HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Caps Allow Alzner to Walk if Offer Sheeted?

Old
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
No way the Caps let Alzner walk. He's going to be the one of the next top defensive d-men in the NHL, at least. That alone is reason enough to keep him unless someone signs him to a ridiculous overpayment of an offer sheet. If he can develop his offensive game a little more, he could potentially be a #1 d-man. Even if he doesn't, a Chris Phillips type d-man is very valuable.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 11:46 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Faced with a $3m+ offer sheet, they'd let him walk. I'm damn near sure of that. Why? 1)Orlov, he'll be on this team soon and the organization is very high on him and 2)Cap considerations mixed with getting a 1st and 3rd, which they'd certainly like to use to restock their franchise.
Stamkos has what, 1 ES point against the caps this season, and guess who's matched up against him, Alzner. Going into next year, the caps are still at least a top 10 team prospect wise. They've won the division 3 years straight(likely 4 after this year), and have been among the teams with the best prospect cuppoard.

Kuznetsov, Eakin, Holtby, Orlov (in that order) are 4 very solid prospects. Then they also have Johansson, Carlson, Alzer, Neuvirth just getting their feet wet, and they're young vets, Laich, Backstrom, Ovechkin, Green, Schultz, Varlamov.

There core group of youngsters playing top4/top6 is around 22-23, they don't need to restock their organizational depth, it's already stocked.

Last edited by backs4mvp: 03-13-2011 at 11:51 PM.
backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
The question is in the title, would the Caps allow Alzy to walk if he's signed to an offer sheet? Saw the Varlamov speculation and am copying that. Why should they spend more than $1M to re-sign him? And at that price, why not take a shot if you're the Isles, TB, Edmonton or the like?

The Caps don't need him with Carlson looking so sharp this season. Plus, it would help their future to grab a couple first rounders or whatever, thoughts?

This is utter nonsense.

I hope this thread was a joke and you just wanted to watch it go off the rails, because there is no other reason I can think of for someone to ask such an absurd question.

Why should they spend more than $1M to re-sign an amazing young hockey player?

The Caps don't need to hold on to an elite young defensive defenseman?

Congrats. This is so bad it's actually good.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:18 AM
txpd

no. this thread is about somebody wanting to talk about his favorite player on the main boards. thats all. alzner will be extended before july 1 and will be a caps mainstay for a long time.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 07:03 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Alzner will stay for sure, how much and how long he signs for probably depends on 2 things, 1) how high the salary cap goes and 2) the Caps try to retain Hannan or Arnott (and if Poti's career is over or not) after this season and those guys probably are more focused on the playoffs. Meaning I don't think we'll see Alzner re-sign till after the Caps season is over.

If the Caps try and keep a bunch of players I think they'll sign Alzner to a 1 year deal with a lower cap hit to help squeeze as many of the players into the cap as possible. I think Alzner would be okay with that route as well because it means the team will be better. He gets another year to try and round out his offensive game at the NHL level, which would translate to a bit more money when he signs that longer term deal.

If the Caps aren't keeping many UFAs then I think they sign Alzner to a longer term deal (this would help keep the fans happy).

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Man Bear Pig

He won't get offer sheeted lol. How many times have players actually been offer sheeted successfully? a handful maybe? Why would a team, who knows they're actually going to overpay so the Caps wouldn't match, not only give up several picks when there are capable d-men on the market this off-season and who likely cost around the same amount without giving up picks while doing so?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Funkyalligator

I think it's time to close this thread because it was an utterly crazy one to start with anyways.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:42 AM
gsx capsfan

Send a message via AIM to gsx capsfan Send a message via Yahoo to gsx capsfan
I'm interested to know if the OP has ever watched Alzner play.

gsx capsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 04:52 PM
No Good Names Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLOBI View Post
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/playe...uk_n2ZbwzCfgM6

Here are some stats for him this season. He is blocking 1.5 shots pg, throwing 1.3 hits pg, has played all 69 games, +13, 11 points and averages about 20 minutes per game(this one is hard to find had to go to cbssports and do some math yikes).

I am 100% confident the caps match $1million.. but if that is what it takes.. get it done Burke! lol

He is only 22 and his stats aren't awful for a defensive dman.
nhl.com has toi/game

cheers

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Good Names Left View Post
nhl.com has toi/game

cheers
That was the nicest 'pwnage' i've ever seen.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx capsfan View Post
I'm interested to know if the OP has ever watched Alzner play.
Probably not, Alzner is the type of player where he's better if you don't hear his name, and by that I mean he is extremely defensive and doesn't make mistakes.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 03:21 AM
dahlenrules

He is/will be our next Calle Johansson. He is imo one of the most important pieces for the long term success of this team, and I can't see him leaving unless it is a crazy proposal.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote