Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

David Moss

Old
03-15-2011, 02:21 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Just saw a video on sportscentre of Moss coming off the ice and it didn't look good ****!. Apparently all he did was trip into the boards to.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:35 AM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
stajan plays not bad onthe top line.. but he doesnt have the hands to hang in with tangs and iggy.. he misses so much chances when he plays with them than somehow manages to mooch a point or two
This is perfect. Says it all. I'd rather have the potential of Backlund on the top line, then Stajan. The guy waffles on all his chances, and has mediocre playmaking skills. He might be good for an assist or two. To me Backlund can provide just as good of passing, and slightly less in FO circle. I'd rather give him the chance, because with Stajan everyone knows what we're going to get. It wont amount to many wins, thats why he's been 3rd line material for our hottest stretch. He got his 1st line time at the start of the season and it failed, the standings showed it. Might as well give someone else a chance.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I'm all about giving Backlund a chance to centre Iggy and Tangs, as everyone knows I always preach to give the youth a shot. But with the playoffs on the line, this needs to be done carefully. As a previous poster said, we know what we are going to get with Stajan and he is dependable. With that said he is not great, so that is why I think it would be a good idea to have Backlund and Stajan split time on the top line. Personally I think Backlund would thrive there if given the oppertunity, but that idea is far from certain. There is also the chance other teams top players would expose Backlund for being a rookie. By having Stajan and Backlund split time you get the best of both worlds. And whoever excels there can have the job until the situation needs changing.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:56 AM
getoverit

was talk in putting Bourque on top line and Iggy taking faceoffs.
they werent big on Backlund moving to top line for two reasons, big ask going from 10 to 20 minutes of ice time and secondly playing against the teams top players..................just sayin

going to take a huge team effort tonight, we havent beaten the yotes all season and we surely havent played well the past several games

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:20 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I'm all about giving Backlund a chance to centre Iggy and Tangs, as everyone knows I always preach to give the youth a shot. But with the playoffs on the line, this needs to be done carefully. As a previous poster said, we know what we are going to get with Stajan and he is dependable. With that said he is not great, so that is why I think it would be a good idea to have Backlund and Stajan split time on the top line. Personally I think Backlund would thrive there if given the oppertunity, but that idea is far from certain. There is also the chance other teams top players would expose Backlund for being a rookie. By having Stajan and Backlund split time you get the best of both worlds. And whoever excels there can have the job until the situation needs changing.
Yeah this is what I'm hoping for. I just don't want Stajan to be handed full reign unless he surprises everyone with some great play on the top line. Backlund should get his chances.

Though I'm sure we are going to see this:

Bourque-Tanguay-Iginla

Not what I'd want, but we'll just have to wait and see.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:41 PM
saillias

I think we'll do the old "one line team" trick and put Bourque on LW with Tanguay at center.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I think we'll do the old "one line team" trick and put Bourque on LW with Tanguay at center.
except we won't be a 1 line team...

we'll likely see something like this...

Bourque - Tanguay - Iginla
Glencross - Jokinen - Kotalik/Hagman
Kotalik/Hagman - Stajan/Backlund - Bouma/Jackman
Kostopoulos - Stajan/Backlund - Bouma/Jackman

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 04:15 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
was talk in putting Bourque on top line and Iggy taking faceoffs.
they werent big on Backlund moving to top line for two reasons, big ask going from 10 to 20 minutes of ice time and secondly playing against the teams top players..................just sayin

going to take a huge team effort tonight, we havent beaten the yotes all season and we surely havent played well the past several games
for sure, im not sayong give it to jim no matter what im saying give him the oppurtunity atleast, a couple shifts to start out with, if not, let stajan give it a shot

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
except we won't be a 1 line team...

we'll likely see something like this...

Bourque - Tanguay - Iginla
Glencross - Jokinen - Kotalik/Hagman
Kotalik/Hagman - Stajan/Backlund - Bouma/Jackman
Kostopoulos - Stajan/Backlund - Bouma/Jackman
That would be a great idea if we wanted our first line to lose every faceoff and be playing defense all game.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 08:02 PM
GototheFlamestotheGo

Bourque-Tanguay-Iginla is a horrible combination. They will constantly lose the faceoffs and will be chasing all night. Not to mention, Bourque isn't very reliable this year and has been quite invisible on many many nights, except when taking the regular 1 bad penalty a night.

I would like to see Backs on the top line. He's quite solid defensively and is coming off one of his best performances, against the Canucks no less. A promotion to the top line just might be what the doctor ordered for him to go on a bit of a streak. Not to mention, him and Tangs have experience playing together on the PK and Backs seems to have the hockey IQ required to play with such skilled guys as Iggy and Tangs.

In my honest opinion, I think slotting Backs on the top line is an obvious move. Jokinen has proven that he doesn't work on there, plus he has been anchoring a very successful 2nd line. Stajan, while he can win draws, is weak on the puck and doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the pace of the game when playing on the top line. Decent 3rd line center, poor 1st line center. Backs has shown instances of offensive skill and flair in addition to good defensive play. I think it could work.

GototheFlamestotheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
That would be a great idea if we wanted our first line to lose every faceoff and be playing defense all game.
because Moss' 43% in the circle was doing wonders for us

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
It sure as hell wasn't, and Tanguay's 36% is that much worse.

Old
03-15-2011, 11:07 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
It sure as hell wasn't, and Tanguay's 36% is that much worse.
Moss although a loss is being really overrated. Even though he was playing on the first line his last two games doesn't make him a #1 centerman. I'd say Backlund brings a lot more then him when on the first line.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:16 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Moss although a loss is being really overrated. Even though he was playing on the first line his last two games doesn't make him a #1 centerman. I'd say Backlund brings a lot more then him when on the first line.
He was a good enough fit on the first line in a season where only one guy really worked out in that spot. Backlund had another strong game tonight.

Old
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

In my opinion Backlund earned minimum another game playing with Iggy. I definitely think he brings alot more creativity than Stajan is capable of. He is not the reason the Flames lost tonight, he is one of the reasons the Flames made it a game.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:51 AM
flames123

Quote:
I really dont feel his % reflected his overall effectiveness in the circle.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote