HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chokejob

Old
03-15-2011, 10:50 PM
CrankyJay

vCash: 500
This is the third or fourth time since we have gotten Montador that he has lost an edge and risked giving up a goal. Is he a crappy skater or is the Sabres equipment manager stupid?

Look here, Montador falls like an idiot versus the Canes last year to give up a goal in OT (5:50 mark):

Last edited by CrankyJay: 03-15-2011 at 10:56 PM.
CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Man, judging from some of these responses you would've thought we got completely steamrolled tonight. It was one of the must frustrating games I've watched all season. They seemed to be just a tick off all night but as a whole they didn't play bad. I mean anytime you get 40 shots on goal you must of played atleast half-decent, though I'm not sure where half of those shots game from.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:55 PM
barcs

Ennis was all over the place in the offensive zone and created often I thought. He didn't look like Afinogenov.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:56 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
This is the third or fourth time since we have gotten Montador that he has lost an edge and risked giving up a goal. Is he a crappy skater or is the Sabres equipment manager stupid?

Look here, Montador falls like an idiot versus the Canes last year to give up a goal in OT:

Was there for that. ****ing horrible.

I think that might have been the game where we gave up the 4-on-1 too.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:57 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post

Look here, Montador falls like an idiot versus the Canes last year to give up a goal in OT (5:50 mark):

That was a hellish stretch of games for Monty I remember.

Old
03-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If they squeeze one of their first period chances through, this is probably a different end result as the Sabres could've settled back into a more passive, less taxing 1-2-2 or 1-4 and counterpunched (much like the Canes did, getting a couple of breakaways out of it). The injury bug hasn't helped, some of those guys were clearly gassed. I was surprised Leopold had 27 minutes tonight and Myers only 24. When two or three guys are still going after the first, there isn't a lot to work with. Ennis was going, Myers was too. Gerbe had some jump, but was also spending a fair amount of time stirring the pot. I thought Gaustad was moving himself as hard as he could out there... but beyond that, the rest looked really freaking gassed.

Butler should be a no-brainer for the next game. It allows Ruff to split Myers and Sekera, so he can get the puck-rushing split between two pairs. Montador had a horrible night. Morrisonn wasn't very good but was better than Monty.

03-15-2011, 11:00 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Ennis was all over the place in the offensive zone and created often I thought. He didn't look like Afinogenov.
Not calling out you, but I still don't get why Afinogenov catches so much **** around here. He led the team in points in 05-06, was great in 06-07 (remember the winning goal against the Rangers after Drury tied it up?), and he really just never recovered from the wrist injury he got that year. Sure, the last couple years were tough, but he was a key component of two pretty damn good seasons.

And Ennis is going to be something special if he can keep making improvements in his game like he has been lately. Next year could really be a breakout year for him.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Maybe we should flood the suggestion box with anti-VS thoughts. I wonder if Pegula and Co. Can do anything from their end.
Suggestion box. don't give the league nothing but prime dates for arena scheduling so your stuck playing 10 games in 14 nights including 7 of them being on the road.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresOfBuffalo View Post
Long time lurker (3+ years) deciding to start posting on here. With that said, this may have been the most frustrating game to watch all season partly due to performance and partly due to the game being broadcast on Versus. I thought Myers, Miller, and Ennis all played a solid game while the rest of the team has yet to show up. The effort just wasn't there and I can't imagine the same roster we witnessed tonight doing anything in the playoffs, that is assuming we even make it.

Also, whoever coaches the powerplay for this team needs to be relieved of his job immediately.

to hfboards!

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Vito_81

Losing 1-0 in a huge game like tonight is disgraceful.

However, taking a bigger look at things. The guys were dog tired out there and it was painfully obvious. Can't really be too upset considering they've had zero rest. These next 3 days off will feel like another all-star break for Buffalo compared to how their schedule's been for the past 2-3 weeks.

I expect them to be refreshed and totally dominate Atlanta Saturday.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:10 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Not calling out you, but I still don't get why Afinogenov catches so much **** around here. He led the team in points in 05-06, was great in 06-07 (remember the winning goal against the Rangers after Drury tied it up?), and he really just never recovered from the wrist injury he got that year. Sure, the last couple years were tough, but he was a key component of two pretty damn good seasons.

And Ennis is going to be something special if he can keep making improvements in his game like he has been lately. Next year could really be a breakout year for him.
In my opinion he became a caricature of himself in the slug uniform and for me and many others he'll be remembered as a guy whose hands, feet and brain were never going at the same speed.

Old
03-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
So true. A lot of people think that the reason this team has turned itself around is because of Roy. I disagree. I think if we had Roy, we'd be in 6th place right now ahead of Montreal.

Roy usually shows up when the rest of our offense ***** the bed in games like this. For example, the first game of the season.
28 pts in 23 career games vs Carolina.

Nevermind, I forgot, we'd be in 14th place if he didn't get hurt.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:15 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Whatta joke. Thanks for crapping out the night I brought my girlfriend to the game for her birthday and Snow Patrol was played for her like I requested. ####s.

Last edited by Chainshot: 03-15-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Filter
mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:18 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Killa Cam Ward living up to his nickname

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Maybe we should flood the suggestion box with anti-VS thoughts. I wonder if Pegula and Co. Can do anything from their end.
versus is horrid. they have a crush on mancari. no one else does in the nhl

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:20 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post

Everybody just remembers the end for Max where he struggled, not when he was one of our best players. When people say Ennis looks like Max, I always just take it as "Bad Max," not "good Max."

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I was watching the '06 Sabres/Canes playoff games earlier today to pump myself up for tonight's game too (only the games we won though). At some points in the night during this game I was closing my eyes and pretending Briere stepped on the ice .

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:23 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Tight dual. Warn played great. Vanek made a great move and missed the net. Miller was solid and goal on him was a rebound three Sabres watched.
I don't have a big problem with the game tonight. There was a lot of effort, just couldn't buy one.
I will say Montador is looking darned tired these days.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Havok89

Eh I hate to admit it but i'd rather the top 10 pick and start over next year than another first round exit.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:04 AM
aceface33

I know the game sucked. But as a STH in the 300 level for 6 years now it meant a lot to me to see Pegula sitting in what are basically the same seats I have 3 sections over. I think it was only for the first but the fact that he would actually come out of his box and hang with the 300 level denizens during the game is awesome.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:06 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

http://wgr550.com/topic/play_window....udioId=5212347
Starts at about 1:50-2:00

"We had looked at the game before where they had nine power plays and said 'Don't be hitting anybody'"

Yayyyy!

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:38 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Everybody just remembers the end for Max where he struggled, not when he was one of our best players. When people say Ennis looks like Max, I always just take it as "Bad Max," not "good Max."
or people remember all of the years pre-lockout where max was just as frustrating to watch as in the last years... the guy had all the skills, but couldn't put it together consistently enough to develop chemistry with line mates, etc... he was also a very selfish player when he fell into bad habits... could be he electric when he was on his game? yes. but more often than not he was stick handling himself into a corner and not playing the system, or any system, for that matter.

he could produce, sure, but he definitely played himself out of the league...

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:58 AM
sabresfan129103

looking at the Sabres schedule on their web site it says that the March 30th game against the Rangers is on VS as well. Can some tell me why we have so many ****ing games on VS. How about they pick up the national feed and block it out locally and then MSG do a normal TV broadcast for the locals. I ****ing hate games on VS!!!!

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:14 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
looking at the Sabres schedule on their web site it says that the March 30th game against the Rangers is on VS as well. Can some tell me why we have so many ****ing games on VS. How about they pick up the national feed and block it out locally and then MSG do a normal TV broadcast for the locals. I ****ing hate games on VS!!!!
Because we're #2 in terms of local TV ratings, behind only the Pittsburgh Penguins, and the Buffalo market always draws well nationally (see the gold medal game last year; #1 in terms of ratings in the United States).

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Moskau

Kind of surprised we didn't lose 5-0 or 6-0 with 70 goal scorer JEFF SKINNER on their team.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote