HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do gloves actuality make a difference in performance?

Old
03-14-2011, 02:38 AM
r3cc0s

vCash: 500
Do gloves actuality make a difference in performance?

Just out of curiosity?

I personally have 2 pairs (but I'm a newb)... One is an older Easton SY50 (4roll) which has basically no plastic inserts but does have a very comfortable liner and palm. (Nylon glove)

The other is an older pair of Mission pro-stock from my buddy, but they're all synthetic leather and the palms are thin to the point where it feels palmless (it is nice)... but along with that, there are inserts everywhere and it does weigh more..

Funny tho.... the fit of both are simular, and I do like the 4 roll designs.

Now, outside of protection... generally do higher end gloves add more feel or benefit to most of you?

Why I ask, is there is a few good deals on Eagles and Warriors out right now, but I'm not sure whether that is a better investment or maybe just save up for better skates.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:47 AM
blueberrydanish

I dont think any piece of gear will make you perform better unless you are at the point of fine tuning everything you have and get that PERFECT glove for YOU individually.(unless you compare garbage gear to high end of course but even then...)

Current gloves I love because they are much more mobile around my wrists and just fit my hand perfectly where as the last ones the palm was wearing through, they were bulkier and gave a nice sore spot that sometimes would end up bleeding a little around the base of my thumb.

The best thing you can really do is find what gear fits you best and is best suited for your style, then once you find that nice piece invest in a higher end piece of the same style.

Eagles are definitely some of the nicer gloves to snag though.

For choosing between skates and gloves...its more of what piece needs to be upgraded more. Obviously you do alot more skating in hockey than stick handling so if it comes down to which should I have better of period, I go with skates, but really look at what is hindering you the most at the moment or in near future if its breaking down.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:49 AM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
Just out of curiosity?

I personally have 2 pairs (but I'm a newb)... One is an older Easton SY50 (4roll) which has basically no plastic inserts but does have a very comfortable liner and palm. (Nylon glove)

The other is an older pair of Mission pro-stock from my buddy, but they're all synthetic leather and the palms are thin to the point where it feels palmless (it is nice)... but along with that, there are inserts everywhere and it does weigh more..

Funny tho.... the fit of both are simular, and I do like the 4 roll designs.

Now, outside of protection... generally do higher end gloves add more feel or benefit to most of you?

Why I ask, is there is a few good deals on Eagles and Warriors out right now, but I'm not sure whether that is a better investment or maybe just save up for better skates.
My personal experience with more expensive gloves is that they last longer, especially in the palm, and are stronger material on the outside without losing flexibility. I can't say it's a direct performance enhancer but if you consider comfort as a performance enhancer, then I guess it would.

Just remember, you usually get what you pay for.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:11 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Good equipment can never make you better but poor fitting or inadequate gear can hamper performance. If you don't feel that the gloves you have are getting in your way, then changing them won't do much.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 09:11 AM
AIREAYE

Gloves aren't as fit-conscious as other pieces of gear. If you should use a 13" glove, then using a 14" is only a matter of personal preference. As for high vs low end, like you observed, the lower end gloves do not have a s much protection as higher end, so that's a big sacrifice. As for weight/palm material, they vary from glove to glove so you just have to try on a few pairs to see what you like.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:57 AM
GoTeamDom

another difference is the level of protection a high end glove gives you. that being said, unless you have an existing hand injury or are expecting to stand in front of a lot of hard slapshots, it's a non-factor.

i'd get good skates before sick mitts

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Rush22*

The only equipment that directly effects performance is your stick and your skates...

Rush22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:44 PM
ponder

More expensive gloves can offer better comfort, durability and protection, but won't help your game much. Maybe a slightly better feel for the stick with the right palms, other than that the only real performance issue with gloves is range of motion, but you can get a wide range of motion with even cheap gloves if you get the right brand/model. I would say gloves, shins, shoulders and helmet have almost zero impact on performance (as long as they fit well/offer good mobility, which a lot of cheap ones will do). Skates and stick are indeed the two main performance pieces, but I find pants and elbows can also be fairly restrictive if you don't find the right pair.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
Good equipment can never make you better but poor fitting or inadequate gear can hamper performance. If you don't feel that the gloves you have are getting in your way, then changing them won't do much.
This is true, but one caveat I will add is that if youre just using lousy gear, you will have no idea whether or not it is hampering your performance. Gloves, specifically are more about comfort than anything else. Better gloves are simply more comfortable, while still providing the same protection.

If youre looking for a good deal on gloves I would definately go with a lower end Eagle model. Eagle pretty much makes all their gloves feel like an orgasm, even their non top end ones.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Protection and comfort. That goes for just about every piece of equipment that you wear.

Only your stick really makes a difference in how you play and for that it's more of finding a stick that works well for your style and size. No stick is going to really make you a better player, just allow you to maximize the technique that you employ.

Skates, again, protection and comfort. A lighter skate will help you fatigue at a lower rate (less weight) and possibly make you skate slightly faster (less weight). Otherwise it's about protection and comfort.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Protection and comfort. That goes for just about every piece of equipment that you wear.

Only your stick really makes a difference in how you play and for that it's more of finding a stick that works well for your style and size. No stick is going to really make you a better player, just allow you to maximize the technique that you employ.

Skates, again, protection and comfort. A lighter skate will help you fatigue at a lower rate (less weight) and possibly make you skate slightly faster (less weight). Otherwise it's about protection and comfort.
I disagree about skates having little benefit. Good skates will only allow you to skate a hair faster, if that, but your agility, stops and starts, forwards to backwards, one edge to the other is night and day from a pair of high end skates, to mid range skates. And mid range skates are usually more comfortable as high end skates are like wearing cement on your ankles until you break them in.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote