HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Weight Transfer Drills

Old
03-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Maccas

vCash: 500
Weight Transfer Drills

Hey guys,
I'm still a relative Newbie but I've been having some fairly major problems recently with my shooting. I've pretty much worked out that its in the weight transfer as off Ice I can happily shoot with a fair bit of power and not bad accuracy. Problem is as soon as I get on the ice it all goes to pot!
I was wondering if you guys knew of any good ways to improve edge control and ability to transfer weight comfortably?
It's really starting to bug me! lol

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 01:32 PM
TheOtter

I know this doesn't really answer your actual question, but you may want to try bending your knees more on the ice. You're several inches further up on skates, so it could be you just need to get a bit lower to make things work the way you've practiced...

TheOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:49 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtter View Post
I know this doesn't really answer your actual question, but you may want to try bending your knees more on the ice. You're several inches further up on skates, so it could be you just need to get a bit lower to make things work the way you've practiced...
That may very well be the answer. Since weight transfer includes pushing off the back leg to "land" on the front leg, you can't properly execute that if both your legs are already fully extended.

Another thing is if you've perfected your technique without skates, and now your trying it on skates with the same stick length, that might throw you off like TheOtter seems to be getting at.

Last edited by LarryO: 03-14-2011 at 04:54 PM.
LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Maccas

lol I feel kinda stupid for never actually thinking of that!
I'll make sure I give it a try on Thursday!

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 06:41 AM
biturbo19

it sounds like you're basically hit on it yourself...edge control drills. a lot of them. they're boring and kinda make you feel like a tool, but once you're completely comfortable with it...

weight transfer into your shot will be a cakewalk.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote