HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #71 vs. New York Islanders

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #71 vs. New York Islanders
Artem Anisimov 0 0%
Ryan Callahan 10 9.17%
Erik Christensen 8 7.34%
Brandon Dubinsky 3 2.75%
Marian Gaborik 45 41.28%
Henrik Lundqvist 20 18.35%
Bryan McCabe 3 2.75%
Ryan McDonagh 4 3.67%
Brandon Prust 15 13.76%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Other 1 0.92%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
im just curious about what some of you guys would think about this

and im not trying to take anything away from Henrik cause he played great last night, but the highlight i've more than once was his awesome diving save where he just barely clipped it with his glove. Hell of a save, for sure... but what the highlight doesnt show is that the shot came off a rebound from a easy shot to his chest that he failed to hold on to

its kind like when McD made a terrible play at the point but busted his ass to get back and delivered a killer hit....yeah it was a great play, but it only had to be made to save his own ass after his mistake

its not that it makes the inidividual play or save any less spectacular, but it kinda makes the whole event sort of a wash

anybody thinking the same thing?
I see where your coming from on that goal and your right the first shot seems like an easy save but that was a hard shot... the what 4 or 5 saves before and after that were just inhuman. The glove save early on when he looked down and out, Sam thought the guy missed the net and when looking at the replay, the Islander didn't miss a wide open net, Henke got a glove on it to make a spectacular save.

12:33 of the first is what im talking about.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...=sb:highlights

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
I think the Player of the Game for the Rangers last night was the Islanders. They gave the Rangers a ton of room on the ice all night long, and topped it off with some shaky goaltending. Their transition game is pretty quick, and they certainly do have a lot of young talent...but right now they do not make life on the ice difficult for you at all.

I don't understand how on earth they've won so many games, you can get scoring chances against them pretty easily.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:38 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Check the front page. No one ever does.
Untrue! I do!

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Also, Anisimov had another STRONG game. Very nice job out there.

McDonaugh, flashes of brillance, flashes of mind-numbing rookie spasms. When he develops and gains experience in the NHL, he is going to be one hell of a player IMO.

Stepan - Where art thou? Needs more ice time.

Dubi and Cally - thought they really racheted up their game after the Isles scored two, really lead this team.

Prust - Cant say enough about this kid. Plays hurt, plays consistent. He is really the soul of this team. What a season. He really is a catalyst. He HAS to win the McDonald award. He's embodied it this year.

The Prust-Boyle-Fedotenko line - THEY'RE BAAAAAACCCCK

Fedotenko - when he was out i said it was REALLY going to hurt this team. Some said he really didnt make much of a difference either way. I completely disagreed. Check out these stats:

• The Rangers have posted a record of 8-0-1 when he tallies a goal and are 14-2-2 when he registers a point

• The Rangers are 32-22-3 (.561) with him in the lineup and was 5-8-1 (.357) when he' was out.

Gotta win 1 out of the next 2 games, Ill be happy with that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:43 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Stepan - Where art thou? Needs more ice time.
I wonder if he's just a little tired out there, it's been a long season for a guy used to playing 45-50 max.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
He had a shaky start to the 2nd period, but otherwise, he looked great.

It was a total homer vote though.
at the start of the second he couldn't get off the ice because of the long change and ran out of steam. Dubi coughed it up in the neutral zone and he couldn't change then the Isles turned it around and scored with Dubi caught on the boards when he should have been in the slot. McD didn't have his best game but the goal early in the second was really not his fault.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Front page is updated as of 11:45 AM EST.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
anyone else noticing that Boyle has officially hit the wall? He looks as though he's skating in mud, again. He has lost that jump in his step, making curious passing plays & seems to cough the puck up with minimal effort on the defenders part. Where are the hits along the boards he was throwing earlier in the season?

I personally think he'll never hit 20 goals again in his career.
Agree 100%. I like him but off a 20 goal season I would move him when his value is high. Ethan Werek or Kris Newbury can take that spot next year.

Old
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Gotta say I'm happy with Christensen in his 2 games back. Hopefully he doesn't fall completely back into the abyss.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
The team won last night despite avery's stupidity and in no way shape or form because of it

How on earth can you think that wasn't a boarding? At what point was avery even in line to hit him leagally? It was a dangerous play and penalized appropriately
It wasn't a boarding because Haley turned at the last second when Aves was already committed to the hit. They used to take that into consideration and swallow the whistle. Now they call it but the player (Avery) is in a very tough spot because he was lined up to hit his shoulder and then he turned.

Old
03-16-2011, 11:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
It wasn't a boarding because Haley turned at the last second when Aves was already committed to the hit. They used to take that into consideration and swallow the whistle. Now they call it but the player (Avery) is in a very tough spot because he was lined up to hit his shoulder and then he turned.
Again, it was still a penalty because Hailey didn't touch the puck.

03-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I've not seen the game but saw the highlites from nhl.com.

If they are representable, it seems like it seriously should have been like 4-1 to the Islanders after the 1st. Hank made insane save after save after save.
not true. We hit two posts from prime scoring areas, Gabby was stopped on a breakaway. Both teams had great scoring opps that didn't go in. Montoya and the post stopped as many of our good chances as Hank did. Hank did play great in the first but to say it should have been 4 -1 is not true especially since Montoya had no chance on either of our goals.

Old
03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
if the play actually happened like you described then you'd be correct. Sometimes players turn into the boards when a hits already been initiated...its happens and theres not much a guy can do about it once they've started the hit

however, thats not even close to what happened....i'm watching the replay as im typing this, Haley is never NOT facing the boards

i've seen worse hits, for sure, but come on

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Again, it was still a penalty because Hailey didn't touch the puck.
the puck was there. so you're saying it was interference? i don't think they would have called interference with the puck where it was.

Old
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
if the play actually happened like you described then you'd be correct. Sometimes players turn into the boards when a hits already been initiated...its happens and theres not much a guy can do about it once they've started the hit

however, thats not even close to what happened....i'm watching the replay as im typing this, Haley is never NOT facing the boards

i've seen worse hits, for sure, but come on
he was facing the boards but Avery was coming at him from the side and then he shifted and gave him his back to hit. That's how I see it.

Old
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
the puck was there. so you're saying it was interference? i don't think they would have called interference with the puck where it was.
I don't really care what they call it. It was a stupid play on Avery's part. If you want to split hairs about whether it was a dangerous play or not, that's fine. It's a play that never should have been made.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:37 PM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotsyJr View Post
Gotta say I'm happy with Christensen in his 2 games back. Hopefully he doesn't fall completely back into the abyss.
What I don't understand is why he sat those two games in the first place. He was (I think) 6pts in 5 games before sitting out for two games...and is now 9pts in 7 games. Granted 4 of those pts pre-sitting were in one game...but it wasn't like he was invisible recently...In any event, seems unlikely he'll be sitting in the near future...not when there is at least one far more likely candidate

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:55 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
What I don't understand is why he sat those two games in the first place. He was (I think) 6pts in 5 games before sitting out for two games...and is now 9pts in 7 games. Granted 4 of those pts pre-sitting were in one game...but it wasn't like he was invisible recently...In any event, seems unlikely he'll be sitting in the near future...not when there is at least one far more likely candidate
He needs to keep shooting aggressively. When he uses his awesome shot, he's a threat, and he actually makes the PP noticeably better.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
He needs to keep shooting aggressively. When he uses his awesome shot, he's a threat, and he actually makes the PP noticeably better.
Everyone looks better when we play teams that give up open ice to work with. EC & Gabby most noticeably.

When they can get off shots like that against teams like the devils then you know we are doing something right.

Don't get me wrong, I thought last night's game was very positive, but we need (as a team) to figure out how to win more games against the teams that are stingy with the ice.

03-16-2011, 01:57 PM
xEchox

I really like the Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik line, especially the points christensen and prospal have been raking up lately.

xEchox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Front page is updated as of 3:30 PM EST.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
I don't really care what they call it. It was a stupid play on Avery's part. If you want to split hairs about whether it was a dangerous play or not, that's fine. It's a play that never should have been made.
So you're saying he shouldn't hit a guy with the puck in the vicinity? If it wasn't a board and the puck was there why shouldn't he hit him? That I do not understand.

Old
03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
So you're saying he shouldn't hit a guy with the puck in the vicinity? If it wasn't a board and the puck was there why shouldn't he hit him? That I do not understand.
From the NHL Rule Book:

Possession of the Puck: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

Hailey never had possesion of the puck. He never touched the puck. He was not the last player to touch the puck. The puck was not there. Avery hit him. That's penalty. And yes, that's a play that did not need to be made.

Old
03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
From the NHL Rule Book:

Possession of the Puck: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

Hailey never had possesion of the puck. He never touched the puck. He was not the last player to touch the puck. The puck was not there. Avery hit him. That's penalty. And yes, that's a play that did not need to be made.
but nonetheless...it WAS a board

despite whatever delusions he seems to be under

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 04:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
but nonetheless...it WAS a board

despite whatever delusions he seems to be under
I feel it was board too. But regardless, it was interference.