HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hawks at Caps 12:30 PM

Old
03-14-2011, 05:20 PM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
I shudder to think how dangerous this team will be with Backstrom and Green back. I think Arnott's experience will rub off on Mike Green too. The post deadline deals are like a natural high, you just can't get enough games to watch. As for Chimera, I love having him on the team. Having blazing speed like that creates break aways and he isn't a scared player. Of course I am biased, I was a Chimera fan when he was a prospect . Semin is playing fantastic and I love Arnott playing on the point. Now all we need is the New York Rangers to fall out of the playoffs .

Cheers!

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Funkyalligator

I like chimera but his hands of stone have cost the caps goals. I'm fine with him dumping the puck into the zone and chasing or bringing it up the sidewalks but he needs both other guys on his line to finish because he never really does. His speed is a good weapon on the 3rd line but with his salary we should be getting more finish out of him. But he certainly scares the D when they back peddaling.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 06:10 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I shudder to think how dangerous this team will be with Backstrom and Green back.
"Man, the Devils are tearing up the league with Scott Freaking Clemmensen in net, can you imagine how good they'll be when Brodeur gets back?! Unstoppable!!!"

-Pretty much everyone prior to the Devils 1st round exit against the Carolina Hurricanes in 2009.

Simply inserting more talented players into a lineup does not always lead to increased production. The depth will increase tremendously, sure, but when players are stepping up their game in the face of injury like a Johansson is and like Scott Clemmensen did for the Devils with his .920 save percentage, it's unrealistic to expect the returning players to top already great production. The great players will have a better chance of sustaining great production over a longer period, and that's what makes them great. On the flip side, a lot of NHLers are capable of top level production in short bursts. The inability to sustain production is, in most cases, what keeps them in the average category of player.

Don't get caught up and assume that Backstrom and Green are going to come in and automatically make the team more unbeatable or something, especially considering the seasons they're currently having. The Capitals over their last 8 games are 8-0-0, with Backstrom and Green the best their record could have been is still 8-0-0.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Good thing we don't make decisions based on one game. Personally, I'd still flip a coin between him and Sturm for a benching once everyone's back. Alternate them and see if one takes over.
IMO Sturm has done next to nothing since he has been here and frankly I didn't expect him to either.

Chimera is what he is, a very fast straight ahead skater, with good size, a fairly aggressive attitude, and poor hands and little creativity. When put in the correct role he can be an asset. Putting him with Ovechkin and Backstrom, on his off wing also, just excentuates his poor offensive abilities. Putting him with Laich and Fehr on a grinding, get it deep and cycle 3rd line is an excellent use of his skill set.

I said it before, Chimera was an obvious candidate to me to not get a jersey when this team is healthy based on his play for much of this season. But given the game he played against the Hawks he deserves a chance to see if he can keep that level of play up IMO.

Coming to complain about a guy after he just played his best game of the season and played his role to a T makes little sense to me, that's all.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:17 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

what is Arnott's injury?

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:21 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
what is Arnott's injury?
Not yet disclosed.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
what is Arnott's injury?
I emphatically say it is a concussion and we all know how right I am when I make these claims...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote