HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Chain Reaction of Disaster in Japan

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2011, 10:21 PM
  #1
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,810
vCash: 500
A Chain Reaction of Disaster in Japan

I know this is a hockey forum, so by all means, if one of the mods finds this to be inappropriate, delete it.

The news out of Japan seems to only be getting worse.

It's sickening that these kinds of articles have to be written, but this is a link to an article about how to donate to the victims of these seemingly continuous tragedies without being scammed. It includes links which will aid you in confirming legitimate charities if you want to send them aid.


http://www.marketwatch.com/story/don...ers-2011-03-14

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
  #2
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I know this is a hockey forum, so by all means, if one of the mods finds this to be inappropriate, delete it.

The news out of Japan seems to only be getting worse.

It's sickening that these kinds of articles have to be written, but this is a link to an article about how to donate to the victims of these seemingly continuous tragedies without being scammed. It includes links which will aid you in confirming legitimate charities if you want to send them aid.


http://www.marketwatch.com/story/don...ers-2011-03-14
There's always a chance that money you donate will not actually reach it's intended destination. Thanks for the link.

That said, I'm personally more concerned with the Japanese government having lied since day one about the nuclear facilities that were affected by the quake. Since it began I've watched NHK, CNN, BBC as well as Taiwanese news and they all have conflicting information and reports, which are directly from the various press conferences the Prime Minister and other government officials have given.

Gotta go find myself some potassium iodide.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:06 AM
  #3
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
.That said, I'm personally more concerned with the Japanese government having lied since day one about the nuclear facilities that were affected by the quake.
Could it be with the disaster that they didn't have all the information available at the time?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:58 PM
  #4
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Could it be with the disaster that they didn't have all the information available at the time?
It's possible yes. I made an error when I said the government has been lying. They were probably getting the information from the power company itself.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:39 PM
  #5
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,810
vCash: 500
I think the rule of thumb for managing a crisis this complex is you only release information that is vital. If you start spouting off about how bad the reactor situation is you have people trying to evacuate areas that are close, but not directly in the contamination zone. Japan is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. I don't think it would be beneficial to have people freaking out if you don't have to.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:43 PM
  #6
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think the rule of thumb for managing a crisis this complex is you only release information that is vital. If you start spouting off about how bad the reactor situation is you have people trying to evacuate areas that are close, but not directly in the contamination zone. Japan is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. I don't think it would be beneficial to have people freaking out if you don't have to.
True.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:18 PM
  #7
zellthemedic
Registered User
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Heart goes out to the Japanese. I have two American friends in Japan right now -- one is there studying Japanese (plans on being a Japanese economist) and the other is in the Navy.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
  #8
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellthemedic View Post
Heart goes out to the Japanese. I have two American friends in Japan right now -- one is there studying Japanese (plans on being a Japanese economist) and the other is in the Navy.
Both of them OK?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:46 PM
  #9
zellthemedic
Registered User
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Both of them OK?
Yeah. The one in the Navy is doing disaster relief pretty much 24/7 while the other one studying is doing red cross stuff pretty much 24/7.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.