HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky next season

Old
03-15-2011, 03:06 PM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
Oh, hey, someone from a different fan base asking an entire fan base to come to a consensus on a random player that he has on his fantasy hockey team.

How novel.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:20 AM
SWE

Flyers should try to get Viktor Fasth from AIK in the swedish elite league. He undrafted and has been absolutely amazing this season.

SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 07:23 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWE View Post
Flyers should try to get Viktor Fasth from AIK in the swedish elite league. He undrafted and has been absolutely amazing this season.
seems like he has a contract in Sweden next year

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5147

Good stats though

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 08:59 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

Good stats though
It can never hurt to have more promising goaltender prospects.

Backlund's out after this year (presumably) right?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:16 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
It can never hurt to have more promising goaltender prospects.

Backlund's out after this year (presumably) right?
According to capgeek he's signed through the 11-12 season and it appears that it's a 1-way deal ($800,000)

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=804

Assuming that is correct and Leighton ends up with the Phantoms, you are looking at a very expensive AHL tandem.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

Good stats though
It's not only good stats, taken with the fact that his team was unanimously placed last by all experts here in Sweden (and rightfully so, I said to my dad that this season would be terrific for the health of us fans, because every point earned would be great and just staying up in the SEL would really be a job well done, and then some... no pressure whatsoever). AIK gained promotion to the SEL last year, which was a surprise for most people, including me, and didn't go out and spend much money on new guys. They picked up Fasth who hadn't played in the big league before this season though. At the end of the season they managed to sneak into the playoffs and promptly dismissed the 1st seed (and reigning champions) HV71 4-0 in a best of seven series. Fasth has been phenomenal all year.

He is a late bloomer though, he is already 28 years old and goalies usually take some time to adjust to the different styles between European and NA hockey (different angles and such).

Other undrafted players for AIK that's having pretty good years are Daniel Bång (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4524) and Christian Sandberg (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4526). Bång is a big power forward who has been better than his numbers indicate, Sandberg is a smart center who is really good defensively and plays a lot bigger than his size. They have some pretty good chemistry together actually. Both are of course long, long shots of making it in the NHL though.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:44 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
According to capgeek he's signed through the 11-12 season and it appears that it's a 1-way deal ($800,000)

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=804

Assuming that is correct and Leighton ends up with the Phantoms, you are looking at a very expensive AHL tandem.
1) I'd be surprised if Leighton is on the Phantoms next year. I fully expect Boosh to wind up walking and Leighton to be the backup next year. Not because it's ideal, but because it's convenient and Holmgren loves his second chance nonsense.

2) Even if Leighton stays down and it'd make for an expensive tandem, I don't think that's an issue for this franchise.

Old
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
1) I'd be surprised if Leighton is on the Phantoms next year. I fully expect Boosh to wind up walking and Leighton to be the backup next year. Not because it's ideal, but because it's convenient and Holmgren loves his second chance nonsense.

2) Even if Leighton stays down and it'd make for an expensive tandem, I don't think that's an issue for this franchise.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I fully expect Leighton to be Bobrovsky's backup next year. But, if somehow he does end up with the Phantoms, the Flyers will be spending over $2 million for their 3rd and 4th goalies (which is potentially more than they will be paying their two NHL goalies).

Old
03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Right now Leighton is probably Bob's backup by default as he is signed. But I would say Holmgren will try and trade him in the offseason for cheap out west, and then just sign Bob another backup or Boucher

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:35 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I fully expect Leighton to be Bobrovsky's backup next year. But, if somehow he does end up with the Phantoms, the Flyers will be spending over $2 million for their 3rd and 4th goalies (which is potentially more than they will be paying their two NHL goalies).
If that's what it costs to keep Leighton buried, I don't think they'll care.

Getting a goalie prospect who could be good on a one-year 800k isn't a bad move in and of itself. You don't pass on a prospect when you have the budget that this organization has just because you decided to burn Leighton.

Old
03-17-2011, 02:24 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
With the Prospect of Boosh not coming back and the terror of having Leighton back what would you think about having Turco a goalie known to be good at handling the puck as a backup platoon with Bob next year.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 03:07 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Somewhat off-topic, but when are they planning on bringing Sunshine over? Also, does anyone have his stats for this year thus far?

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 08:10 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
With the Prospect of Boosh not coming back and the terror of having Leighton back what would you think about having Turco a goalie known to be good at handling the puck as a backup platoon with Bob next year.
Definitely a pass. He has looked brutal in Chicago this season.

Old
03-17-2011, 10:00 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm Syndrome View Post
Somewhat off-topic, but when are they planning on bringing Sunshine over? Also, does anyone have his stats for this year thus far?
I'm hoping they bring him over sooner rather than later. Fortunately we have no immediate hurry to get him up to the big squad thanks to Bob's coming out, which means we should be able to season him for as long as he needs in the AHL...and it never hurts to switch to the NA style early on in development.