HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[MTL ]Pouliot + Weber + pick

Old
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
The two teams that Pouliot has played for are Minnesota and a conservative system under Montreal with Jacques Martin. I think under a different team, he might show some of that potential of a high draft pick so some team should take a chance. But isnít he a UFA at the end of the season or still an RFA?
Except he played in a much more wide open system for the season pre-trade to Montreal. He still looked lost.

Pouliot never should have been drafted as high as he was, all things considered. The elevator doesn't really go to the top floor with him.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Except he played in a much more wide open system for the season pre-trade to Montreal. He still looked lost.

Pouliot never should have been drafted as high as he was, all things considered. The elevator doesn't really go to the top floor with him.
Habs are still thankful for being able to acquire him for La Grosse Tendresse.

Pouliot is a difficult player to evaluate. I still think he needs to mature a bit more, he's like a good wine. In my opinion, he has the tools to become a 35+ goal scorer and could become one earlier than everyone thinks.

He really needs to work on his balance though. He's a beautiful and effortless skater but he's still too easy to knock off the puck. His shot is probably his strongest point but it'd be way more effective if, again, he was stronger on his skates.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Habs are still thankful for being able to acquire him for La Grosse Tendresse.

Pouliot is a difficult player to evaluate. I still think he needs to mature a bit more, he's like a good wine. In my opinion, he has the tools to become a 35+ goal scorer and could become one earlier than everyone thinks.

He really needs to work on his balance though. He's a beautiful and effortless skater but he's still too easy to knock off the puck. His shot is probably his strongest point but it'd be way more effective if, again, he was stronger on his skates.
Meh, I'd rather have Latendresse. The Habs jumped the gun with him. Not that I think he would be dramatically better than Pouliot, but he wasn't going to be as bad as his mega-slump level at the time of the trade either. Anyway, we got back a player in Pouliot who has been as-good/a-bit-better than the-Latendresse-we-had. But I just think that Latendresse could still have been salvaged as a Hab and is/will be/would-have-been-before-injuries more than a-bit-better than Pouliot.

Minor details, though. Pouliot is not ever going to score 35 goals. But he has been a decent player for us overall. Latendresse will probably be a better player, but he was playing sub-decent for us, so it probably works out ok in the end. Especially given that Pouliot's little post-trade scoring spree helped us in a tight race to make the playoffs last year. The whole deal might have been worthwhile just based on that one little scoring spree.

Works out great for the Wild, presuming Latendresse comes back at his pre-injury level.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
This would have got you Dustin Penner, IMHO.

If the pick was a 1st
Counter... Gomez for Paajarvi + 2nd + Smid.

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Meh, I'd rather have Latendresse. The Habs jumped the gun with him. Not that I think he would be dramatically better than Pouliot, but he wasn't going to be as bad as his mega-slump level at the time of the trade either. Anyway, we got back a player in Pouliot who has been as-good/a-bit-better than the-Latendresse-we-had. But I just think that Latendresse could still have been salvaged as a Hab and is/will be/would-have-been-before-injuries more than a-bit-better than Pouliot.

Minor details, though. Pouliot is not ever going to score 35 goals. But he has been a decent player for us overall. Latendresse will probably be a better player, but he was playing sub-decent for us, so it probably works out ok in the end. Especially given that Pouliot's little post-trade scoring spree helped us in a tight race to make the playoffs last year. The whole deal might have been worthwhile just based on that one little scoring spree.

Works out great for the Wild, presuming Latendresse comes back at his pre-injury level.
I still think this is his upside, but I wouldn't bet much on it. Pouliot is both mentally and physically soft which are the main reasons why it'll be extremely difficult for him to produce like a true sniper. Because in terms of raw talent, he has what it takes, IMO (except for that balance issue he really needs to work on).

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:49 AM
WestIslander

To Pittsburgh: Benoit Pouliot + Yannick Weber + 1st round draft pick in 2011
To Montreal: Dustin Jeffrey + Simon Despres

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness