HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gotta ask: Has Lavy worn them out?

Old
03-14-2011, 02:32 PM
FlyersMania2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
we would have cake though! and Jones!
I wish HF boards had a "like" button...

Don't forget we would also have Riley Cote in the lineup while Giroux played in the minors

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Patrick Kane or Duncan Keith. You could also make a case for Jonathan Toews as well, but those two are above Toews in terms of their games.
I have to respectfully disagree. Jonathan Toews has been the best forward on that team since he got there. He might be their best player as well, though Kieth is obviously a hell of a defenseman.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:51 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
It is not the PP, it is the fact that this team has given up 75 goals against in the 3rd period. Look at some of the teams who are in that ranking and there are not a lot of playoff bound teams. Bottom line is the PP is part of the problem, but when players are not winning the one on one battles, and executing it comes down to the players. Don't make things too complicated, no behind the back passes, no cross-ice passes through the zone, pass it around the box and get an open seam.
Agreed, but I think this team is built to score, and when they don't they start to do the things you mention.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Agreed, but I think this team is built to score, and when they don't they start to do the things you mention.
Laviolette's style, or system, of play is pretty simple. Pressure the puck, create turnovers, and play a solid team defense in your own zone which can result in a good breakout up the ice and transition the puck with crisp, but simple, passing.

The problem is they have guys who think they need to be creative to make a difference, but it is more about the individual effort and winning the one on one battles which take precedence over the Flyers "depth in scoring". Without an honest effort from every player this team can have 15 20 goal scorers and they will not make it out of the first round.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 09:58 AM
phillyfanatic

Is the coach to blame

Is it just me who has noticed the Flyers are not playing Flyer hockey anymore? When is the last time you saw Richards or Hartnell lay someone out? When was the last time you saw an emotional game or shift created by physicality (not the boring tough guy versus tough guy fight)?

I know Laviolette preaches discipline and not taking stupid penalties. He doesn't believe in fighting and has a low threshold for needless violence. The problem is, I think the Flyer players are buying into it. I think they are playing hockey the way the coach wants and when they lose that physical edge, I don't think guys like Richards/Hartnell/Carcillo/Powe are as effective. It also looks like, they just are not enjoying the game or playing with the same level of passion.

Am I crazy? Or have the Flyers been without a physical presence for a while now?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Jester

Yes, lets complain that the team is listening to the coach... really?

Hartnell is playing the best hockey of his tenure in Philadelphia right now.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 10:11 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Is it just me who has noticed the Flyers are not playing Flyer hockey anymore? When is the last time you saw Richards or Hartnell lay someone out? When was the last time you saw an emotional game or shift created by physicality (not the boring tough guy versus tough guy fight)?

I know Laviolette preaches discipline and not taking stupid penalties. He doesn't believe in fighting and has a low threshold for needless violence. The problem is, I think the Flyer players are buying into it. I think they are playing hockey the way the coach wants and when they lose that physical edge, I don't think guys like Richards/Hartnell/Carcillo/Powe are as effective. It also looks like, they just are not enjoying the game or playing with the same level of passion.

Am I crazy? Or have the Flyers been without a physical presence for a while now?
You mean when Richards started the second period of the Rangers game laying out everyone in sight, including Dubinsky (and their subsequent fight)?

I will say that I thought the Flyers got pushed around a bit last night, but they are still a physical team.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

Players complain they are overworked, Lavioltte gives them a break, team still flounders even giving up two 3 goal leads in the 3rd period, and then come out against a weak Fla team and is less than impressive. No one is stopping the players from hitting, as a matter of fact it is part of Laviolette's philosophy, play with some "jam" and finish the checks.

Sorry, this falls on the players, stop blaming the coach for the players little hissy fits. They have to stay focused for 8 months out of the year and stay conditioned. If these guys are tired maybe they should give less time to the parties and cocktail waitresses and more time to being better prepared for what the coach is asking of them? Oh, and BTW, the coach has his name on the Cup, so it seems to me like he knows how to get it done.

Old
03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

No he hasnt.

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

we tried the coach who wanted to be the players best friend. that didnt work. sorry.
Laviolette is the best coach we have had since Hitchcock.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:51 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
we tried the coach who wanted to be the players best friend. that didnt work. sorry.
Laviolette is the best coach we have had since Hitchcock.
He had to beat out a whole lot of coaches to earn that honor.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 11:56 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
He had to beat out a whole lot of coaches to earn that honor.
really Laviolette is the only NHL coach we have had since hitchcock.....

Old
03-16-2011, 12:22 PM
phillyfanatic

I love Laviolette as a coach. However, I am wondering if his system, his attitude toward the type of game the Flyers play best is causing an issue. I am not questioning the guys, I am saying.....has Laviolette gotten through to be disciplined, not do anything on the edge and now we are seeing the result.....the team is playing without passion and seems "bored".

Seriously - are you all enjoying the Flyer games the past month or two? I know I am not! Seems like something is missing .

Old
03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
really Laviolette is the only NHL coach we have had since hitchcock.....
zing!

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
I love Laviolette as a coach. However, I am wondering if his system, his attitude toward the type of game the Flyers play best is causing an issue. I am not questioning the guys, I am saying.....has Laviolette gotten through to be disciplined, not do anything on the edge and now we are seeing the result.....the team is playing without passion and seems "bored".

Seriously - are you all enjoying the Flyer games the past month or two? I know I am not! Seems like something is missing .
You know, I did enjoy being out of the playoffs in January last year a lot more now that you mention it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

Are you saying that this team only enjoys hockey when they're on the PK for mind-smashingly stupid penalties?

Old
03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:

Yeah...the players are lacking effort and passion.

Old
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
HoverCarle*

Booth hit is why Richards doesn't destroy people anymore. He even said so himself. He is still very physical though, and has lots of good hits

Old
03-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Terence Peterman

Hartnell absolutely obliterated a couple dudes last night. Once by the blueline, and again closer to the corner in the D zone. Giroux leads shifts with emotion pretty much every time he's effective. And until Richards turns into a 40-50 point player who can't play defense at a high level (likely never), I'll never understand why anyone tries to pick apart his game. Cripes.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

That is on the players, not the coach, stop looking at the coach as the issue here. He fell on the sword last week and said he overworked the guys(no chance he really believes that), gave the boys a chance to recharge the batteries and yet somehow the same results. Guys are not executing, his style of play requires guys to skate hard, not overextend their shifts, and work hard.

Coach and GM also called them out for "complacency". When talking about players on a sports team that is more likely a bunch of guys who do not want to work hard and listen to direction over coaching issues. I thought Laviolette's window with this crew was going to be 3 years, maybe this group is even more pathetic than I orginally thought?

Old
03-16-2011, 01:39 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Are you saying that this team only enjoys hockey when they're on the PK for mind-smashingly stupid penalties?
Yes. I am saying perhaps, this team plays its best hockey when they are playing on the edge. If they are playing "safe" - safe is death (Torts). You have to play to your strengths, I have always thought this team is best when they are pushing the pace and playing on the edge with big hits (After Booth, Richards was lost for months when he wasn't hitting like he used to, he got it back in the playoffs), feeding from the crowd, taking the odd penalty for crossing the line, but still - playing on the edge.

The past couple of months, I haven't seen this team playing on the edge and therefore, they haven't been playing with passion and intensity. Based on the replys, I guess I am alone on this one. Guess everything is just fine how it is. We are in first afterall. With this style, I should have no problem getting onto a golf course in May. Sweet.

Old
03-16-2011, 01:44 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Yes. I am saying perhaps, this team plays its best hockey when they are playing on the edge. If they are playing "safe" - safe is death (Torts). You have to play to your strengths, I have always thought this team is best when they are pushing the pace and playing on the edge with big hits (After Booth, Richards was lost for months when he wasn't hitting like he used to, he got it back in the playoffs), feeding from the crowd, taking the odd penalty for crossing the line, but still - playing on the edge.

The past couple of months, I haven't seen this team playing on the edge and therefore, they haven't been playing with passion and intensity. Based on the replys, I guess I am alone on this one. Guess everything is just fine how it is. We are in first afterall. With this style, I should have no problem getting onto a golf course in May. Sweet.
Maybe they haven't been playing on the edge because they are lacking passion and intensity because they have (basically, if not mathematically) had a playoff spot locked up for weeks?

Old
03-16-2011, 01:45 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Seems like your Cup hangover came a little later. Still hoping for the rematch though, that was a classic series through and through.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

There is a difference between laying hits (which they still do, ex: Mez), and playing without discipline. You implied that they were suffering because they played with discipline.