HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Penner

Old
03-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I totally forgot about that one!

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:08 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Who wants to go the Edmonton forum and start the "Penner Has Been Awesome For Us" thread?
I lol'd, classic.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
oilphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Who wants to go the Edmonton forum and start the "Penner Has Been Awesome For Us" thread?
No need...everyone on our board was sad to see him go and knew that he would be awesome for you. My guess is that the reaction would be positive and the Oiler board would be happy for him. He is one of those players that can change a game in a subtle way, so he evades the attention of someone with "better moves". The Oilers are just too many years away from being good enough for him to make a difference.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:06 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
No need...everyone on our board was sad to see him go and knew that he would be awesome for you. My guess is that the reaction would be positive and the Oiler board would be happy for him. He is one of those players that can change a game in a subtle way, so he evades the attention of someone with "better moves". The Oilers are just too many years away from being good enough for him to make a difference.
But with the talented pool of forwards that you guys have once you do get the rest of the team together you are going to be scary good and fun to watch again.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:54 PM
the word*

Big body with skill that's impossible to knock of the puck down low. Just as advertised.

Like I said before the trade, just because he doesn't dish out the big hits, it doesn't mean hes not physical. Hope you guys are having fun watching players bounce of the D-train on a nightly basis. Chara couldn't handle him on the forecheck/cycle.

All that and hes a 30 goal scorer that's durable as they come. Just as advertised.

It was a shrewd pickup when everyone else in the west did basically nothing at the deadline.

I think King fans can officially stop worrying about the play-off race, you guys are in, and comfortably so, probably with home ice.

The poster that started the 'down with the Kings' thread sure put the double whammy on us.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 01:02 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Big body with skill that's impossible to knock of the puck down low. Just as advertised.

Like I said before the trade, just because he doesn't dish out the big hits, it doesn't mean hes not physical. Hope you guys are having fun watching players bounce of the D-train on a nightly basis. Chara couldn't handle him on the forecheck/cycle.

All that and hes a 30 goal scorer that's durable as they come. Just as advertised.

It was a shrewd pickup when everyone else in the west did basically nothing at the deadline.

I think King fans can officially stop worrying about the play-off race, you guys are in, and comfortably so, probably with home ice.

The poster that started the 'down with the Kings' thread sure put the double whammy on us.
Maybe but at least this draft you will pick up your legit #1 dman. There are actually a couple that really like that you guys might be able to pick. First pick if you get it is obvious but after that Boy-you is a good one too who I think will be a top pairing guy in the NHL in a couple of year.

You guys will be golden and our 1st this year might help you get there that much quicker regardless of how Tuebert turns out which I think he will turn into an NHL caliber D man before too long.

It works for both of us so well. Penz has been on a point per game streak since he got here but if you look at how Kopitar has turned up his game since his arrival it is an excellent fit.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 02:04 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I for one am glad that we don't have to focus on that we don't have to focus on the draft and make it the center of attention as we have in past years. Properly drafting and developing players has enabled the Kings to take some risks and make some moves that they have to make.

Look at how many first round draft picks Detroit has had pan out since the mid 90s. Most of their top players have come outside of the first round, and that is something the Kings' scouting staff has been able to identify with players like Simmonds, Martinez, Clifford, Loktionov, Voynov, Toffoli, etc.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post

Another spy trying to jinx us!!

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Penner SUCKS

I'm sorry, but if this guy can't sack up at this point in the season and put in a solid effort, then bench his ass. Pathetic performance by this dude...

We should take a poll, how many Kings fans would still do this trade after seeing this guy perform the last month....

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:46 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Okay.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
winning

winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Rizer
Registered dissident

He hasn't fit into the team yet, but if he does, it will be magic.

I'd be more worried about the fact the Kings are one of the worst teams on the PP in the NHL. Even so bad, that I think most teams look forward to a Kings PP so they can potentially get a SH goal or at least look forward to 2 minutes of soft shots and indecision.

Rizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:51 PM
ShattStar03

I'm officially off the Penner wagon, the guy sucks. I never saw such a waste of assets to get this guy.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

What assets? We gave up a player who will never play for our big club and a first. This may surprise some of you guys, but for a first round pick and that kind of secondary asset, you may get something great and you may not. What I see in Penner is a guy who doesn't know where to go. A guy not remotely acclimated to his linemates or the system. A guy who is caught between defense and offense. Second, if Penner wasn't this kind of player, the organization would've had to give up a hell of a lot more to get him.

Blame the coach for the linemate problem. Can't really blame anyone for Penner having to adjust to the system with all these different linemates. As such can't blame him for his indecisive play either. With a 3rd line center and an AHL player as a player's linemate, you are really taking risks with the kind of production you can get out of that player.

