HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How many of you right handed player shoot left handed?

Old
03-15-2011, 10:41 AM
theguru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Same here.

theguru, that's not true at all. As mentioned before, it's the technique that matters, not brute strength. Plus I see the bottom hand as more of a pivot point more than the source of the power.

And Kings, I've seen plenty of people say (people as well as articles) that Canada is about 70% left-handed in hockey while the US is about 70% right-handed. Seems to me that since hockey is rarely a first sport for anyone in the States, everyone seems to think you play the same as other swinging sports (namely baseball and golf). Once you play for a short while I doubt it matters, you'll be just as good either way with practice.
sure technique is a big part of taking a shot but standing still and shooting pucks almost all the power is generated from your lower wrist and shoulder. i can't see any reason for your top hand to be the dominant one? how difficult really is it to hold a stick?

theguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:19 AM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

I am right hand dominant (writing, throwing, ping pong etc.), but I shoot left in hockey, as well as swing left in baseball and golf.

In tennis I am right handed but if I am using two hands for a return I swing left, as I do in baseball.

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
BamBamCam*

My Mite coach pulled my stick out of my hand and made me switch to left.

Not sure where that poll came from, most of the players I play with in the US are lefties also.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:45 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
My Mite coach pulled my stick out of my hand and made me switch to left.

Not sure where that poll came from, most of the players I play with in the US are lefties also.
Right handed, shoot left... most people do, which is why I think most places stock more left handed sticks than right.

I do golf, swing a bat and tennis racket right handed.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:56 AM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
Right handed, shoot left... most people do, which is why I think most places stock more left handed sticks than right.

I do golf, swing a bat and tennis racket right handed.
Was reading that post that said 60% of the sticks stocked in the US are right and 60% in CND were left.

Old
03-15-2011, 12:55 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguru View Post
sure technique is a big part of taking a shot but standing still and shooting pucks almost all the power is generated from your lower wrist and shoulder. i can't see any reason for your top hand to be the dominant one? how difficult really is it to hold a stick?
It's more for stick handling, if you're stick handling properly almost all of the control comes from your top hand, I think the idea is that anyone can learn to power through a shot with either hand, but for stick handling it's nice to have the dominant hand controlling things.

With that being said, I have noticed that a lot of the best shooters in the league shoot right (and I assume are also right handed?). Guys like Kessel, Semin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kovalchuk, Kesler, Sharp, Iginla, etc. all shoot right. I think in general the majority of guys who make you say "wow, this guy is an unreal shooter" shoot right, even though the majority of NHLers in general shoot left. So in summary, I think having your dominant hand on the bottom is better for shooting, but having your dominant hand on top is better for stick handling. Either way though, once you get used to one hand or the other you'll eventually get good at everything, no point in switching once you're used to doing it one way. It's clearly not a big advantage one way or the other, since it's not even done a uniform way in the NHL (more guys go dominant hand on top, but many still go dominant hand on the bottom).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:21 PM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
It's more for stick handling, if you're stick handling properly almost all of the control comes from your top hand, I think the idea is that anyone can learn to power through a shot with either hand, but for stick handling it's nice to have the dominant hand controlling things.

With that being said, I have noticed that a lot of the best shooters in the league shoot right (and I assume are also right handed?). Guys like Kessel, Semin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kovalchuk, Kesler, Sharp, Iginla, etc. all shoot right. I think in general the majority of guys who make you say "wow, this guy is an unreal shooter" shoot right, even though the majority of NHLers in general shoot left. So in summary, I think having your dominant hand on the bottom is better for shooting, but having your dominant hand on top is better for stick handling. Either way though, once you get used to one hand or the other you'll eventually get good at everything, no point in switching once you're used to doing it one way. It's clearly not a big advantage one way or the other, since it's not even done a uniform way in the NHL (more guys go dominant hand on top, but many still go dominant hand on the bottom).
I practiced both ways growing up. I am better with a left handed stick, but can stickhandle and shoot close to as good right handed. In fact, actually training myself to stickhandle and shoot right handed has paid GREAT dividends for my lefthanded stickhandling ability. In drop in I can play both hands, which is fun to sometimes switch your handedness during a play. Has its advantages too I must say.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Pog Form

I am right handed. I shoot left in hockey, bat left in baseball, and golf lefthanded as well.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
noobman

A lot of Russian players shoot the same as their handedness and For whatever reason a lot of US players seem to shoot right too. It probably has something to do with how hockey is taught in those places.

A lot of the guys I know are lefty in hockey and righty in *everything* else. I'm also a lefty in golf, baseball, and on the guitar (okay, okay... Guitar Hero).

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Joe Cole

I am right handed, but play hockey, golf and swing the baseball bat lefty. (and I play "real" guitar ^with the pick in the right hand, left on the neck)

Seems totally normal to me.

I am definately a power shooter as opposed to a stick handler.

What amazes me is guys that play hockey left, and golf right... makes no sense to me. Weight transfer is weight transfer....no?

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:26 PM
don28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
...What amazes me is guys that play hockey left, and golf right... makes no sense to me. Weight transfer is weight transfer....no?
Right-handed in writing, can throw better right than left, bat from both sides, and play golf left-handed. I don't understand how people play hockey left-handed and golf right-handed either. I felt so odd playing golf my first time right-handed that I turned the club around to play it left-handed and immediately knew that would be better.

don28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
Actually found this. Pretty interesting.

http://hfboards.com/poll.php?do=show...s&pollid=30947

Also found an article saying 60% of sticks in the US are right and 60% of Canadian and European sticks are left and I'm assuming 60% of Canadians aren't left handed.
Canadians for some reason if you write with your right hand, are more likely to shoot with your left. Americans - if you write with your right hand, are more likely to shoot with your right and vice versa.

I think that if the first time you play is not on an organized hockey team, the way you pick up your first stick is the way it will be for the rest of your life. It's just a sub-conscious thought of what's more comfortable. I didn't play hockey seriously until I was about 12. I picked up a stick and it was right, I'm a natural rightie for everything so it just felt better.

However, lots of hockey coaches think that shooting with your opposite writing hand is the correct way to shoot.

Me - I write with my right hand, and shoot right-handed. So the American way. :3

Last edited by Reverend Mayhem: 03-15-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:07 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
if you can call what I do on the ice sooting I do it left handed. I am a switch hitter in baseball (Base hitter either hand too) Golf right.

My son is a right handed goalie and insists on shooting right when playing out.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Skraut

A co-worker and I play on the same team. Both of us are "right handed" in everything else, but in hockey he shoots right, I shoot left.

What is interesting is that when we work out in the company gym, he can bench press a lot more than I can, and I can pull a lot more than he can.

He generates power on his shots by pushing his lower hand. I generate power on my shot by pulling back on my top hand, and using my lower hand as a fulcrum.

Different strokes for different folks.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by don28 View Post
Right-handed in writing, can throw better right than left, bat from both sides, and play golf left-handed. I don't understand how people play hockey left-handed and golf right-handed either. I felt so odd playing golf my first time right-handed that I turned the club around to play it left-handed and immediately knew that would be better.
I seriously think that it is a rare talent to be some versatile. Wow! I wish I had that much symetry.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Nakket

Hockey: Lefty
Throwing anything: Righty
Batting: Right, but I can bat left
Golf: Right
Writing: Right

Pretty much everything else: Right

So basically hockey is the only time I do anything left handed. More oddly enough, if I had to pitch sidearm/underarm, I would choose right, and seeing as this is probably somewhat close to the follow through motion of shooting a slapshot it seems weird.

I can tell you right now that if I had to shoot right handed I would fail miserably

Nakket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:02 PM
roaddogg02316

I'm right handed for everything but hockey. Golf, writing, baseball. I remember as a kid I went to grab a stick at a cheap discount store, grabbed one that I got home and it was lefthanded. I just got use to it basically. It was actually just more comfortable so I guess the dominant hand on top thing makes sense.

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I shoot left and do everything else right. I wasn't even told which way to shoot, that just felt more natural to me (I was like 8 years old)

IMO the terms "shoot left" and "shoot right" should be changed. They are misnomers. Not sure what they could be called instead though

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:36 PM
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars

I'm left handed, shoot/bat/golf right handed.

My little brother is right handed, shoots/bats/golfs left handed. Go figure.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 07:46 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Hockey: Right
Throwing anything: Right
Batting: Right
Golf: Right
Writing: Right

Billiard: Aim right, left hand gives the power
Guitar: pick in left hand, right hand in fingerboard
Shooting: pistol right handed, rifles left hand pull the trigger

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I shoot left now, after having spent quite a few years righty, (and being naturally right-handed).

Lefty is x1000 better IMO. When I had my favored hand closer to the blade, I ended up tiring myself out much quicker. At least the way it works for me, shooting lefty distributed the overall workload much more evenly.

The only other thing I tend to go southpaw for is opening jars. No idea why.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:06 AM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Canadians for some reason if you write with your right hand, are more likely to shoot with your left. Americans - if you write with your right hand, are more likely to shoot with your right and vice versa.

I think that if the first time you play is not on an organized hockey team, the way you pick up your first stick is the way it will be for the rest of your life. It's just a sub-conscious thought of what's more comfortable. I didn't play hockey seriously until I was about 12. I picked up a stick and it was right, I'm a natural rightie for everything so it just felt better.

However, lots of hockey coaches think that shooting with your opposite writing hand is the correct way to shoot.

Me - I write with my right hand, and shoot right-handed. So the American way. :3
Unless the times have changed I don't agree. Or maybe it is in traditional hockey markets that we were taught the correct way which is left shoot for righties.

If you are right handed you should shoot left, all of us were taught that at a young age in the leagues I played in. I did play in the higher or elite leagues as a youth, maybe that is a factor, I dunno?

Old
03-18-2011, 02:38 AM
prorobo

Send a message via AIM to prorobo
A recent article in The Hockey News said something like 65% of the NHL shooters shot lefty (right handed) so I'd imagine the general population would favor the left side as well. Shoot blocker!

prorobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

<_< See my original post for the explanation? It's because if you have the strong hand on the top of your stick you have more overall control over the puck in general. Stick handling, for the most part. Shots are almost all dependent on your technique and weight transfer so it really shouldn't matter how strong your hand stabilizing the blade is (to a point.)

What does matter is controlling the puck and you do most of that with your top hand (in which case most people are taught to use their strong hand for better control.)

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 10:03 AM
LarryO

How do you know if you're really naturally right or left-handed? A lot of children are taught to write with their right hands even though they might be naturally left-handed. That sure throws a monkey wrench into the machinery for determining what your dominant hand is.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote