HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The D

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
  #1
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
The D

I think Staal is important. Girardi is having by far his best season. I like Sauer's game. While it is early, McD is the one I am most excited about. His instincts are superb on O and D, and his upside is intriguig. If Zots can improve defensively, the Rangers are set. Now, if they can add a creating forward, their team future is close.

However, windows of opportunity close quickly and without Gaborik healthy, that window could close quickly. Those preaching patience must understand that without great offensive firepower, nothing will come of this, and in a scant two years the team could be once again trending down.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:52 AM
  #2
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,448
vCash: 500
Agree 100% about McDonagh. He looks a lot like Staal did when he was 21, which is a huge compliment, imo.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
  #3
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,427
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I think Staal is important. Girardi is having by far his best season. I like Sauer's game. While it is early, McD is the one I am most excited about. His instincts are superb on O and D, and his upside is intriguig. If Zots can improve defensively, the Rangers are set. Now, if they can add a creating forward, their team future is close.

However, windows of opportunity close quickly and without Gaborik healthy, that window could close quickly. Those preaching patience must understand that without great offensive firepower, nothing will come of this, and in a scant two years the team could be once again trending down.
then be prepared to be disappointed cause this team, even with a Richards, is not a contender.

Are we a better team? Absolutely, but not a contender.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:13 AM
  #4
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,793
vCash: 500
mdz-20
mcd-21
sauer-23
staal-24
girardi-26
thats group is young and still has a lot of potential i dont forsee any drop off for another 4-5 years at the earliest.
offensivly were very young as well the only window i can see closing would be that of hanks prime but he should be able to be the backbone for years to come. not really too much need for concern imo.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:27 AM
  #5
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
then be prepared to be disappointed cause this team, even with a Richards, is not a contender.

Are we a better team? Absolutely, but not a contender.
I disagree. This team is clearly a contender. We hit a very rough patch not too long ago, but everything seems to be looking up. I think this could be a surprise team in the playoffs. This team has the talent, and for the most part, the stats to show that they can compete with the best, and they have done that and done it well.

Can things improve? Certainly. But I don't think you are giving them enough credit.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:30 AM
  #6
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,427
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
mdz-20
mcd-21
sauer-23
staal-24
girardi-26
thats group is young and still has a lot of potential i dont forsee any drop off for another 4-5 years at the earliest.
offensivly were very young as well the only window i can see closing would be that of hanks prime but he should be able to be the backbone for years to come. not really too much need for concern imo.
I think that you need to replace the word offensively with forwards.

Offensively we still lack a top notch puck distributor.

Can Stepan be that guy? Maybe, maybe not. Anisimov? Maybe maybe not.

Beyond those to question marks are larger question marks.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
  #7
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think that you need to replace the word offensively with forwards.

Offensively we still lack a top notch puck distributor.

Can Stepan be that guy? Maybe, maybe not. Anisimov? Maybe maybe not.

Beyond those to question marks are larger question marks.
forwards is what i mean, and richards is a pretty damn good puck distributor. im not one of those people that thinks he is the key to the cup but he fills that void pretty well. and if mdz returns to his first year form he can be a top notch puck distributor or at least thast what the organization is hinging on in that dept. imo. the real question marks i see are wether or not guys like cali,dubi,anisimov,stepan will continue to progress at their current paces.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:37 AM
  #8
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,427
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I disagree. This team is clearly a contender. We hit a very rough patch not too long ago, but everything seems to be looking up. I think this could be a surprise team in the playoffs. This team has the talent, and for the most part, the stats to show that they can compete with the best, and they have done that and done it well.

Can things improve? Certainly. But I don't think you are giving them enough credit.
Legit contenders do not have the following problems

1) A true and legit #1 center. Our BEST passer is Erik Christensen and that's not saying much.

2) A PPQB. McCabe is a shooter, not a QB. We have no one that is reliable enough or seasoned enought o be relied on to carry the day at that rold.

3) A tough and physical presence on the blueline. Sauer is getting there, but to expect him be that guy half a season into his NHL career is asking to much at this time.

We have assets in the pipeline to address No.'s 2 and three in MDZ and McIlrath going forward, we do not have the most important aspect that most legit contenders have and that is a legit #1 center.

Until that can be addressed, we will never be a serious contender. Make the PO's? Yes. Win a round, maybe two, possibly. Actually contend for a cup? Don't see it.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:38 AM
  #9
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,427
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
forwards is what i mean, and richards is a pretty damn good puck distributor. im not one of those people that thinks he is the key to the cup but he fills that void pretty well. and if mdz returns to his first year form he can be a top notch puck distributor or at least thast what the organization is hinging on in that dept. imo. the real question marks i see are wether or not guys like cali,dubi,anisimov,stepan will continue to progress at their current paces.
Agreed on Richards.

Assuming we get him of course.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:57 AM
  #10
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Legit contenders do not have the following problems

1) A true and legit #1 center. Our BEST passer is Erik Christensen and that's not saying much.

2) A PPQB. McCabe is a shooter, not a QB. We have no one that is reliable enough or seasoned enought o be relied on to carry the day at that rold.

3) A tough and physical presence on the blueline. Sauer is getting there, but to expect him be that guy half a season into his NHL career is asking to much at this time.

We have assets in the pipeline to address No.'s 2 and three in MDZ and McIlrath going forward, we do not have the most important aspect that most legit contenders have and that is a legit #1 center.

Until that can be addressed, we will never be a serious contender. Make the PO's? Yes. Win a round, maybe two, possibly. Actually contend for a cup? Don't see it.
richards addresses 1&2 and number three isnt a must have. every team doesnt need a true tough guy on the blue line, like you said sauer will get there, mcd throws the body around his fair share especially along the walls, girardi and staal are physical when need be d-mac is that exact guy we need hell be here soon but until them thats not holding us back from truly contending.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:06 PM
  #11
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,553
vCash: 500
I love this D. How could you not like the potential as they are playing like vets. McDonaugh and Sauer are the number 2 Pair. Who the heck would think that to start the year?

Staal and Girardi are earning there pay and that's all i can ask.

Del Zotto obviously took a step back but at 20 yrs old I have faith he will be just fine.

After that Valentenko , Kundratek and McIlrath could make their name.

This team is on the way up for sure. Gaborik had an off yr but he could easily hit 40 again next season especially if they can get Richards.

not sure how everyone is not on the Richards wagon. Yes the team has a history of spending to much on UFA's but in this case the guy has won a cup with Torts and is a premier talent that can also help the PP. It gives the team a true #1 C and top line.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:06 PM
  #12
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,427
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
richards addresses 1&2 and number three isnt a must have. every team doesnt need a true tough guy on the blue line, like you said sauer will get there, mcd throws the body around his fair share especially along the walls, girardi and staal are physical when need be d-mac is that exact guy we need hell be here soon but until them thats not holding us back from truly contending.
totally forgot about his ability to QB the PP.

Good point.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
  #13
MeltingPlastic
Registered User
 
MeltingPlastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Outside Philly
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
look i can tell you on July first where this team will stand. If we somehow get Drury to retire, Redden to drop his contract or head to europe and sign richards, I'd say next year is the year to make a run. Add support guys like C.H. right out of college (Think Kovy 94) and this team has the makeup to actually win. If we don't get richards.. we are SOL! plain and simple.

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:26 PM
  #14
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
This team is absolutely a contender with Richards.

There's going to be an increase in skill the next couple years. Kreider, Thomas, Hagelin, Werek, Del Zotto coming back.

If they add Richards they're a contender. No question.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:26 PM
  #15
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Legit contenders do not have the following problems

1) A true and legit #1 center. Our BEST passer is Erik Christensen and that's not saying much.

2) A PPQB. McCabe is a shooter, not a QB. We have no one that is reliable enough or seasoned enought o be relied on to carry the day at that rold.

3) A tough and physical presence on the blueline. Sauer is getting there, but to expect him be that guy half a season into his NHL career is asking to much at this time.

We have assets in the pipeline to address No.'s 2 and three in MDZ and McIlrath going forward, we do not have the most important aspect that most legit contenders have and that is a legit #1 center.

Until that can be addressed, we will never be a serious contender. Make the PO's? Yes. Win a round, maybe two, possibly. Actually contend for a cup? Don't see it.
half the stuff you say is colored or untrue.

We lack an elite #1 center right now. We are also loaded at center and have depth there other teams crave...and that's with a rookie and a soph as half our C. Now prospects are just prospects and you can't guarantee they work but it works both ways. You can't guarantee they won't work either. Plenty of prospects right now can be a first line presence for us within 2 years. It's just childish and attention seeking to claim any different until it comes to fruition and that's what it's about. Primary objective: Making sure everyone hears you and what you have to say.
Secondary: Being right
Teritary: Rooting for team.

The 3rd thing you highlighted I meana re you even watching hockey this season. We don't have our toughness invested in 1 or 2 guys the whole team bangs and kicks the crap out of people and that's again with half the lineup being rookies and sophs. Stop being Nostradamus. I admit readily and often our guys may not develop into serviceable 1st liners and may not carry the team to a cup. but I also have my eyes opened and realize we could go either way because there is a ton of talent and leadership on this team right now. We lack in some areas but have more than enough in other areas to compensate.

About the only real issue is the center. We could use that elite player. The PPQB is overrated, the physical presence is just flat out incorrect. You get Richards you have no overwhelming probs on this team provided he stays productive and healthy.

Even without Richards there is enough promise in current Rangers and up and comers to go to town with imo

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:30 PM
  #16
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,866
vCash: 500
If we play the same D pairings we played last night:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
McCabe-Eminger

We have the capabilities to see this team go far in the playoffs. Eminger compliments McCabe much better then Gilroy does because he is more physical and a better defender then Gilroy who is defensively challenged.

Let's not forget that the Islanders have been one of the hottest teams the past couple months after they went on that slide of not winning in 20-something games. If we can play Washington in the 1st round, I think we could do something, since we have had great games against them. I wouldn't mind playing Pittsburgh either, even with Crosby back, cause we have played well against them too.

When people say we don't have the talent up front, they are right to a point. Our talent up front is very streaky especially with Gaborik being hot and cold this year. Callahan has been our most consistent forward offensively this season. He's putting up very good numbers this season. If Gaborik can get hot, we could do something. If not, it's going to be tough.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
  #17
Chalfdiggity3
Registered User
 
Chalfdiggity3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
If we play the same D pairings we played last night:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
McCabe-Eminger

We have the capabilities to see this team go far in the playoffs. Eminger compliments McCabe much better then Gilroy does because he is more physical and a better defender then Gilroy who is defensively challenged.

Let's not forget that the Islanders have been one of the hottest teams the past couple months after they went on that slide of not winning in 20-something games. If we can play Washington in the 1st round, I think we could do something, since we have had great games against them. I wouldn't mind playing Pittsburgh either, even with Crosby back, cause we have played well against them too.

When people say we don't have the talent up front, they are right to a point. Our talent up front is very streaky especially with Gaborik being hot and cold this year. Callahan has been our most consistent forward offensively this season. He's putting up very good numbers this season. If Gaborik can get hot, we could do something. If not, it's going to be tough.
I definatly agree with you completly. I love these defensive pairings and just didnt get why Gilroy was starting over Eminger this whole time. Especially when he was playing very solid hockey before being taken out of the lineup for scrubs. Ive been hoping for this change since Torts took Eminger out for no reason. Our defense has been incredibly solid. I love the Youth and Talent on the back end, especially with the likes of Kundratek and Valentenko have both showed that they can play and will fight for the last spots on the team, with McIlrath, Pashnin and MDZ there too. We are stacked on defense and maybe a trade of 1 or 2 D prospects with a solid forward can net us a very talented young forward.

Yea we dont have alot of great talented forwards out there but we have guys who play with all their heart and soul... Talent alone doesnt win you games. This team has shown time and time again that when we play OUR game, we have the ability to not just hang with anyone but also BEAT them. If gaborik can start to come back and play up to his ability this team can really have a chance to be a darkhorse that i doubt most playoff teams DONT want to face. I dont think we can win the cup, and maybe next year when we continue to trim dead weight off this team and add the talented youngsters and possibly sign Richards, this team has the chance to win the cup.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:44 PM
  #18
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,319
vCash: 500
I love the D that we have now and if MDZ can develop we are going to be in business

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:16 PM
  #19
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,264
vCash: 500
Wow, chosen, a semi-positive thread. I didn't think that was possible from you , or me for that matter.

Regardless, the D is good. McD is an absolute animal thus far. Sauer's past injury problems are a concern, and they need a replacement for McCabe (some sort of 6th/7th d vet presence), but it's shaping up real nicely. The forwards need work though definitely.

Hopefully DZ can actually play somewhat like his rookie year again next year and then we'll have a real threatening core.

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-McD
DZ-McIlrath/Vtank/something
Eminger/vet presence

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:24 PM
  #20
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,804
vCash: 500
Call me insane, but I think McD turns out to be the best of the bunch.

I'm really liking the future of our D, though. If we could get a better defenseman to pair with Staal (Brent Burns) we could have a top-5 D in the NHL.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
  #21
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Call me insane, but I think McD turns out to be the best of the bunch.

I'm really liking the future of our D, though. If we could get a better defenseman to pair with Staal (Brent Burns) we could have a top-5 D in the NHL.
Really not that far-fetched, though it's early yet. Real early. He has extremely untapped offensive potential too. If that comes through, there's no doubt in my mind that he can't surpass Staal later on in his career. His defensive and physical prowess is very high.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:48 PM
  #22
Chalfdiggity3
Registered User
 
Chalfdiggity3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Really not that far-fetched, though it's early yet. Real early. He has extremely untapped offensive potential too. If that comes through, there's no doubt in my mind that he can't surpass Staal later on in his career. His defensive and physical prowess is very high.
I believe that when McDonagh was drafted they said he has the talent to become a #1 defensman. I think were begining to see something special with this kid. Definatly not a generational talent, but an all star like Staal.

This young defense has the potential to be something dare i say, GREAT. Staal, Mcdonagh, Sauer, Girardi, MDZ, Valentenko, Pashnin, Kundratek, McIlrath. In time we could have a very big and GOOD problem on our hands with a lot of very good dmen and only 6 slots to fill. You make a trade with 1 or 2 of them and a forward for some young talented scoring forward.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:06 AM
  #23
DekeR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
I believe that when McDonagh was drafted they said he has the talent to become a #1 defensman. I think were begining to see something special with this kid. Definatly not a generational talent, but an all star like Staal.

This young defense has the potential to be something dare i say, GREAT. Staal, Mcdonagh, Sauer, Girardi, MDZ, Valentenko, Pashnin, Kundratek, McIlrath. In time we could have a very big and GOOD problem on our hands with a lot of very good dmen and only 6 slots to fill. You make a trade with 1 or 2 of them and a forward for some young talented scoring forward.

Agree with the youth and prospects on D. What makes players like Em and Gilroy expendable is the talent on the blue line and what is coming down the pike. Valentenko hopefully will be here next year with Kundratek and possibly Pashnin as well the following yr. That creates an overabundance with some very good tradeable assets for young gifted forwards. If we are fortunate to land Richards, he adds to the mixture another piece of the puzzle that only gets us closer to a complete team. Add maybe a power forward LW to that mix on the 1st line and we can be set.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
  #24
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,793
vCash: 500
Staal-mcdonagh
Girardi-sauer
MDZ-mcilrath
V-tank

Scary good if they can play up to their capabilities/what we all expect the to be.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 09:17 AM
  #25
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,804
vCash: 500
Staal-XXXX (UFA to upgrade on Girardi - Burns/Suter)
McDonagh-McIlrath
MDZ-Sauer
Veteran 7th

Future D.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.