HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers-Penguins

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2011, 10:32 AM
  #126
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowebellini View Post
lets keep hall he's a beaut malklin is suspect




Yes...suspect

Added on top of his 100 point seasons and MVP nominations

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:45 AM
  #127
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowebellini View Post
lets keep hall he's a beaut malklin is suspect
An award winning, dominant player is suspect, while a rookie who has showed he isn't anymore gifted than your typical #1 pick is a beaut...

Sound logic - if you are a delusional Oiler fan.

It is really tough to be "stuck" with Malkin whle the Oilers keep Hall...

Uh lets see, keep the much more talented player, or get the one who isn't nearly as talented... that is a real conundrum...

I just... I can't decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
All these proposals are the same on hf a trade is offered good value the fan base screams bloody murder claiming their player is better than gold/
Malkin isn't better than gold, just one of the most dominant players in the league who still averages over a point a game when he has a bad season.

Quote:
And you better start with you're franchise player as we downgrade him right jiggy than add your next best prospect and add the first overall as well because our star who is downtrending and has huge contract will get this.
I know man! Like can you believe the stones on Pens fans thinking that the Oilers would have to give up ther best player going forward, when like, the Oilers want one of the best players in the league from them! Like, all it would take is a #1 pick and a few players that may kind of be pretty ok one day

Being in Oiler fantasyland is fun!

For instance...

... suddenly Hall has been bequeathed extraordinary playmaking skills by the ghosts of Larionov, Beliveau, and Oates.

... Shero has suddenly started to munch on carpet and is playing spin the bottle with himself because Jersey Shore was canceled and wouldn't you know it, Tambellini has just called to ask about Malkin's availability!

What perfect timing!

It's so sweet to be an Oiler fan!$&*

Quote:
Give me a fn break pens fans show me one player traded that ever got that much back oh yeah and you can start with gretzky .Pens fans in here are truly obnoxious.,
Pocklington sold Gretzky off.

Malkin doesn't have to be moved.

Take my hand, come out of CandyLand.

I know the real world is scary, but let's try it for awhile ok?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 05:13 PM
  #128
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,493
vCash: 500
Malkin would command a stupid overpayment to get him out of pittsburgh before his contract is up. It becomes a crosby type return if he rebounds next year with new linemates. Ive seen trade proposals of two 50 pt wingers and a 1st round pick and both sides having no problem. Factor in shero and we basically get an entire 2nd line back.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:34 PM
  #129
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Let other people worry. His upside - which he has shown consistently - is enough for Pens fans to swat away any less-than-spectacular offers.

Trading Malkin away after a half-season low ebb (he was on pace for 94 points in '09-'10) - with variables like injury and terrible linemates - would be atrocious asset management.
I didnt say to trade him, i just said its a legit concern to have and Pens fans are acting like if you say something negative youre insulting him and just dismiss it outright

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:16 PM
  #130
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
I didnt say to trade him, i just said its a legit concern to have and Pens fans are acting like if you say something negative youre insulting him and just dismiss it outright
It's not that. It's that even considering Malkin's recent injuries and downturn, the offers are nothing close to reasonable.

We're talking about a player who had one of the most prodigious first 3 years of any forward ever. That has HUGE value...injuries, poor linemates, and short-term production slide notwithstanding.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:28 PM
  #131
vocks10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
It's not that. It's that even considering Malkin's recent injuries and downturn, the offers are nothing close to reasonable.

We're talking about a player who had one of the most prodigious first 3 years of any forward ever. That has HUGE value...injuries, poor linemates, and short-term production slide notwithstanding.
No disagreement here for most of that. I don't even know the OP trade offer but Pitts would have to be overwhelmed to trade and in this example the Oil aren't in the position to give up what it would take.

However in this what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world those first 3 years aren't as fresh in GMs minds as the injury affected recent seasons. Malkin would/does have huge value, but to infer his stock hasn't decreased because of the last couple years is false. This season alone he missed games 3 separate times because of knee issues (both left and right) with the last one had surgery to fix both the MCL and ACL (I think, though I could be mistaken). As a GM I would be extremely nervous to trade for someone no matter how dominant coming back from knee surgery. So yes, he has big value, but it's not where it was 2 years ago.

All that leads to this argument over what he is worth. He has the past to indicate he is worthy of a top 3 player in the NHL haul if traded, but he also has the injury history for people to justifiably offer less.

vocks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:09 PM
  #132
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocks10 View Post
No disagreement here for most of that. I don't even know the OP trade offer but Pitts would have to be overwhelmed to trade and in this example the Oil aren't in the position to give up what it would take.

However in this what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world those first 3 years aren't as fresh in GMs minds as the injury affected recent seasons. Malkin would/does have huge value, but to infer his stock hasn't decreased because of the last couple years is false. This season alone he missed games 3 separate times because of knee issues (both left and right) with the last one had surgery to fix both the MCL and ACL (I think, though I could be mistaken). As a GM I would be extremely nervous to trade for someone no matter how dominant coming back from knee surgery. So yes, he has big value, but it's not where it was 2 years ago.

All that leads to this argument over what he is worth. He has the past to indicate he is worthy of a top 3 player in the NHL haul if traded, but he also has the injury history for people to justifiably offer less.
I don't agree at all with the first couple sentences of that second paragraph, but regardless I think it comes down to this: If you're going to say his value is decreased then who would you compare his value to? Getzlaf? Backstrom? Okay, but that's about as far as I'd go. Getting hurt a handful of times in two years and being injury prone isn't the same thing.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
  #133
vocks10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I don't agree at all with the first couple sentences of that second paragraph, but regardless I think it comes down to this: If you're going to say his value is decreased then who would you compare his value to? Getzlaf? Backstrom? Okay, but that's about as far as I'd go. Getting hurt a handful of times in two years and being injury prone isn't the same thing.
I agree with the injury prone comment. And if it was broken ankle, separated shoulder I wouldn't bat an eye. But knee injuries and concussions can lead to more reoccurring injuries. Just my perspective but knee and head injuries would make me nervous.

But if we're strictly speaking value and who I'd compare his value to, off the top of my head here is the list of players I'd value over Malkin; Crosby (yes concussion history but still I would), Ovechkin, Stamkos, Doughty, Weber, Toews, Getzlaf. Before the injuries he was right there with Crosby and Ovechkin. So his value has dropped but I have never said he's chopped liver, just a bit lower.

*Note my list is for who I'd rather have from this point on in their careers hence the lack of veterans. Like I mentioned earlier, the knee issue is why Malkin is where he is. He comes back from injury and returns to form I will gladly take back my comments and bump him back up to the top echelon of players.

vocks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:32 PM
  #134
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocks10 View Post
I agree with the injury prone comment. And if it was broken ankle, separated shoulder I wouldn't bat an eye. But knee injuries and concussions can lead to more reoccurring injuries. Just my perspective but knee and head injuries would make me nervous.

But if we're strictly speaking value and who I'd compare his value to, off the top of my head here is the list of players I'd value over Malkin; Crosby (yes concussion history but still I would), Ovechkin, Stamkos, Doughty, Weber, Toews, Getzlaf. Before the injuries he was right there with Crosby and Ovechkin. So his value has dropped but I have never said he's chopped liver, just a bit lower.

*Note my list is for who I'd rather have from this point on in their careers hence the lack of veterans. Like I mentioned earlier, the knee issue is why Malkin is where he is. He comes back from injury and returns to form I will gladly take back my comments and bump him back up to the top echelon of players.
Given Malkin's injuries, that's a respectable grouping.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:39 PM
  #135
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocks10 View Post
I agree with the injury prone comment. And if it was broken ankle, separated shoulder I wouldn't bat an eye. But knee injuries and concussions can lead to more reoccurring injuries. Just my perspective but knee and head injuries would make me nervous.

But if we're strictly speaking value and who I'd compare his value to, off the top of my head here is the list of players I'd value over Malkin; Crosby (yes concussion history but still I would), Ovechkin, Stamkos, Doughty, Weber, Toews, Getzlaf. Before the injuries he was right there with Crosby and Ovechkin. So his value has dropped but I have never said he's chopped liver, just a bit lower.

*Note my list is for who I'd rather have from this point on in their careers hence the lack of veterans. Like I mentioned earlier, the knee issue is why Malkin is where he is. He comes back from injury and returns to form I will gladly take back my comments and bump him back up to the top echelon of players.
Hmm. I would still take Malkin over Getzlaf. Malkin with Perry and Ryan, reconstructed knee and all, would have to outproduce Getzlaf. I just can't see him not. He's done it at a younger age with Malone/Fedotenko and Sykora, who don't hold a candle to Perry/Ryan. Toews? Nah, although Toews has certainly lived up to his billing. Again transpose the linemates of both players and I don't think it's a contest.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.