The sabres didn't get many quality chances at all. A lot of the shots were low percentage wristers into his chest. Even the "best" save of the game was just a pad save on a rolling puck along the ice. Any NHL goaltender stops that.
McCormick's shot was better than that. And really, their O wasn't much better short of two breakaways.
Him calling Mark Mancari a good skater was the last straw for me. He's clearly just making things up.
Versus was about 5 x worse than usual. In fact, the only Sabre he talked about regularly was Mancari. Listen, we get it. 3rd in the AHL in scoring. If you did your homework before the game you'd know the book on Mancari is already out. Not enough heart, takes dumb penalties, and needed Grier's help to skate out of the paper bag he woke up in this morning.
Having to listen to Versus just made this loss ten times worse. I hate the Hurricanes. oh and aside from Miller this might have been one of the worse performances of the season. I think.
The Good news, still in 8th. 2 pts ahead of Carolina with same amount of games, 2 pts behind Rags playing 1 fewer games. oh and Miller was good. Very good I thought. In fact, the way he's come back from his last two scheduled nights off makes me feel like having a reliable backup IS the key to Miller being a top 10 goalie in this league in the future.
- Ward and Miller. Miller had the harder chances and came up with some steller saves. Ward had a lot to the outside and was very calming for the 'Canes.
- Myers. I haven't checked the ToI, but he was one of the few Sabres skating, taking the body and doing much of anything after the first period.
- Mancari putting Ruutu on his ass after Ruutu ran Sekera.
The Bad -
- So many opportunities, so few good chances.
- Their passing was off most of the night.
- PP retrievals and motion were almost non-existent.
- The Niedermayer goalie interference penalty was... dubious at best.
The Ugly -
- Montador left us with a flashback to last year's Western road trip tonight. He was beyond bad.
- As bad as Kaleta has played of late, they missed the element of physical play he ignites in the team. Too many times people pealed off rather than finish a check. I'm not looking for board-rattling hits, just finish a hit and knock your man down. Myers did it. Weber had a few moments, as did Gaustad. But the rest of the team was woefully unprepared or unwilling for any sort of physical game.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Long time lurker (3+ years) deciding to start posting on here. With that said, this may have been the most frustrating game to watch all season partly due to performance and partly due to the game being broadcast on Versus. I thought Myers, Miller, and Ennis all played a solid game while the rest of the team has yet to show up. The effort just wasn't there and I can't imagine the same roster we witnessed tonight doing anything in the playoffs, that is assuming we even make it.
Also, whoever coaches the powerplay for this team needs to be relieved of his job immediately.