HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #71 vs. New York Islanders

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #71 vs. New York Islanders
Artem Anisimov 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 10 9.17%
Erik Christensen 8 7.34%
Brandon Dubinsky 3 2.75%
Marian Gaborik 45 41.28%
Henrik Lundqvist 20 18.35%
Bryan McCabe 3 2.75%
Ryan McDonagh 4 3.67%
Brandon Prust 15 13.76%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Other 1 0.92%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceej730 View Post
Where is a site or link where I can full full in depth highlights and not the 20 second espn one
Check the front page. No one ever does.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
John Torturella

We are really hating on Avery for taking penalties? The boarding penalty was BS. The guy turn at the last second. The interference penalty was BS. It was incidental contact and even then there was no powerplay against. The roughing penalty at the end was meaningless. The game was over. The coach lost his cool for no reason. He needs to chill.

Games like tonight are the kind that Avery needs to have more often. He created a lot of energy. When Sean Avery is engaged in a game, he takes penalties. Thats what it was tonight and I actually thought he set a tone with his physicality, even though it was wrongly called a penalty.

Overall, the Avery penalties didn't negatively impact the end result. I would like to see more games like this out of Avery down the stretch.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:14 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Just got home from game, great win. I'm watching it on MSG and did not realize how crazy that 4th Gaborik goal was. WOW, right through Islander defense legs corner snipe. I sit club and you just miss little things like that when you're actually there.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 11:43 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Awesome game, the Rangers weren't amazing, but beating the **** out of those pretentious ****s makes my week. McDonagh had a very up and down game, with some amazing plays and some horrible. Grabner who? Tavares was outstanding though.

POTG: Gaborik just because he hasn't had a game like that in awhile.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Blazephr

anyone else noticing that Boyle has officially hit the wall? He looks as though he's skating in mud, again. He has lost that jump in his step, making curious passing plays & seems to cough the puck up with minimal effort on the defenders part. Where are the hits along the boards he was throwing earlier in the season?

I personally think he'll never hit 20 goals again in his career.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:26 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
anyone else noticing that Boyle has officially hit the wall? He looks as though he's skating in mud, again. He has lost that jump in his step, making curious passing plays & seems to cough the puck up with minimal effort on the defenders part. Where are the hits along the boards he was throwing earlier in the season?

I personally think he'll never hit 20 goals again in his career.
Personally, I think he is tired and banged up from a long season. The guy has played A LOT more than he is accustomed to and he blocks A TON of shots. Its bound to happen to younger players.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:30 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Personally, I think he is tired and banged up from a long season. The guy has played A LOT more than he is accustomed to and he blocks A TON of shots. Its bound to happen to younger players.

Agree. 8 minutes of ice time per game last year compared to 15 this season.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
True. I know I'm changing the topic, but Prust has clearly been the most banged up player on our team. I love how he puts everything he has into doing his best, no matter how much he's banged up.

03-16-2011, 02:41 AM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Got the two points. Nothing else matters. I was skeptical even at 4-2 but they got it done. More scoreboard watching until Friday's game which should be real interesting.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 05:20 AM
ilezia

Good to see the Rangers grab another 2 points here and happy for gabby.

Btw I'm slightly disgusted with the fact that P.A. Parenteaus 17+30 = 47 tops everyone in the Rangers in both points and assists, even if he has been playing with Tavares.

ilezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 05:24 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I'm glad P.A.P. got a shot somewhere - he paid his AHL dues. He wasn't really a fit here (his defense is awful - you can't just look at points. He wouldn't have meshed with Torts).

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 05:43 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
We are really hating on Avery for taking penalties? The boarding penalty was BS. The guy turn at the last second. The interference penalty was BS. It was incidental contact and even then there was no powerplay against. The roughing penalty at the end was meaningless. The game was over. The coach lost his cool for no reason. He needs to chill.

Games like tonight are the kind that Avery needs to have more often. He created a lot of energy. When Sean Avery is engaged in a game, he takes penalties. Thats what it was tonight and I actually thought he set a tone with his physicality, even though it was wrongly called a penalty.

Overall, the Avery penalties didn't negatively impact the end result. I would like to see more games like this out of Avery down the stretch.
The team won last night despite avery's stupidity and in no way shape or form because of it

How on earth can you think that wasn't a boarding? At what point was avery even in line to hit him leagally? It was a dangerous play and penalized appropriately

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
The team won last night despite avery's stupidity and in no way shape or form because of it

How on earth can you think that wasn't a boarding? At what point was avery even in line to hit him leagally? It was a dangerous play and penalized appropriately
I agree with some of what Korpicowski had to say and some of what mullichicken25 had to say.

I agree that was a boarding and dangerous play, glad haley was okay and glad avery didn't get booted from the game.

As far as Avery's all around game, that was vintage Avery, which many people on here were missing saying "Torts has Avery on a leash"...well with the exception of some of the penalties this is avery getting under the opposition's skin, and being the sean avery agitator that i believe is needed to add some sand paper.

I will say Avery has been tamed since Torts has come here, so whats that been 2-3 seasons? well the officials have not called the penalties they were on him when he came back to new york and so instead of the normal "avery" penalties that would probably get him kicked out of a game only gets him 2 minutes.

I think this is what Avery neeeds to be, but without the penalties. it distracts the opposition from gabby.

If our next game wasn't agains Montreal I'd say Torts will have him as a healthy scratch friday, but i guess we shall see.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I had to go with Hank as POTG. He was a brick wall in the 1st period and kept it 2-0 when it probably should've been 2-2 before the start of the second. That's huge when your goalie can do that. He also made big saves throughout the game to allow us to take over.
I've not seen the game but saw the highlites from nhl.com.

If they are representable, it seems like it seriously should have been like 4-1 to the Islanders after the 1st. Hank made insane save after save after save.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:57 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

If they are representable, it seems like it seriously should have been like 4-1 to the Islanders after the 1st. Hank made insane save after save after save.
It's amazing if we lose 3-2 it woulda been Hanks fault. But b/c we won alluva sudden people realize hank played amazing.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Yeah he had at least 3 really great saves, but on the other hand, if we're talking about coming close, the Rangers hit two posts and had a breakaway in addition to scoring 2 goals in the first period.

Moral of the story, close doesn't cut it

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:11 AM
mullichicken25

im just curious about what some of you guys would think about this

and im not trying to take anything away from Henrik cause he played great last night, but the highlight i've more than once was his awesome diving save where he just barely clipped it with his glove. Hell of a save, for sure... but what the highlight doesnt show is that the shot came off a rebound from a easy shot to his chest that he failed to hold on to

its kind like when McD made a terrible play at the point but busted his ass to get back and delivered a killer hit....yeah it was a great play, but it only had to be made to save his own ass after his mistake

its not that it makes the inidividual play or save any less spectacular, but it kinda makes the whole event sort of a wash

anybody thinking the same thing?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Maineice11

i also will say this...before last night's victory I was saying to myself 7 points behind 6th with 12 games to go, we will either be in 7th or 8th if we make the playoffs, BUT....

After last night's victory we are only 5 points behind 6th with 11 games to go, IF Montreal loses their game before we play them friday night (I can't remember when or who it is against I think it is vs. tampa though)...THEN the Rangers and Montreal will both have 11 games left on the season the rangers only 5 points out of 6th, AND IF the rangers can pull out a win over Montreal the rangers are only 3 points out of 6th...and i would really start to believe we could climb in the standings, but A LOT OF IFS!

Go Rangers make it possible!

Old
03-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Voted Lundqvist - he kept us in there and made it possible...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Levitate

I thought 2 minutes for both of those calls was right, but what do I know I'm a biased Rangers fan and the NHL obviously favors the Rangers because it's important for them to get into the playoffs every year and raise the profile of hockey so the refs favor them all the time

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Maineice11

hahaha....I think Boomer was at the game last night on his show Boomer & Carton Boomer just said last night they were chanting "WE WANT FISH STICKS, WE WANT FISH STICKS" And Carton asked why and explained the old islanders jersey had the fish sticks guy on their jersey...haha awesome

(I knew this and have heard this before, I have not been living under a rock, just in case anyone asks, i was just happy to hear that on a live show!)

Old
03-16-2011, 09:18 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I like that AA showed some grit... he's really growing on me.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:21 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceej730 View Post
Where is a site or link where I can full full in depth highlights and not the 20 second espn one
www.nhl.com

See the scoreboard right at the top? Always have 4-5 minute highlight clips.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Very happy with Gaboriks game last night, but he could have had 4 goals!

But the most important thing last night was the 4th goal. I know that 3rd Callahan goal was huge to switch the momentum, but IMO the 4th goal was the most important.

Why? Because Gaborik scored it, in Gaborik fashion. And it was a gamebreaker.

We talk about Gaborik and the effect he has on this team when hes putting the puck in the net. You talk about gamebreakers around the league and what they can do for a team. Every good team has one, and its that type of goal - staying onside, shifting his way into a scoring position with his darting speed and letting off a seed of a shot through a defenders legs, one that a very small percentage of NHL players can pull off.

But it was more about the timing, up 3-2 in momentum swinging game, thats really good to see. Those are the type of goals we need him scoring. Big ones. Not tagging on in blowouts or adding a goal thats meaningless towards the end of a loss. Its the ones that separate your team, gives you a two goal lead, a tying goal, a late goal to win it. Those are the ones we need from him, and we finally got one - and using that great wrister too.

I'm hoping its not reserved just for the Islanders and he builds on this. The Rangers need him to be Gaborik the gamebreaker.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bienvenue a New York View Post
Went with lundqvist as the player of the game. Any other goalie in net and this game would have been much closer.

Does anyone else notice gaboriks goals come only in high scoring games where they're not really needed?
Gaboriks first goal was the 4th goal to re give us a two goal lead. If the Isles score to tie it up at 3 rather than Gaborik scoring to go up 4-2 its a different game, so I would say its a pretty big goal and a very much needed one as it turned out to be the game winner.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote