HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres scouting staff (Cunneyworth added 11/2; Prendergast added 11/27)

Old
03-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 500
Sabres scouting staff (Cunneyworth added 11/2; Prendergast added 11/27)

Has there been any word on whether the Sabres have begun beefing up their scouting staff? If so, does anyone think it will have any impact on this year's draft?

Where do you think they need the most improvement? I'm guessing more European scouts in general considering their last few drafts but Europe is a big place and I don't know much of anything about their scouting there.

Basically any information would be good information to me.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Has there been any word on whether the Sabres have begun beefing up their scouting staff? If so, does anyone think it will have any impact on this year's draft?

Where do you think they need the most improvement? I'm guessing more European scouts in general considering their last few drafts but Europe is a big place and I don't know much of anything about their scouting there.

Basically any information would be good information to me.
Outside of Bo Berglund, they do not have anyone else specifically in Europe. They not only could use more bodies on the ground there, but getting people to view those Jr B/Tier II levels like the AJHL, BCJHL, etc.... would be a solid move too since those leagues are starting to put talent into team's systems. Buffalo has a solid presence in the CHL, though another Maritime based scout would be interesting as the Maritimes seem to be a growing seat of offensive Canadian talent (see MacKinnon).

The other thing that might be in their best interest would be coordinating their pro and amateur guys since the way it has been explained to me, the pro guys are looking at the UFA talent coming out of amateur leagues (particularly the NCAA guys).

Terry did mention in the pre-game HNiC program that they will be adding more scouts as part of building the hockey department. How long that takes... ? *shrug*

03-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Outside of Bo Berglund, they do not have anyone else specifically in Europe. They not only could use more bodies on the ground there, but getting people to view those Jr B/Tier II levels like the AJHL, BCJHL, etc.... would be a solid move too since those leagues are starting to put talent into team's systems. Buffalo has a solid presence in the CHL, though another Maritime based scout would be interesting as the Maritimes seem to be a growing seat of offensive Canadian talent (see MacKinnon).

The other thing that might be in their best interest would be coordinating their pro and amateur guys since the way it has been explained to me, the pro guys are looking at the UFA talent coming out of amateur leagues (particularly the NCAA guys).

Terry did mention in the pre-game HNiC program that they will be adding more scouts as part of building the hockey department. How long that takes... ? *shrug*
You mean this isnt done yet!?! Epic Fail.
/tank

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:

Awesome post, thanks. Yeah I'm sure there's plenty of logistical issues with overseas hiring as well that they'll have to deal with.

Watch we come out of the draft with 2-3 Euro picks this year.

Old
03-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
You mean this isnt done yet!?! Epic Fail.
/tank

Hehehe... yeah. So far it seems most people get that there is a process to this, that it will take time to bring in good people. Guys with a solid track record are already employed for the most part, they will either need to find and groom new talent finders or poach people from other teams. Neither will take a couple of weeks to solve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Awesome post, thanks. Yeah I'm sure there's plenty of logistical issues with overseas hiring as well that they'll have to deal with.

Watch we come out of the draft with 2-3 Euro picks this year.
This year? I don't think that's going to shift that quickly. I could see one pick perhaps and then they will continue to do what they've done in the last few years because it has worked -- draft from their recent strengths (USHL-bound guys, CHLers) while they build their staff.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
This year? I don't think that's going to shift that quickly. I could see one pick perhaps and then they will continue to do what they've done in the last few years because it has worked -- draft from their recent strengths (USHL-bound guys, CHLers) while they build their staff.
Yeah I was only kidding. I don't see any major changes in our strategy coming,, and frankly, I've been pretty damn happy with some of the recent drafting. I wasn't too happy with the Pysyk pick last year, but I'll hopefully eat some crow there.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Jacob582

1. "Was very happy to hear Randy Cunneyworth is back in the NHL. The Sabres just hired him as a pro scout. He deserves a fresh start and a better ending." (Elliotte Friedman)

2. John Van Boxmeer hired as scout by the Sabres based out of Anaheim (per KevinSyl.)

Jacob582 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:

Fredrik Andersson (MODO/Swe), Jussi Kari-Koskinen (Fin) and Victor Nybladh (Swe) are all European scouts dating back to at least last year.

As for others, last I checked: Dave Torrie scouts OHL & Michigan (ex-Soo GM); Chris Moulton out of Spokane/WHL; Kim Gellert out of Kelowna/WHL; entire listing via Sabres.com:
Quote:
Head Amateur Scout Dave Torrie
Amateur Scout Bo Berglund
Amateur Scout John Van Boxmeer
Amateur Scout Iouri Khmylev
Amateur Scout Al MacAdam
Amateur Scout Paul Merritt
Amateur Scout Kim Gellert
Amateur Scout Nik Fattey
Amateur Scout Austin Dunne
Amateur Scout Toby O'Brien
Amateur Scout Jim Kovachik
Amateur Scout Norm Poisson
Amateur Scout Brandon Jay
Amateur Scout Keith Hendrickson
Amateur Scout Monty Trottier
Amateur Scout Chris Moulton
European Pro/Amateur Scout Teemu Numminen
European Pro/Amateur Scout Fredrik Andersson
European Amateur Scout Bo Berglund
European Amateur Scout Victor Nybladh
European Amateur Scout Jussi Kari-Koskinen
Edit: I just realized this was a necro-bump.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Djp

In 2014 and 2015 they need to go more european and US/college route because they will have the players under team control longer.

If I was Buffalo I would probably internally transfer another scout to europe and to college

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Fredrik Andersson (MODO/Swe), Jussi Kari-Koskinen (Fin) and Victor Nybladh (Swe) are all European scouts dating back to at least last year.

As for others, last I checked: Dave Torrie scouts OHL & Michigan (ex-Soo GM); Chris Moulton out of Spokane/WHL; Kim Gellert out of Kelowna/WHL; entire listing via Sabres.com:

Necro-bumping is illegal in all states save Kentucky.

Good information. I was familiar with the list on Sabres.com but it's good to know the specifics of scouting responsibilities.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Sabreality

1. Was very happy to hear Randy Cunneyworth is back in the NHL. The Sabres just hired him as a pro scout. He deserves a fresh start and a better ending.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...iolations.html

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:

That's OK, it's useful info exactly what the thread was about.

Old
10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
jc17

vCash: 250
I feel like the NCAA is overlooked a bit. I think there is better talent in college than is pulled out of the late rounds of the draft.

jc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Weissman was scouting Mistlele, Nedeljkovic, Peters, McDavid ('15), etc. last week:
Quote:
Eric Weissman ‏@Eric_Weissman 23 Oct
Plymouth at Erie tonight.....Otters stadium looking fresh off renovation! Mid week #OHL scouting #Sabres

Old
10-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Quote:
Weissman was scouting Mistlele, Nedeljkovic, Peters, McDavid ('15), etc. last week:
I imagine the Sabres' staff will know his life story by the time the 2015 draft is here.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 08:50 AM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
"And with the first overall selection in the 2015 draft, the Sabres select, though he was beaten in a footrace with his girl cousin when they were 8, and though he has a secret irrational fear of cottonballs, and despite the fact he is team Jacob not team Edward, from the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League..."

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 10:44 AM
sabrezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Necro-bumping is illegal in all states save Kentucky.
Aww...

sabrezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 05:23 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
"And with the first overall selection in the 2015 draft, the Sabres select, though he was beaten in a footrace with his girl cousin when they were 8, and though he has a secret irrational fear of cottonballs, and despite the fact he is team Jacob not team Edward, from the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League..."
WOAH. Deal breaker.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc17 View Post
I feel like the NCAA is overlooked a bit. I think there is better talent in college than is pulled out of the late rounds of the draft.
that's because most kids are not even in college yet for their draft years.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Press release -- Cunneyworth added to scouting staff:
Quote:
Buffalo Sabres general manager Darcy Regier today announced that Randy Cunneyworth has been hired as a pro scout for the team.

Cunneyworth most recently served as interim head coach for the Montreal Canadiens after being promoted to assistant coach of the Canadiens following a one-year stint as head coach of the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL). He guided the Canadiens to an 18-23-9 record in 50 games after taking over for head coach Jacques Martin midway through the 2011-12 season.

Prior to his time with the Canadiens organization, Cunneyworth spent two seasons as an assistant coach for the Atlanta Thrashers (2008-09 and 2009-10). Cunneyworth began his coaching career as a player-coach under Rochester Americans head coach Brian McCutcheon during the 1999-2000 AHL season. He was hired by the Americans to serve as head coach the following season and retained that post for eight seasons before leaving the Americans to join the Thrashers.

Before retiring as a player, Cunneyworth had an NHL career that spanned parts of 16 seasons. He began his NHL career with the Sabres in 1980-81 after the team selected him in the eighth round of the 1980 NHL Entry Draft and returned to Buffalo in the 1998-99 season for what would be his final NHL season.

Old
11-02-2013, 11:59 AM
DixonWard15

how often does a former NHL coach join a scouting staff? It just seems odd to me.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 12:14 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
how often does a former NHL coach join a scouting staff? It just seems odd to me.
Because no one else will hire him as a coach or assistant I'm guessing.

That or he was promised opportunity with the Sabres...

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Chip Chipperson

vCash: 50
Awesome to see Randy get another shot. He's a great guy that was absolutely screwed by Montreal imo. I'm sure he'll do great.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 12:40 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
Awesome to see Randy get another shot. He's a great guy that was absolutely screwed by Montreal imo. I'm sure he'll do great.
I don't think he never really had a chance with the media and everything.

Glad to have him on board.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 12:48 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Because no one else will hire him as a coach or assistant I'm guessing.

That or he was promised opportunity with the Sabres...
I am thinking it was the opportunity, he could be an in-season replacement if/when a move at head coach is made

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote