HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carey Price

Old
03-14-2011, 01:34 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Does anyone remember when we traded the wrong goaltender last off-season?
You don't have to rub it in...

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
TOGuy14

Everyone needs to relax.

Here's the deal with Price.

He has the winning pedigree everywhere he went, sure

As a rookie he looked like a sure thing. His second year was a stinker, his third year was barely average and his fourth is a standout season.

Watching him what I have learned is that when his head is there and his confidence is on, he is a top 5, possibly top 3 goalie in the league. Conversely, when he gets rattled, he is barely in the top 20.

That element of risk would help keep his value down, combined with the fact that goalies don't carry much value in the new NHL. Hell, Chicago outright walked away from the Cup winning goalie who put up good numbers, and was awarded a below average salary.

You would get some interesting offers from some of the teams that were close, had some prospects to burn, and were willing ot roll the dice a little. I am guessing

Edmonton, Tampa, Islanders would all make a run.

New Jersey would be interested if they felt he was their goalie for the next 10-15 years. Don't think they have the pieces they'd be willing to move though.

Detroit could be interested, but they prefer to build within.

Colorado is probably the final team that would have interest. Chris Stewart would have made for an interesting swap with the Habs prior to taking his talents under the arches.

For everyone else the price would be too expensive, a non-need, or other factors.

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Everyone needs to relax.

As a rookie he looked like a sure thing. His second year was a stinker, his third year was barely average and his fourth is a standout season.

Watching him what I have learned is that when his head is there and his confidence is on, he is a top 5, possibly top 3 goalie in the league. Conversely, when he gets rattled, he is barely in the top 20.

That element of risk would help keep his value down, combined with the fact that goalies don't carry much value in the new NHL. Hell, Chicago outright walked away from the Cup winning goalie who put up good numbers, and was awarded a below average salary.

You would get some interesting offers from some of the teams that were close, had some prospects to burn, and were willing ot roll the dice a little. I am guessing

New Jersey would be interested if they felt he was their goalie for the next 10-15 years. Don't think they have the pieces they'd be willing to move though.

Colorado is probably the final team that would have interest. Chris Stewart would have made for an interesting swap with the Habs prior to taking his talents under the arches.

For everyone else the price would be too expensive, a non-need, or other factors.
I agree with everything said here. Well put!

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
My only amendment to this would be... he has gone this whole season without looking the least bit rattled. His confidence and consistency has been almost uncanny. And given that he is so young, it's hard to imagine that this progress isn't sustainable. Yes, he had some issues in past seasons. If they haven't resurfaced in a full season of heavy work and huge pressure... why wouldn't we mark the past down to inexperience and presume that he has moved past that now, permanently? Or do we just need the continuation of this into the playoffs first?

I wanted the Habs to keep Halak (and Price both), and I have tended to be critical of the whole concept of them drafting him as high as they did. But this season has been an eye-opener.

There's no "hype" involved here. No moreso than hype over Stamkos, or hype over Crosby, or any other star player/burgeoning star player in the league. There are dozens of such players. I don't really see the point in a fan begrudging whatever "hype" these dozens of players get. Who knows if Price's ascension will continue, or be sustainable. But somebody isn't paying attention if they think he hasn't earned whatever accolades he is generally receiving.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:51 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
My only amendment to this would be... he has gone this whole season without looking the least bit rattled. His confidence and consistency has been almost uncanny. And given that he is so young, it's hard to imagine that this progress isn't sustainable. Yes, he had some issues in past seasons. If they haven't resurfaced in a full season of heavy work and huge pressure... why wouldn't we mark the past down to inexperience and presume that he has moved past that now, permanently? Or do we just need the continuation of this into the playoffs first?

I wanted the Habs to keep Halak (and Price both), and I have tended to be critical of the whole concept of them drafting him as high as they did. But this season has been an eye-opener.

There's no "hype" involved here. No moreso than hype over Stamkos, or hype over Crosby, or any other star player/burgeoning star player in the league. There are dozens of such players. I don't really see the point in a fan begrudging whatever "hype" these dozens of players get. Who knows if Price's ascension will continue, or be sustainable. But somebody isn't paying attention if they think he hasn't earned whatever accolades he is generally receiving.
I am a firm believer in the fact you can't have too long, or too short of a memory when it comes to these things.

Yes, he has been consistent this year, but the past two years he was terribly inconsistent.

I'd like to see him play through a bit more before I decided that he was going to make a career out of being a top goalie in the league.

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:10 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Everyone needs to relax.

I agree with most of this post except the Chicago thing. They had no choice, they were in such a tight cap situation they simply couldnt afford to keep him. They thought that Turco could be a bandaid until Crawford was ready.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I got my balls busted by Hab fans in Oct trying to defend Price because of his age, now Hab fans would only consider moving him for Crosby.

You just have to laugh I guess... I dunno... it's sad and funny at the same time I guess.
If you're insinuating that I believed we traded the wrong goalie this off-season, you're completely misinformed. I've been pro-Price for years. His talent, size and agility were obvious from the very beginning, not to mention his strong puck play.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Price has been dominant this season and he's still young. I think he'd fetch a lot, despite the 'goalies don't bring back value' mantra.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I am a firm believer in the fact you can't have too long, or too short of a memory when it comes to these things.

Yes, he has been consistent this year, but the past two years he was terribly inconsistent.

I'd like to see him play through a bit more before I decided that he was going to make a career out of being a top goalie in the league.
For sure. But nobody is praising him for those past years, only for this year. And there is a key distinction between saying he's "a top 10 goalie in the league" and that he's "been one of the top 10 goalies in the league this season".

I think he's building a good case towards being a top 10 goalie in the league. But he does need to do more over a longer period, and in the playoffs, to get there. I'm very optimistic based on his progression thus far that he'll get there.

But he has also - I think inarguably - performed as one of the top 10 goalies in the league in this season alone. Many would say top 5. And it's this season alone that is the basis for awards voting, for example, and hence the basis for a lot of "hype" or rankings talk that goes on.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
For sure. But nobody is praising him for those past years, only for this year. And there is a key distinction between saying he's "a top 10 goalie in the league" and that he's "been one of the top 10 goalies in the league this season".

I think he's building a good case towards being a top 10 goalie in the league. But he does need to do more over a longer period, and in the playoffs, to get there. I'm very optimistic based on his progression thus far that he'll get there.

But he has also - I think inarguably - performed as one of the top 10 goalies in the league in this season alone. Many would say top 5. And it's this season alone that is the basis for awards voting, for example, and hence the basis for a lot of "hype" or rankings talk that goes on.
THIS. A reasoned post about Price. Well done!

There have been some great goalie performances this year. Few realize that if you remove the first four weeks of the season from the stats, Thomas is not leading most of the stat categories. However, neither is Price. Price has been more consistent this year than he has in his young career but that doesn't mean he is ready to be mentioned in the same breath as King Henrik, Roberto Luongo and such. He is knocking on a door used by people like Ryan Miller as is Rinne but that door doesn't open for a while yet as 80% of one season is not a career. Jim Carey and others would be happy to discuss that with Carey Price.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote