"-Dominik Hasek's jersey is not retired because he is still playing. According to my parents that is the reason, as of right now, why his jersey isn't retired but I am pretty sure they are planning on retiring it in the future."

http://jpegula.blogspot.com/

Old
03-21-2011, 02:09 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

So, I'll push the Hasek's Return thread one further.

Chain noted he's been playing in the KHL.

Depending when Hasek's season ends, if the Sabres are in the playoffs, would ANYONE here be receptive to a scheme where he is signed as a Sabres backup for the playoffs? Anyone think he still has the skills for a single game if needed (i.e., Enroth shaky if Miller goes down, Hasek get's the call?) We all know Dom's 99.99th percentile in competitiveness on the entire planet - at least he was - I assume he still is.

Would a signing for the playoffs be allowed without a transfer agreement? Do KHL contracts run 7/1 to 7/1, i.e., is he essentially still under contract if his KHL season is done?

Thoughts anyone?
Other than the obvious:
(1) I am crazy and/or
(2) I need to get back to work.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
1 and 2