HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking Back at the Brian Boyle trade

View Poll Results: What's your view on the Boyle trade?
Good trade for us 136 97.84%
Bad trade for us 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Miller Time NYR
Never go full torts.

vCash: 500
I actually didn't hate this trade that much at the time and after a lackluster season last year I didn't want him banished like most, he was/is young and I saw some potential in him. Clearly that worked out.

Given the eventual return I'll make that trade everyday and twice in Sunday

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Ola

I voted no.

Slats=

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
It's just too bad that we're stacked at the wings and lacking at center, because frankly, Boyle would be a great power forward playing wing, just like Dubi improved his offensive game. I'm not kidding if I believe Boyle could be a legit 2nd winger with some more experience, confidence and general improvement.

As a 3rd line winger with a sneaky shot, he would be great.
On a serious note, if put in the right setting.

I mean he wouldn't be a great W playing with like Drury or Christensen or even Prospal, probably.

With Toews and Kane, sure -- he could be awesome. He could put up top 20 numbers even.

But he will not contribute in the transitionplay on the wing, getting that load of human flesh moving takes some time. At center he gets to use more ice to build up his speed. If we can find a center who can get the puck up ice -- you can take advantage of that by having a player like that on the wing. Its like with Malone or Penner. They can be awesome on the wing playing with centers who without any support really can get the puck up ice. Then they end up on worse teams without that support and sucks basically.

I really like Boyle. He is what developing a sucessful org. is all about. He didn't have much when we got him, but raw ability. And we developed that, and put him in a position where he could play to his strengths. And its paying off tremendously -- really.

Hopefully Slats will learn something. You trade for like Enver Lisin -- you can never expect to get a lottery ticket who might hit jackpot from day 1. Never. But if you take that kid with raw ability and develop it, and if you have a spot on your team in which that kid can develop -- then odds are that you will get someone who contributes. Cheap and what not. Boyle was like that his first year too. It takes time. With Lisin, when we got him, we knew we didn't have a spot for him to develop in. 4th line didn't make any sense.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:10 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The Kings took Weal with the pick they got. Who's to say who we would have drafted (Galiev?) had the trade never been made, but one thing is certain: if this team makes the playoffs this year, Brian Boyle had a huge part in it.

I hated the trade because I thought Boyle was slow and lazy with no endurance. Looks like that's changed.

Great hands around the net. I might switch him to wing and give him a playmaker. Leclair was a diamond in the rough, so who knows.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I knew it couldn't be worse than a third rounder for Ozolinsh.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think this trade is another example that initial reactions about unknown commodities are premature and don't have much substance to them. People were killing the selection of Stepan.

To answer the question, this season has certainly made the trade look better. That said, I would still like to see more from Boyle. He needs to use his size more.

03-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Vitto79

i'd like to see Boyle in a permanent top 9 spot but for that to happen he has to hit the wing. Wouold like a top 9 of Richards, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Wollski, Anisimov, Callahan, Stepan, Zuccarello, Boyle.........the rest filled out by Boogaard, Avery, Prust, cheap 4th line C. Yes i am dumping EC. He's scoring some big goals but is not a 4th line C.

I think Boyle can be a threat on the wing given his size.

1st yr giving a 3rd was too much but this yr its a steal so lets see what he can do over the next few yrs cause he's going to get a multi yr deal as a RFA for sure

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I voted no.

Slats=
he has 20 goals and started on the 4th line this yr, lol..........Slats can be a fool but lately he has been making some good moves wheteher haters want to admit it or not.

Mind you it's ONLY because of the salary cap. Best thing to happen to this team in a long time since it forced them to play the kids

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
I think hes been great and it was a great trade but now is the time to sell high.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:19 AM
SML

When I was a kid, I was a fanatical Rangers fan. I poured over stats, endlessly wrote my lineups in the margin of my notebooks instead of paying attention in class, and constantly thought of ways to tweak this team and make it better. If they had this message board back then, I would have been one of these guys who has 12,000 posts in a few months. Since then, I have realized that more often than not, I'm wrong about the team. I follow them very closely, but the peolple who work for the team follow it closer than anybody. Some trades will work, and some won't but they generally are going to know much better than you or I.
I like the Boyle trade. I would trade him in a heartbeat though. He's going to want a good raise, and he deserves it. But the way our team is toopheavy in salary, we cant afford to give him what he deserves. I'd package him, because I dont want to sign him long term when he's only had one good season.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Nemchinov13

Good trade.

If only Brian Boyle could have the around-the-net presence like John Leclair did, then it would be absolute Madoff-like robbery of LA Kings. Too bad that Boyle doesn't have a Lindros type center to carry the puck for him. Boyle himself has to be a Lindros on his line.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:23 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
I think hes been great and it was a great trade but now is the time to sell high.
Agreed. Long term, it makes great sense to take a guy like this and move him at a high point in his value.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:20 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Good trade.

If only Brian Boyle could have the around-the-net presence like John Leclair did, then it would be absolute Madoff-like robbery of LA Kings. Too bad that Boyle doesn't have a Lindros type center to carry the puck for him. Boyle himself has to be a Lindros on his line.
Boyle's gotta be Boyle. If you want to make comparisons, Lindros isn't the right guy. Maybe Chris Gratton or Keith Primeau, but I think he's already bigger and better than Gratton and I'm not sure he'll ever have Primeau's snarl. Maybe he ends his career in a Bobby Holik/Joel Otto role, which isn't bad at all.

If we get more than he's already giving, it will be pure gravy.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Jxmarts

I'm happy to say that I was wrong about this trade.

After 4 years of college and 2 years of bouncing up & down between the Kings and Manchester, it was not looking good for Boyle. In his second year as a pro, he actually regressed significantly. You look for improvement from a young player. If you don't get it, it's usually a sign that a player has hit his plateau.

It didn't look particularly promising after last year either. Yes, he had stepped into Blair Betts' role, but he wasn't strong on faceoffs. You figured that a better faceoff man would replace him down the line. If so, the third rounder they traded would've been more or less wasted.

While it's true that the percentages for success are not great for lower draft picks, you don't want to throw them away. They do have value, whether you trade the picks themselves or the young players you draft. If you hold on to them, they give you ability to make moves without hurting your big league team. Also, precisely because the pecentages are low, you want to have more picks than not. Good organizations always seem to have a pool of young talent in their system, either to trade or just for depth. Grachev, Hagelin and Fasth, for example, are valuable pieces to have in your system. You might miss out on your chance to take a rare gem like Lundqvist. If you throw away your picks for garbage, you won't be in a position of strength.

Fortunately, Boyle turned out not to be garbage.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:22 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
have to admit it, was not a fan then, still not that big of a fan as I would like to see him impose his size on guys a lot more than he does.

Skating is better, but still seems pretty easy to knock off the puck for the monster of a man that he is.

Doubt he can duplicate the goals next year, would love to be wrong though.

Although he already seems to have reverted to his former self as he has just 4 goals since January 1st.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Although he already seems to have reverted to his former self as he has just 4 goals since January 1st.
Compared to previous seasons that's a lot for him. A guy like him isn't ever going to score more than 15-20. Look at the comps, including the guys I've listed a couple of posts above. Holik, Otto, Gratton... except for Gratton with two fluke years none scored more than 25 in a season and frequently they didn't even get to 20. Yet they were all good NHL-ers and were valuable to their teams for years.

If he somehow gets mean/develops another personality then he's got the tools to be a Primeau.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:30 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
He was not so hot last year, thankfully came around this...

As to above, conditionally agree.
However, again, I'm not looking to move Boyle or Girardi like it was Coke for Pepsi.

Want to put together $1.20 in pieces and get $1 key upgrade, preferably a scoring F.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:32 PM
iamthewalrus

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Nearly everyone didn't like the trade at the time..no one liked it after his season last year. Obviously now it's a good trade no matter what he does. He scored 20 goals for us..likely more than that 3rd rounder ever would.

Jamie Benn, fifth round 20 goaler. lucky S.O.B.'s

iamthewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Bardof425*

I voted that we did a smart thing acquiring BB when we did. Now let's do something smarter; move him when is value is high and open a spot for a player with actual offensive talent who can win faceoffs. BB has overachieved and given us everything he had but the smart move is to take advantage of that perception and trade him. We could get a 2nd for him.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt4lyfe View Post
Safe to say that the majority of us didn't like the Boyle trade, and many of us didn't pencil him in our starting lineup when TC rolled around. After the season he's had to this point has your opinion changed?
i guess i was in the minority. i liked the deal. Boyle >>> Betts, i thought that then, i think that now.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
It's just too bad that we're stacked at the wings and lacking at center, because frankly, Boyle would be a great power forward playing wing, just like Dubi improved his offensive game. I'm not kidding if I believe Boyle could be a legit 2nd winger with some more experience, confidence and general improvement.

As a 3rd line winger with a sneaky shot, he would be great.
We all love what Brian Boyle has done for us this year. But be real. His 20 goals were front loaded when most teams were cruising through the season. Now that the games have gotten tougher and there is less time and space his lack of puck handling, passing and shooting skills have produced almost nothing offensively. Add to that his poor performance in the faceoff dot and you have a 4th liner who because he has a big body does well on the pk. But, trying to project him to the 3rd or 2nd line only happens if we suck. And we will not suck in the coming years.

Old
03-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Bardof425*

Also BB is a center who has 12 assists. He has the worst assist/game ratio of any forward on the team. Ryan McDonagh has 7 assists in 29 games. BB has 12 in 71. Let's not take our surprise that he is useful and make him something he isn't.

Old
03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I thought he was worth a 4th, so a 3rd was a bit high of a price for me back then but not so high to get PISSED about it. Obviously, we win. LA drafted Jordan Weal with that pick. A diminutive scoring machine in the WHL. If you can score 102 points in the WHL and fall to the 3rd round, there must be some weakness scouts don't think he can over come at the pro level. 5'8" 158 lbs.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 02:56 PM
satrabyk

[QUOTE=Tawnos;31697243]Wasn't trading for Boyle the very definition of high risk/high reward? The guy was already an NHL player, even if only a mediocre-at-best 4th liner. I fail to see the logic of being upset over a trade like that and I've failed to see it ever since I read the first complaint about it. It's a third round pick and worth substantially less than Boyle was even at that point in his career.

Of course, now the guy looks like a legitimate first round selection, so this whole discussion is moot.[/QUOTE

I agree with you that draft picks are not guarantees but as many posters have stated they are risks. Every selection you make is a risk, i mean sure 1st rounder, 2 rounders are maybe more reward and less risk but there is some great reward in later rounds, just look at our team for that. There is no real right or wrong way to look at it, for some the risk of a successful 3rd round pick like a Cally is more benefecial than an proven 4th liner. Is the risk worth the reward that what its about.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 04:31 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I voted that we did a smart thing acquiring BB when we did. Now let's do something smarter; move him when is value is high and open a spot for a player with actual offensive talent who can win faceoffs. BB has overachieved and given us everything he had but the smart move is to take advantage of that perception and trade him. We could get a 2nd for him.
possibly more.

But my point is think outside the box.

Boyle = only so much
Girardi = only so much
but together there is a slightly synergistic effect.
Add in the right Xs, and we could make an attractive enough offer for that dominant scoring F

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote