HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Voracek to the Leafs

Old
03-14-2011, 06:35 PM
KlattNazty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
You said it, you wouldn't even consider dealing Voracek for Schenn. If you said, I wouldn't deal Voracek for Schenn, I wouldn't care but to not even consider it would be insane. Schenn is already one of the better younger d-men in the game and is only getting better. Leading the league in hits, near the top in blocked shots, night after night getting the toughest assignments. Every team in the league would want this guy, you can build a defense around him.
Exactly. Your looking at a guy who was compared to Adam foote and phaneuf in his earlier days.
Schenn is referred to as "captain" in the locker room according to various articles.
Schenn leads the league in hits, and when you add shots blocked he still leads the league.
More often than not he is the leafs best defenseman.
He has SOME offensive potential, not a lot but he does have some.
Schenn is the guy that in game 7 of the stanley cup finals, the coach sends out there defending a one goal lead. He lays everything on the ice and gives an honest effort every game.
On top of that, he is still improving.
Im not saying that the value is not similar, but to say you would not consider it is foolish.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I wouldn't consider it, and that isn't foolish in my opinion. There is no way I trade my young potential ppg winger for a defensive defender. There is just no freaking way. If we had someone behind him that could step in and fill is role who was young, I would consider it, but not for Schenn. I don't care at all that he leads the league in hits, I really don't, that is not a stat I see helping Columbus do anything in this league. You don't get to game sevens in the Stanley Cup finals by trading away guys like Voracek for guys like Schenn especially when you have nobody to step up and fill a void left by the departure of Voracek. I'm perfectly happy with out D corp plus Voracek compared to our D core with Schenn minus Voracek. It's just not a trade I would ever consider making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
Exactly. Your looking at a guy who was compared to Adam foote and phaneuf in his earlier days.
Schenn is referred to as "captain" in the locker room according to various articles.
Schenn leads the league in hits, and when you add shots blocked he still leads the league.
More often than not he is the leafs best defenseman.
He has SOME offensive potential, not a lot but he does have some.
Schenn is the guy that in game 7 of the stanley cup finals, the coach sends out there defending a one goal lead. He lays everything on the ice and gives an honest effort every game.
On top of that, he is still improving.
Im not saying that the value is not similar, but to say you would not consider it is foolish.
I don't see him at all like a young Phaneuf.
We already have like 10 captains in our locker room don't need another.
Hits and shots blocked mean nothing to a team that needs a scorer.
Being the Leafs best defender is another who cares type ordeal when they are weak defensively.
It's not always about value. The need for a defensive defender is nowhere near as important as the need for solid, top line wingers.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I wouldn't consider it, and that isn't foolish in my opinion. There is no way I trade my young potential ppg winger for a defensive defender. There is just no freaking way. If we had someone behind him that could step in and fill is role who was young, I would consider it, but not for Schenn. I don't care at all that he leads the league in hits, I really don't, that is not a stat I see helping Columbus do anything in this league. You don't get to game sevens in the Stanley Cup finals by trading away guys like Voracek for guys like Schenn especially when you have nobody to step up and fill a void left by the departure of Voracek. I'm perfectly happy with out D corp plus Voracek compared to our D core with Schenn minus Voracek. It's just not a trade I would ever consider making.

I don't see him at all like a young Phaneuf.
We already have like 10 captains in our locker room don't need another.
Hits and shots blocked mean nothing to a team that needs a scorer.
Being the Leafs best defender is another who cares type ordeal when they are weak defensively.
It's not always about value. The need for a defensive defender is nowhere near as important as the need for solid, top line wingers.
You're genuinely crazy.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You're genuinely crazy.
You talk a lot, but never have an substance to your talk. Tell me how I'm wrong or feel free to go back to your usual *****ing about everything under the sun.

Old
03-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
You talk a lot, but never have an substance to your talk. Tell me how I'm wrong or feel free to go back to your usual *****ing about everything under the sun.
I think you're in the minority on this one.

Acquiring Schenn on our back end at the cost of Voracek certainly does make the Jackets better. We have no shortage of wingers, but have a severe shortage of quality defensemen. Savard and Moore aren't of the same caliber that Schenn is. While he isn't a prime PMD, I don't think that's necessarily our problem. Our problem is that we lack a cannon from the point and a young stud defenseman who we can build our blueline around.

A hole on the wing has always been much easier to fill than one on the backend.

Also, it's unfair to characterize Voracek as a potential PPG winger when he has yet to break 60 points.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:03 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm with Doug on this one, not that Schenn wouldn't be a fine addition, but I wouldn't move Jake for him. Look at the CBJ offensive numbers - they're offensive. Voracek is a solid, young player who has improved every season and does, indeed, have ppg potential. In my opinion, this team would not improve more by adding Schenn than it would lose by removing Jake.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I think you're in the minority on this one.

Acquiring Schenn on our back end at the cost of Voracek certainly does make the Jackets better. We have no shortage of wingers, but have a severe shortage of quality defensemen. Savard and Moore aren't of the same caliber that Schenn is. While he isn't a prime PMD, I don't think that's necessarily our problem. Our problem is that we lack a cannon from the point and a young stud defenseman who we can build our blueline around.

A hole on the wing has always been much easier to fill than one on the backend.

Also, it's unfair to characterize Voracek as a potential PPG winger when he has yet to break 60 points.
What makes you think I'm in the minority? Even if I am it doesn't matter to me. Regardless, if it is so easy to find good wingers, and we have plenty of them, then why do we have only 3 wingers with more than 40 points? Who is going to step up and replace Voracek on the top line? Schenn is really the type of player you want to lose Voracek for? I mean really, a defensive defender? Since when have defensive defenders been overly difficult to find, and why would it be necessary to build around a young one, when you can sign one in free agency that will be just as effective.

Also you don't think a prime puck moving defender is a problem area? Are you serious? You want to build around a defender who has a cannon, yet Schenn's cannon has netted him 3 goals. I mean you say it makes the Jackets better to have Schenn yet you don't actually state any reasons why the team would be better off with a defensive defender. Toronto is "building" around Schenn and yet they are worse defensively than we are, what makes you think we would have a different fate? Look I'm not trying to say Schenn sucks, I would love to have him in Columbus, but moving Jake to acquire Schenn makes us a worse team now, and in the future. Jake and Schenn on the same team...fine, but switching teams, yeah no thanks.

As to the bold part, I shouldn't have to explain what potential means, nor should I have to point out the fact that not hitting 60 points yet means nothing when your talking about a 21 year old top line forward. Trade away a potential ppg winger for a potential 30 point defender seems like the type of moves that would set the franchise back once again.