HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Kings' Player is Most Improved?

View Poll Results: Who is the most improved Kings' player this season?
Bernier 2 3.17%
Lewis 21 33.33%
Clifford 4 6.35%
Martinez 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Which Kings' Player is Most Improved?

Interesting piece by Hammond today. It's not any easy choice.

Who is most improved?

I am going to say Martinez, and that might make him trade bait at the draft. A lot depends on how well Voynov plays for the Monarchs in the playoffs.

Last edited by KINGS17: 03-15-2011 at 03:23 PM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:35 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Interesting piece by Hammond today. It's not any easy choice.

Who is most improved?

I am going to say Martinez, and that might make him trade bait at the draft. A lot depends on how well Voynov plays for the Monarchs in the playoffs.
Agree that it's Martinez but disagree that he is now trade bait. Martinez plays a lot like Kyle Quincey when he was on this team and I remember how much folks around here missed him when he was traded. He's reliable, gets shots through, and comes cheap - perfect for the 3rd pairing, which is all we really have room for in the foreseeable future. But hey, nothing stopping Voynov or Hickey from outplaying him in camp.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:43 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Lewis for me.

He's turned into a great 4th line center and he's still young. Has shown great speed and his role on the PK makes him valuable to the team. Now he just needs to learn how to finish when he gets his chances.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Homunculous

No JJ??

Homunculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:51 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Most improved to me is Lewis. He looked like he was going to only ever be an additional player to an NHL roster but has turned his chance at the bigs into a springboard to making himself a solid bottom 6 player. As the season has gone on he has been steadily improving.

I think its Lewis but A Mart is a great kid who has yet to play up to his full potential and has had a really impressive season.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I think Johnson has to get some consideration for most improved player. But Lewis is obviously a great choice.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:07 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Kopitar's defensive improvement is worth noting.

Another player who improved this year is Quick.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:12 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... All of these guys are rookies. Not sure what you're trying to get at here, looking for "most improved" among players who hadn't really done anything in the NHL prior to this season.

Pretty obvious that the actual most improved player on the Kings is Justin Williams.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Kopitar was my first thought as to most improved but given the scope of the question I went with one of the suggested nominee's.

Old
03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
123slam

Honestly, I'd choose JJ. Sure, Martinez and Lewis have improved, but they really didn't have roles on the team beforehand (which is remarkable in itself), but Jack has shut up so many doubters from before the season started. He's vastly improved from the start of the season too and has rounded himself out to be a solid defenseman at his young age. Plus, he's leading defenseman in points, which I believe a couple people predicted before the season. Just my 2 cents.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Lanius

Guys like Lewis, Bernier etc are right where I thought they would be.

I'm going off the board: Anze Kopitar.

He morphed from a soft, one-dimensional goal scorer into a legitimate 2-way player since Murray took over. I don't think he's getting enough recognition for it this season, as it's been undoubtedly his best. Scoring inconsistencies haven't stopped him from being a PPG player either.

Jack Johnson is another one to consider.

Lanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:27 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Among those listed, Lewis. He's become such a value PK'er and has made the 4th line competent even with Westgarth.

But their are a plethora of other guys who would be more deserving.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Lewis

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Some good points made for Jack Johnson I think, but in terms of where the player was at this time last season I would still have to go with Martinez, Lewis, and Clifford as showing the most development over the last year.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Whiskeypete

1- AMart: kid came in unexpected and has completely helped to settle the D roster. if not for him the #6 spot would have been a revolving door all season imo (DD, AMart, Muzzin). has put in solid minutes and is seeing increased responsibilities on special teams. i still see AMart as a viable draft day trade candidate. his success this season makes his value very high compared to most of the D prospects in MAN. AMart has done this at the NHL level, not in the AHL. the question is if DL takes a chance and trades him for a pick/prospect he covets, while hoping (or better knowing) that one of the MAN kids can replace AMart at the same level.

2- Lewis: has also expanded his role from the #4 C to being an asset on the PK. has been the key stabilizing component on the fourth line as TMu has constantly jockeyed his linemates all season. the one issue i have with the fourth line is their production. Lewis only has 8 pts (2G, 6A) on the season and is -10. while the +/- is good for a #4 the pts need to push into the 15 to 30 pt range. hopefully next season with some better stability on the line and experience this will happen.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 06:26 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

A Mart wasn't completely unexpected, there were people here who knew he had the goods. The fact that he is exceeding those expectations and looking like he might just end up becoming a 3/4 pmd type down the road is somewhat surprising but not entirely unexpected in my opinion.

As for Lewis I think that he has had a good rookie season and look forward to seeing what he can bring to the table during this years playoffs and next years regular season.

Old
03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

If we are talking about since the beginning of this season, Lewis and Martinez have improved the most imo. I'm going to give Martinez the edge though since he didn't make the team out of camp and now is on the team and contributing quite a bit. Trevor Lewis has probably been the biggest surprise for me though. With guys like Moller, Loktionov and Parse ahead of him on the depth chart going into in training camp, I assumed he would be in Manchester all year again. I guess it helps that he can play a role those other 3 can't. I have a feeling he is gonna be a late bloomer and eventually be a pretty relaible 3rd/4th liner that has more of a scoring touch. He skates like the wind and has a good shot when he finds himself in space. He just needs to put it all together.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:43 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Lewis looked like a bust for all intents and purposes. Now he's a solid addition to the team.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:45 PM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Martinez. Didn't want to see him in a Kings uniform ever again prior to this season.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Nex06

Tough to decide between Martinez and Lewis. It's true that Lewis looked like a bust and his call up was his "last chance" to prove himself before he is ditched forever, but Martinez on the other hand managed to look good amongst a very competitive defensive core that Kings had.

I guess the answer to this question is the most important one: "Before the season started, did you have easier time to imagine this:
4th line C, 11 mpg, 60 gp, 2+6=6, -11 for Lewis
or
#6 Dman, 11mpg, 48 gp, 5+8 = 13, +6 for Martinez

Martinez just looks better to me, I'm voting for him.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Poni.

Lewis and Marrinez have been solid all season. Poni has turned into a beast.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Poni.

Lewis and Marrinez have been solid all season. Poni has turned into a beast.
Well, I think it was meant as most improved from previous season(s) or am I wrong? Poni has 44 goals and 101 points from last two seasons. Without his latest resurrection I have a feeling that Ponikarovsky would be one of the 4 options in a "Most disappointing King 2010/11?" poll.

Old
03-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Well, I think it was meant as most improved from previous season(s) or am I wrong? Poni has 44 goals and 101 points from last two seasons. Without his latest resurrection I have a feeling that Ponikarovsky would be one of the 4 options in a "Most disappointing King 2010/11?" poll.
Lewis, Clifford and Martinez weren't on the Kings either. I think Hammond was going with who has improved the most from training camp.

From last year's team, you have to go with Williams since he is healthy. Jack still has a lot to learn on defense. Once he figures out that possession of the puck is more important than positioning, his +/- will improve. Jack is still the worst on the Kings and the only regular defenseman who is a minus player.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Lewis, Clifford and Martinez weren't on the Kings either. I think Hammond was going with who has improved the most from training camp.
Yeah, something like that. Still if Kopitar had 10 points in first 42 games and 60 points in last 42 I would have been pretty disappointed, no chance for "most improved" title. In my opinion Poni was disappointing for most of the season. Not terribly disappointing because I haven't been expecting much from him. But still disappointing. In my eyes, he is saving his season now, but he has been capable of playing like that in previous seasons so he can't get the most improved vote from me.

I agree with you about Johnson. Call me overly optimistic, but I think that he will get better every year for next 3-4 years. It's not about the skills, only about reading the game and decision making. He still has a potential to be a star in his prime. Perhaps he will be the "Most improved King 2009-2014?"

Old
03-15-2011, 10:52 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Next year it will either be Muzzin or Hickey getting their walk up to the NHL. I see the same amount of improvement in JM's game as I did in A Mart's before the start of this season and think it is easily time. Of course Hickey could astonish in camp and bump him but I would be surprised.