HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT 3-12-11 Colorado (14th) @ Nashville (10th)

Old
03-14-2011, 11:06 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
the more I see of Blum, the less I like Franson..
You and me both. The play he made and let O'Reilly get the breakaway the other night was horrendous. Let's see, wait to take the shot, have the guy block it, then beat you the other way when you're the last man back. How many bad plays did he make in one sequence. Lucky O'Reilly didn't put it away.

I'd be ok if and when Cube comes backs to put Klein back with him and put Blum and SOB out there together. Blum could handle the puck and SOB can be, well, an SOB. I'd liken them to a poor man's version of Boyle and Murray, skill and size.

I hope Franson is gone sooner than later. He is atrocious and his offense isn't worth keeping him around for, especially with guys like Josi and Ellis in the system.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
You and me both. The play he made and let O'Reilly get the breakaway the other night was horrendous. Let's see, wait to take the shot, have the guy block it, then beat you the other way when you're the last man back. How many bad plays did he make in one sequence. Lucky O'Reilly didn't put it away.

I'd be ok if and when Cube comes backs to put Klein back with him and put Blum and SOB out there together. Blum could handle the puck and SOB can be, well, an SOB. I'd liken them to a poor man's version of Boyle and Murray, skill and size.

I hope Franson is gone sooner than later. He is atrocious and his offense isn't worth keeping him around for, especially with guys like Josi and Ellis in the system.
What makes you think Ellis's defense will be better?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
What makes you think Ellis's defense will be better?
It couldn't be any worse and Ellis's offense is supposed to be better than Franson's so even if it's not better but his offense is better, especially since he's labeled as a PP QB, I could live with that. Franson doesn't QB the PP very well. He just doesn't have great hockey instincts and with his lack of speed and inability to read the play, he gets caught frequently in bad positions on the ice. Watch Blum play and his instincts and how well he reads the play and knows where to be, it's light years ahead of Franson. You can't teach that. It's a gift and I believe Ellis has those same instincts. And the detractors that say he's too small, Blum is tall but he's not even 180 pounds yet handles himself very well against NHL talent. Ellis uses his frame well for his size as well. Franson, for a big body, does not.

If Josi and Ellis pan out to anything like they're billed, I could live with a 6 of Weber, Suter, Klein, Blum, Josi and Ellis. May not be the biggest 6 back there but the ability to move the puck in our defensive zone would be vastly improved and that would allow the puck to get out of our zone that much quicker making our transition game more dangerous than it is now.

Old
03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Franson is good enough that we dont need to dump him until we have a clear successor who is ready to go. We got very lucky that Blum was more ready than expected. Josi might come up and suck, or at least be as prone to mistakes as Franson, and ellis is still in junior isnt he?

Didnt Franson sign a 2 year deal last summer for reasonable money? I think that is probably just about right. After next year he will either be ready to be replaced or will have played himself out of our price range. Until then we will just have to make do.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:05 PM
predfan24

Quote:

To be fair to Franson if your a D-man and you get a shot blocked right in front of you it doesn't really matter who you are if the guy who blocked the shot is able to play the puck cleanly he's gone. Of course getting the shot blocked in itself is a bad play but you have to think Franson takes more shots than any D-man not named Weber. It was bound to happen eventually. Usually Franson is excellent at getting shots on net through traffic.

That being said the SOB-Franson pairing has looked scary to me over the last few weeks. I've been saying all year Franson's D weaknesses have been overstated and I stand by that comment BUT the last few weeks I think he truly has lived up to his reputation. Tons of defensive gaffes lately for him.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think Franson's about what he's been all year. He'll always have to be paired with someone defensively responsible...the problem is that SOB has completely gone off the deep end defensively. He acts like he's Bobby Orr out there, and Franson certainly isn't going to cover for that.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:02 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
To be fair to Franson if your a D-man and you get a shot blocked right in front of you it doesn't really matter who you are if the guy who blocked the shot is able to play the puck cleanly he's gone. Of course getting the shot blocked in itself is a bad play but you have to think Franson takes more shots than any D-man not named Weber. It was bound to happen eventually. Usually Franson is excellent at getting shots on net through traffic.

That being said the SOB-Franson pairing has looked scary to me over the last few weeks. I've been saying all year Franson's D weaknesses have been overstated and I stand by that comment BUT the last few weeks I think he truly has lived up to his reputation. Tons of defensive gaffes lately for him.
The problem was he had time to shoot, decided to wait and then shot. He had a line and didn't take it.

You're right, guys will block shots and there's nothing you can do to catch them but if he's the last line of his defense, he needs to realize this, make a safe play with the puck and move on. He's been in the big time long enough to know he should've either shot sooner or dumped the puck to the corner. Even if we lose possession on the PP, the breakaway probably doesn't happen.

And yes, that pairing has been scary. Luckily Trotz has been playing Weber and Suter close to 30 minutes a night so we don't have to watch the 4-55 combo be so dang scary. It's like a train wreck waiting to happen every time they hit the ice.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:05 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Franson is good enough that we dont need to dump him until we have a clear successor who is ready to go. We got very lucky that Blum was more ready than expected. Josi might come up and suck, or at least be as prone to mistakes as Franson, and ellis is still in junior isnt he?

Didnt Franson sign a 2 year deal last summer for reasonable money? I think that is probably just about right. After next year he will either be ready to be replaced or will have played himself out of our price range. Until then we will just have to make do.
If Blum was prepared to make the leap and the guys in Milwaukee are saying Josi is the best prospect to come thru there ever, I'm sure he can make the leap and take Franson's spot or at least play with him to give him some stability.

If we have to make do then that's a sad state of affairs. We have other guys that should be given a shot since he has been given more than ample to time to show what he's worth and to be honest, I don't think he's gonna grow out of this. He shows promise every so often but enough to make me go, man, he's irreplaceable. I'd rather have a third pairing that is good defensively and doesn't scare the bejesus out of me every time they take the ice. I'm not asking for all-star play but I'm not wanting to see a train wreck every time they take the ice.

Old
03-14-2011, 03:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't break up Klein and Blum even if Boullion does come back. They're a legit second pair.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Never Wilson's fault, is it?
Was going to not reply, but as I had said Wilson lost the puck (which was his fault). My comment was more about you implying he wandered aimlessly toward the net etc. I felt I had to correct that statement, as you must have missed that part.....(it was bolded for that purpose)

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:57 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
May not be the biggest 6 back there but the ability to move the puck in our defensive zone would be vastly improved and that would allow the puck to get out of our zone that much quicker making our transition game more dangerous than it is now.
And who is it you think is going to finish the rush???

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:34 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Was going to not reply, but as I had said Wilson lost the puck (which was his fault). My comment was more about you implying he wandered aimlessly toward the net etc. I felt I had to correct that statement, as you must have missed that part.....(it was bolded for that purpose)
the aimless remark was hyperbole to make a point. while he wasnt "aim;ess" he WAS late getting over to his man and in his hurry to catch up to him he screened pekka AND deflected the puck in..

if you dont think Wilson screwed the pooch on that play go back and look at Pekkas reaction... he wanted to clobber Wilson... and i think Weber pretty much chewed him out too.

Wilson needs some pine time.

Old
03-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I wouldn't break up Klein and Blum even if Boullion does come back. They're a legit second pair.
Agreed! I've been very happy with the two of them as a second pair. They appear to be building solid chemistry together too.

FWIW, O'Reilly will likely be back before Bouillon...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Agreed! I've been very happy with the two of them as a second pair. They appear to be building solid chemistry together too.

FWIW, O'Reilly will likely be back before Bouillon...

Thanks Mr Sunshine... That is not good news given that we have zero depth at d right now.

Old
03-15-2011, 08:14 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
And who is it you think is going to finish the rush???
Pekka?

Old
03-15-2011, 08:25 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Pekka?
He's one of the ones we could probably count on to finish.

Old
03-15-2011, 08:45 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
He's one of the ones we could probably count on to finish.
Wanna go on the road? You wanna be Martin or Lewis?

Old
03-15-2011, 09:53 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Thanks Mr Sunshine... That is not good news given that we have zero depth at d right now.
You know, you've got to wonder what was going on in Poile's head when he let Sulzer go for a conditional pick? Either they think Cube is close or they gotta' believe Laakso can play if needed.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:57 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Glen, I served with Dean Martin, I knew Dean Martin, Dean Martin was a friend of mine. Glen, you're no Dean Martin.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:02 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
You know, you've got to wonder what was going on in Poile's head when he let Sulzer go for a conditional pick? Either they think Cube is close or they gotta' believe Laakso can play if needed.
Think it is both of the latter part of your post.

But I know what was in his head. You don't want to lose an asset for nothing. You want to retain SOMETHING for this asset we lost (or, well, were going to lose at season's end) -- which he did.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:20 AM
token grinder

otherwise the peverly lose him for nothing crowd comes out

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:46 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
otherwise the peverly lose him for nothing crowd comes out
speaking of which have you seen Pev's stats since he joined the bruins?

2 pts(1G 1A) in 9 games.

things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Old
03-15-2011, 11:01 AM
token grinder

Quote:

2 pts(1G 1A) in 9 games.

first ballot hall of famer, no doubt

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:01 AM
predfan24

Quote:

2 pts(1G 1A) in 9 games.

You mean Pevs goes to a good team that practices a responible defensive system where he's not one of the main offensive options and his stats suffer? Shocking

I never understood the Peverly stuff. Any semi-knowledgeable hockey fan could have told you his skill set was favorable to a wide open system.

I'm more inclined to believe Santorelli is for real. At least he is having his breakout season with a team that practices a responsible defensive system. They just don't have the players to pull it off yet.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
I'd have to be Lewis. I'm not that good looking.