Old
04-09-2011, 12:03 AM
winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Blame the coach for the linemate problem.

winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Too much Penner hate. It took Kopitar almost a year to get Murray's crappy system down and he has way more skill than Penner.

How much did Kopitar produce with King as his LW? How much did Kopitar produce with Penner as his LW?

I'm still hoping that Murray will see the light this off season and figure out that possession is the key to a solid two-way game. The Kings have the defense and goaltending to play an up tempo style.

I just hope Schenn can pick up the system quickly enough to replace Handzus and add some creativity.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:04 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
What assets? We gave up a player who will never play for our big club and a first. This may surprise some of you guys, but for a first round pick and that kind of secondary asset, you may get something great and you may not. What I see in Penner is a guy who doesn't know where to go. A guy not remotely acclimated to his linemates or the system. A guy who is caught between defense and offense. Second, if Penner wasn't this kind of player, the organization would've had to give up a hell of a lot more to get him.

Blame the coach for the linemate problem. Can't really blame anyone for Penner having to adjust to the system with all these different linemates. As such can't blame him for his indecisive play either. With a 3rd line center and an AHL player as a player's linemate, you are really taking risks with the kind of production you can get out of that player.
Not too sure about that. Teubert is still very young and was buried in our D prospect depth chart. I still think Teubert will be a solid nhler in a few years.

As for Penner...he may be good as Brian Boyle someday.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:06 AM
ShattStar03

Quote:

Assets:

Defensive prospect (a first rounder)
a first round pick
and a third round pick

for a guy who only scored 2 goals in 16 games and who is as soft as Frolov in the offensive zone. That's a waste of assets. Say all you want but you just can't polish a turd.

Old
04-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Dawdler

from what I gather Penner is playing so bad that no matter what assets were given up it was a waste, am I right?

Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:09 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Too much Penner hate. It took Kopitar almost a year to get Murray's crappy system down and he has way more skill than Penner.

How much did Kopitar produce with King as his LW? How much did Kopitar produce with Penner as his LW?

I'm still hoping that Murray will see the light this off season and figure out that possession is the key to a solid two-way game. The Kings have the defense and goaltending to play an up tempo style.

I just hope Schenn can pick up the system quickly enough to replace Handzus and add some creativity.
You blame too much on the system. Heck if it takes new players that long to acclimate to TM's system, why bother trading for anyone by the trade deadline?

Bottomline for Penner is that he's not TM's type of player. Penner's got the skills but he needs the heart of a Clifford to make TM happy.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:10 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

it's funny how you clowns who hate on Penner are probably the same ones who hate on Lombardi for not making enough moves. Look at the history, trade deadline acquisitions rarely come through. There is nothing special about Penner except that we have him for one more year.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
You blame too much on the system. Heck if it takes new players that long to acclimate to TM's system, why bother trading for anyone by the trade deadline?

Bottomline for Penner is that he's not TM's type of player. Penner's got the skills but he needs the heart of a Clifford to make TM happy.
Wow, where have you been? You go on vacation or something?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Penner was building chemistry with kopi and jwilly. He will round out next year.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
Assets:

Defensive prospect (a first rounder)
a first round pick
and a third round pick

for a guy who only scored 2 goals in 16 games and who is as soft as Frolov in the offensive zone. That's a waste of assets. Say all you want but you just can't polish a turd.
I'm not really trying to polish a turd. We have a team full of players who play like turds and right now Penner is one of them. The sad thing is that he has the biggest one on his line with him, a guy who's been given boatloads of chances to make the NHL and he can't cut the mustard or hold onto the puck no less. The facts are that he is best used as somebody's running buddy. We have no players on this team right now that are even good to put on a line with Penner as he's the guy who finishes chances created for him. We have no playmakers to make those plays. No playmakers is the biggest reason the team isn't scoring, not necessarily the system. The guy we had to make those plays did make those plays until injured and Penner was strong on Kopitar's line. It was even better when Williams was around. So much so in fact everyone wanted to make a name for the line. Do we blame Penner for these players getting injured? Was he ever the kind of player to make these opportunities for himself and still produce?

The answer to both is no, of course. It's also the reason we didn't have to trade more for him. The fact of the matter is, Teubert wasn't going to make the team next season. He wasn't going to make the team over players we have on the farm either. That first round pick is not going to be used on a player who will make the team next season. It was time to move.

Old
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
it's funny how you clowns who hate on Penner are probably the same ones who hate on Lombardi for not making enough moves. Look at the history, trade deadline acquisitions rarely come through. There is nothing special about Penner except that we have him for one more year.
I applauded the trade, I thought he would be a good acquisition but he ****ing sucks.